Enclosure waterproofing and port placement

Hello! I’m almost done with my build, I am now deciding what shape I will make my fiberglass enclosure and where all the ports will be.

I made a little cardboard test enclosure to make sure the electronics will fit. While figuring this out I had a few problems, which hopefully you peeps can help me out with. What see-through material should be used to cover the the battery indicator, and where can I get it? Also, what is the best way of waterproofing the ports? I was thinking of hot glue and a rubber cover, but are there other better ways to waterproof the ports? Thanks!

1 Like

The fewer holes the better.
You don’t NEED a battery gauge.
@b264 has a good solution to the battery gauge, and @mmaner made a similar 3d printed option.

3 Likes

Or chuck a Bluetooth module in and use your phone to check the battery.

6 Likes

True but having a physical way to check via charge port is very convenient

1 Like

On my newest board, the only holes are for the motor phase wires.

Removable lipos so no charge port
Unity for push to start and battery monitor

2 Likes

Set it up. Ride for a bit, if happy, seal shut the whole thing with silicone glue. Every hole.

3 Likes

You can get rid of those holes with the MR60 connector epoxied in. My newest favorite way.

9 Likes

Good call :+1:

That’s a good idea. How watertight is the connection itself?

cant have too many glands :grin:

4 Likes

Very watertight if you epoxy the connector into the enclosure from both sides

You might be right. I haven’t tried with silicone, but I always do that with hot glue. Hot glue just forgets that it’s glue the moment you spray some isopropyl alcohol IPA.

He could just use a gauge that is made to be encased.
I use one for my secondary battery

Edit: or just not have it in the case but that’s crazy talk…

It’s still an extra hole to seal and potentially leak.
You can modify that same gauge into a pocket gauge that plugs into charge port when needed.

Not to mention after you’ve ridden your board for awhile you kind of get a feel for what battery life you have

2 Likes

On my thane board, I just used a ebike gauge. Fully enclosed :slight_smile:

Edit: I can ride for 60+ km. I still require my phone/davega to figure out if I need to head home

I recommend externally mounting anything that requires a hole in the enclouser, IE the charge port and the On Off/Loopkey. Then use bluetooth or a charge port voltage checker.

Thats what I do and it works like a charm.

I kinda wanna get another charge port/loopkey riser from ya. The abs cement fixed the last one pretty good.
I just want one in my parts bin for potential builds and another to give away in my secret Santa box.

2 Likes

As soon as I finish up the rest for people Ill get you some more.

1 Like

No rush at all dude.

1 Like

Just be carefully that each female pin has a hole on the bottom, probably to help air get out while you trying to connect

If you don’t cover it water will get in, but you can’t use resin directly if it’s too thin or it will get inside the contacts

2 Likes