ENNOID XLITE & VESC

oh it is not FOC so phase current is not conttrolled than like in VESC?

looks about 100x100mm :+1: and with BT built in and usb C + no soldering :+1: nice one

estimated 75A battery current (quite conservative at the moment, will make it more official after high load final testing), maybe even more with proper cooling plates
70mm x 75mm x 16mm

VESC firmware support FOCā€¦this ESC wonā€™t make an exceptionā€¦

2 Likes

Beautiful!! Does it have IMU?

Looks like the specifications at ENNOID - ESC include an accelerometer as an option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. But I donā€™t know if means external/internal, like the bluetooth.
Now, thinking about the OW specifically. If he is aim to do a complete integral solution for OW too: As the VESC doesnā€™t have antispark mechanism, therefore the new narrow BMS OW friendly (the one he was talking about to be efficient in the 15s-20s range) has to be discharge too, and not only charge. Which I think is a good idea like Zippy pointed before.
Nice ENNOID, 100V ESC looks serious stuff. Looking forward to see more about it soon.

2 Likes

There is always the option to go with an anti-spark connector XT90S when used with a charge only BMS

2 Likes

nice size, Doesnt FOC require shunt resistor on each phase or at least on 2 phases as 3rd one can be calculated via SW? Or they are on other side?

EDIT: trace seems to be direct from the fet to the output. or Iā€™m missing something

Like for the BESC, the 3 shunts are on the mosfets low side located at the back of the board.This will allow for even higher voltage operation without requiring design changes. e. g.: using 150V rated fets & caps

4 Likes

nice, looking very good :slight_smile: Hope it will work well :+1: Iā€™m on UBOX now. it maxes out at 125 motor amps per motor and 200 amps battery total. More than enough for my single (for now) motor 650w motor (can take only about 90a motor current in summer without being too hot to touch :man_shrugging: during spring and fall 110a.

have to say though, it is already VERY fast single motor setup :DD 0-30kmh (20mph) in 3.6sec and 0-40kmh (25mph) in 6.6s

Second motor willl come later in July :wink:

I have to say that UBOX has been super great considering the price! Unlike FlipSky that is complete shit showā€¦ every one has at least few burned out before they switch to a proper VESC based esc or something else.

Any idea on the target price for your single one? Any plan for dual?

Iā€™ll start selling a few hundred units before jumping onto the next ESC project. Price should stay close to 200$ for this version I think, probably a bit less. Unlike you might imagine, a good ESC has fewer components & complexity than a good BMS on a hardware standpoint. So price can stay quite low. Will see how it goes with beta testing.

3 Likes

180 for single and 300 for dual sounds perfect in my mind. Large part of why UBOX Spintened gained its popularity is reliability and price (used to be 250usd for dual, now it is 300usd, still veery good) So if you manage to really bring that at that price I think you will sell few hundred pc in no time :smiley:

Ennoid, are the bmses 2oz copper? Is it possible to connecto ennoid tool via the bluetooth of the vesc itā€™s connected to ?

yes, 4 layer with 2oz copper. Some units of the very first batch were shipped with 1oz, but now all of them have 2oz.

Bluetooth functionnalities are still a work in progress. One day for sure it will be possible to get bluetooth data/config from connected vesc, but not yet. Iā€™m still mainly developping new hardware at the moment and now ramping up a pick and place machine to increase production. Will get back to software improvement next winter

2 Likes

Something like this for an aluminum case with laser cut sheet metal on both side for cooling? It could be potted to get it almost sealed. Iā€™m thinking about a 3dprinted cover sitting on top of that

4 Likes

I love the concept but how to keep the sheets from touching the terminals, especially if the mounting screws eventually loosen over time?

That metal sheet is a great way to provide support for the (very delicate) vertical USB connector though.

Your 3D printed cover could perhaps extend down into the spaces around each terminal (which would need to be widened) to keep the metal sheets from ever touching the terminals?

4 Likes

That could works. Potting is another option.

Vertical USB may look fragile, but it isnā€™t at all

2 Likes

I was only referring to the mounting. Itā€™s a lot easier to tilt over, and snap the soldering, with a vertical USB connector compared to a horizontal one.

Solderable ā€œlegsā€ can help anchor the connector but Iā€™ve still seen far too many vertical connectors fail after being used for a while if they were not properly anchored. Especially since the solderable anchoring legs require a separate soldering step if the rest of the board is all surface mount. Some companies skip this extra soldering step to save money.

Now I understand. Make sense

2 Likes

Would you have one lying around to measure by any chance? Iā€™d be grateful.

What if I pre-bend them before soldering? That way there wonā€™t be a stress point? Sorry if Iā€™m too persistent, Iā€™m not trying to ā€œconvinceā€ you, I just really wanna make this work or make sure it wonā€™tā€¦

Also, not sure if it was asked recently and I missed it, any ETA on the ENNOID-BMS-24S-LITE?

Thanks!

Board are approx. 7mm without taking connectors into account.
LITE 24S production is approx. a month away XLITE will come probably a few weeks after if everything goes well, but I cannot warranty it wonā€™t be delayed a bit by other factors.

1 Like