ENNOID XLITE & VESC

That’s too much then, back to the drawing board :cry: What’s the tallest thing? The step file is inaccurate then…

What’s the final design there actually? Did you manage to fit it into the space I measured? Do you want me to verify it’ll fit a OW?

As I mentionned earlier, the inductor is thicker than what is on the step file unfortunately

1 Like

yeah conductive plated between all those high power I/O needs some work fro sure :smiley: but looks sexy! looks like some we will have quite a few quality single channel VESC options very soon, some other companies are soon to release single ch as well

Can i bolt two SC6-5 on Common? for load- and charge-?

Sure. You can either use two separate 5mm cable lugs for both load- & charge-. They can be stacked upside down on top of each others

or you can also do a single crimp of the two cables (one big & one smaller) in a single cable lug.

2 Likes

I wish the charge only board was more cost effective, only 10% difference with HD…
In certain cases I don’t even need balancing, just monitoring

1 Like

The global part shortage is making it hard to produce electronics at low prices at the moment. A lot of parts are B.O. until next year and design changes are needed to keep producing. I’m trying to avoid non optimal modifications. Some IC with bad quiescent current are still available for cheap, but nobody uses them for that reason…

I have some supply contract that I’m still able to fulfill with my inventory, so there is no valid reasons to lower prices for the charge only versions of the BMS and become short on parts later.

For instance, I’m moving away from the normally widely available LM5164/LM5163 regulator IC that normally cost less than 2$ and now cost more than 35$… I will now use some other IC that cost approx. 4$ instead.

6 Likes

Good idea to mount caps vertically? ESC beta started? No drv right?

Yes beta started, but focus is still on BMS dev, so things are going slowly on ESC front.
No drv.
Vertical caps would make the esc way less compact

1 Like

I had some time to finalize the XLITE concept today. With connectors a bit more centered, it should fit in a onewheel enclosure according to the previous drawing supplied earlier on this thread. I killed the idea of having an XLITE 15S or 18S version and went straight to 24S

For keeping it small, I removed some connectors that might be less useful for a charge only BMS, like push button, I2C. BMS will still wake up upon charger, USB or +5V CAN connection. Only 2 channels for temperature readings instead of 9 or 10 channels… It should still be enough for most users.

Specs:
Charge only BMS with a small footprint of 35mm x 92.5mm
XT30 male & female connector for pack & charger plugs
Should work from approx ~10S & up to 24S cells (150V absolute max voltage)
Sharing most IC with other 24S boards. CAN bus IC is non isolated for cost & practicability reasons. No buzzer.
Max charging current approx 20A (maybe a bit more)

11 Likes

Any issues plugin two of these in series for 30s pack?

not possible

1 Like

Cant @jesus build two 15s packs and wire them in series? Or would that cause problems with the BMS?

Maximum is 24S with this BMS version.
Connecting two units in series won’t work. Like other SS, it is not designed for this

Is that just this BMS or in general? If the packs are completely separate from each other there shouldn’t be a problem connecting them in series? If one does a safety shutoff it breaks the series so all functionality should still work?

In general, you cannot have multiple devices operating at different voltage levels still communicating between them, you would need isolation and other compromise… this raises cost & size. Everything can be done, but there are some tradeoff to do when you design something…

BMS in general are still misunderstood, that is so unfortunate :pensive:

I could ask you, can you take two 60V ESC, connect them in series to get 120V ESC? Nope, it does not work like that.

As a user of an XR, waiting for the narrow version fully optimized for just 15s-20s (10s-24s is way overkill for my needs, not optimal, and probably expensive as it was said before) and with charge/discarge capabilities, and same features/capabilities as the regular ennoid to possibly use it along the ennoid VESC (which doesn’t have anti spark switch and needs proper BMS).

This XLITE 24 or having nothing…you will have the choice. I will still try to tweak some little things in the firmware specific for XLITE, so it might be possible to use it as single port charge/discharge with PWM precharge. Will it works as expected? maybe…otherwise, antispark connector still do exist instead of having integrated precharge.

1 Like

Can i read LTC6812 slave board data into VESC tool with ISOSPI adapter?

That looks perfect! Do you have a price estimate?