EMF Field from battery fried my phone (with wireless charging)

Hello boys,

I just wanted to see if anyody had this happen to him/her before.

I was testing some new motors on a new build (10S4P, FOCBOX unity, 70kv hubs)

I just finished soldering the plugs for the hall sensors, after which i ran motor detection.

In this time the phone(running vesc tool) was lying on the battery pack .
I finished detection succesfully, uploaded the new settings.

Then i tried the temote, full throttle.
At that moment, when the motors reached max speed, the phones screen colors went completely crazy, after that full white. It was still very very very dimly readable. It still did this after reboot, even on the boot logo.
The amoled screen is fucked.

My theory is the phone’s wireless charging picked up something from the battery (as i was pulling a lot of current)
And decided to commit suicide.

It was a XIaomi Mi Mix 3, in perfect condition, nothing wrong with it, not a year old.

Thanks for listening to my sad story, and if you know more about what actually happened here, plz post.

8 Likes

Bruh, I’m sorry about your phone. This is crazy because I just told this FB dude that putting your board in a Faraday cage would be dumb.

2 Likes

It’s hard to believe that your phone doesn’t have some sort of protection against things like this, like a handshake with a wireless charger dock or something :thinking:

Crazier things have happened, I guess :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

It’s a Xiaomi. You can’t get handshakes for the value. It has bare minimum.

(Own a Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro)

4 Likes

I thought their mix line up was supposed to be flagship

Nah. 300€ for a flagship kinda phone? My Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro 128GB cost 300€. High quality stuff tbh. Imagine other Xiaomis. There would be wireless charging from anything that emits something recognizable as wireless charging. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yupp, screens are pretty sensitive to magnetic forces. You can ruin a PC monitor with a neodym magnet.

Running alot of current thru a conductor while phone on there could def. Be enough. Such bad luck tho. Could easly happen to anyone.

5 Likes

Hense the handshake(/confirmation code or sequence… Whatever you want to call it ), but yeah I see what you mean :stuck_out_tongue:

I highly doubt its the wireless charging. It follows the qi standard and they have plentyfull of handshakes between reciever and transmitter before it actually charges. But I cant prove it didnt have anything to do with it ofc

1 Like

Maybe the screen is not as insulated as other phones, so it got fried by the EMF. Weird. Never heard of it in phones. :smiley:

I don’t claim that i am 100 percent sure, before i would have told people that this is impossible, but i have never seen a phone break in this way. Maybe it’s because its an Amoled screen. I repeat, the phone was in pristine condition.
I appreciate every input on the subject as i am intrigued by the invisible potential destructive powers of my board.

Yes maybe it’s something like that.
To be clear the phone is working, the screen had just completely died now, touch still working also the wired and wireless charging ciruits are fine and work. (i can hear the sound)
But pure blackness only.

This is why EMC testing and certification is so important :smiley: (which is virtually nonexistant in esk8 this far)

1 Like

Water cooled and faraday caged electronics in esk8 when. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Would issues like this become more prevalent with higher voltage systems?

I’ve got no knowledge when it comes to electronics, but since esk8 seems to be headed in that direction, I figure I’d ask

1 Like

The pack was actually not diy. Its a Enertion S.P.A.C.E pack hahah this scammy name

1 Like

All right, we kind of know what W.A.S.P meant. But what the frick does S.P.A.C.E stand for?

Sub Par Australian Certification Edition

Cuz they’re t r a s h

What did the w.a.s.p stand for?

3 Likes

SMART-CHARGING | POWERFULL | AERODYNAMIC | COMPACT | ENERGY-CELL

8 Likes