Ender3 All Metal Direct Drive Upgrade

Yeh the question was about the lenght of the PTED tube at the end. Without I can imagine the filament is not guided to the nozzle.

As long as the stock one was 40mm, it will be fine. I replaced mine a very long time ago as it was damaged, so I am not sure.

I think it’s 40mm otherwise I will order one.

Well as enclosed as I could get. The relative humidity inside the dry box is 11%. Hopefully nylon won’t absorb much. I left it in there over night and still it’s not making any popping sound. So far it seems good. Also what migjt be helping is that, the filament is not directly exposed to air at any point, except inside the BGM extruder just for a bit.

Printing benchy. :crossed_fingers: with PVA coating with bed at 45C. It’s important not to go higher because PVA starts to soften at higher temperature.

4 Likes

Looks good :crossed_fingers:. Only thing the huge later holes will dissipate all the heat. Maybe make a square print to allow the motor to move up and down but that closes the printer inside. Even a blanket on top will temporary fix it. I made my enclosure in a way that all the printer except the power supply and display fits inside.

In the dried chamber you can also had a heater sheet. The one used for reptile. They are cheap and it helps in keeping filament tried.

I see you passed by IKEA :grin: perfect tables for enclosure.

1 Like

Yeah, I should remove all electronic to outside. The space inside is enough to have the motor inside, it’s just that the position of the ptfe tubes coming out from the dry box makes it hard to seal everything in. I have to sit down and make some changes.

But I am not worried about heat escaping because I just have to main 45C inside, same as bed. Basically what I want is that there is no temperature gradient as the printing goes on.

I have it. Just never used it. I fell, it’s not going to so anything because the moisture content inside will still remain the same? If it does work, I wonder how.

How did you guys mounted the filament roll?

I will put on top of the enclosure. If without then on top of the printer. It’s easier with direct drive or the filament will be to close to the print

ONe question whihc are the offset for the BLtouch? The one to put inside the Marlin firmware.

The BL touch is +42mm in X axis, and +2mm in Y axis compared to the nozzle.

2 Likes

Can you take a pic of how the small motor is wired? I got mine without jst and no instructions lol :joy:

2 Likes

You have to swap the central wires from the printer JST. because the coils ared inverted otherwise the gear will turn in the wrong direction.
1 sec and I take the picture

From left to right is red - blue -green - black

2 Likes

On mine it goes Red - Blue - Green - Black. I wired mine with a dupont connector so it could be replaced easily (all x carriage electronics have connectors so I can service stuff easily). If it rotates the wrong way, you can change it in firmware, or just rotate the connector 180 degrees.

2 Likes

Do you guys have a nice stl file for a roll holder? I know a lot are out there but maybe you already tried one extensively that can be place on top of the enclosure. Thanks! Otherwise I will place the stock one there.

I am still using the stock one that’s on top of the control box and never had an issue with it to make me want to get a better one.

1 Like

With hard steel nozzle, 9f you have experience, did you also in read the printing temp about 15-20C to cope with less heat conductance?

Ah mine pancake stepper came with out the flat spot on the shaft. I would advice to make it in case your is the same

I haven’t used one yet. I have one still in its package, but never had a filament that I would need it for, so I will add it my new printer. I guess it would be worth it to do a temp tower to check what temperature to use with it.

1 Like

Yeh it’s for printing abrasive material.

Thanks guys for all the replies!

One more question, do you enable any motion settings? They seems interesting:

// MOTION SETTINGS ---------------------------------
// There are 2 new acceleration/jerk controls available in this firmware that can result is better print quality and
// smoother movement. To try each out just enable them below.
// Due to Anet board restrictions this is always disabled on those machines.
//#define JUNCTION_DEVIATION_ON
//#define S_CURVE_ACCELERATION_ON