Enclosure waterproofing and port placement

One cable gland to rule them all!

Water resistant charge port and power button. Waterproof PG21 cable gland. Waterproof IP67 junction box. Hell, even a waterproof remote.

8 Likes

@Venom121212 One is good but 2 is less annoying to my OCD? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This is also a big “gotcha” with making loopkeys. I remember the day I found about the holes… LoLz

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of that? Sounds like a great idea for my build. Thanks!

What about the sensor wires?

Yes

I don’t use them anymore, sensors just added failure points with little benefit. The sensors are the only electrical part of a BLDC skate motor that aren’t waterproof. Just get rid of them. Unless you’re using bindings they really aren’t necessary. They are a luxury. A luxury that can make the drivetrain fail more often.

3 Likes

Sensors with conformal coatings are waterproof.
Sensors are critical for low speed efficiency.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Actually, it seems like my range went up when I ditched the sensors. It may be because the hip flick to get the wheel turning saves some power each time, I don’t know.

1 Like

Hmm, that could be it. But I would be surprised it contributed that much. What KV are your motors? And I am assuming you have 14 pole pairs.

170Kv yes 14P

I used extra Sugru I had to seal any holes I made. Works like a charm and very easy to cut and remove if needed.

1 Like

I like Sugru, but it is too expensive, I rather use epoxy, and use a Dremel if I need to remove it…

2 Likes

Hey, just dug up this old thread and I was curious if anyone has thoughts on using Flex Paste for waterproofing. PHIL’S BACK AT IT AGAIN https://youtu.be/lrQKFmje6so

4 Likes

Does this glands are also waterproof when running multiple wires through them? Like if you get the board vertical and pour a cup of water, won’t the space between the toes let it through?

1 Like

There’s a neoprene/rubber ring that inserts between the cables and the gland. When you screw it tight, it compresses the cables a bit and makes a very tight fit. I don’t think it would survive being underwater for a while but it definitely resists water. I made sure to pick the tightest gland I could cram all the wires through.

5 Likes

Nice, will take a look, never thought of using them because I assumed they only really worked for a single cable

Edit: it’s like this on the inside? image

2 Likes

2 of these https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JJZS28H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 worked very well for me (IP68), just had to cut the yellow isolation ring after I pulled through the cables.

1 Like

Nope, just hollow but that would have been cool. The wires and cable braid being compressed takes up all negative space. I considered putting some silicone on it but haven’t seen any signs of water or mud ingress to make me do it.

It was quite literally the smallest cable gland I could force all cables through.

1 Like

I will look in these multi cable ones in the future, way easier than using connectors and the right ones will hold up even underwater for short periods

3 Likes

don’t want to buy it.
don’t want to buy it.
don’t want to buy it.
don’t want to buy it.

fuck it I want some

4 Likes