EMF Field from battery fried my phone (with wireless charging)

Thanks you Lord Jason Potter for coming up with this cool name
rip enertion

Warning. Approaching. Slow. Pedestrian.

2 Likes

A Faraday Cage wouldn’t have helped in this case and is still a dumb idea to block Electromagnetic signals. Especially in this case since he was testing out his remote on the board.

The Facebook post:

Actually the BMS is not even in the pack, it was sold serately with the “e-tray” for the unity.

So the “smart-charging” part is just a blatant lie

1 Like

I am just surprised this never happened to anybody else before.
That’s my biggest reason for doubt at the moment

Did noboy ever put their phone on his pack while doing motor tests?
In the whole history of vesc?
seems unlikely to me, or am just super ignorant and does everybody know this is bad practice?

Dude I made like 10k spotwelds 20cm away from my xiaomi a2 lite a 150$ phone and it would only sometimes mess with wifi which was already poor af

And now I continue to do the same with my p30, no issues whatsoever

2 Likes

Interesting.
Do any of those phones have an Amoled screen?

K20 Pro states: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors

Yet I don’t spot weld. But I have placed my phone screen down on the battery many times while testing stuff. Weird. It doesn’t have wireless charging though.

Xiaomi was led i think, p30 is oled

I just try avoiding putting anything on battery packs regardless . I Fuck up of course but I don’t leave stuff on it when I’m running tests. There’s always an enclosure between my battery what ever is on top of it.

My phone doesn’t go anywhere near it since it doesn’t have a reason to.

2 Likes

Capacitive coupling. It is a thing. That is why wireless charging works. It probably had nothing to do with the wireless charging though. The current flow in your enclosure coupled with the circuit feeding your screen and overloaded it. Capacitive coupling reduces rapidly with distance so even a few inches of separation would have saved your screen. Higher current flow increases the coupled power, that is why it happened at a high throttle setting.

2 Likes

If anything happened, it was the vibrations from throttling that dislodged the display connector, open the phone if you can, reseat the connector.

4 Likes

I’ve definitely set my phone (samsung s10+) on my pvc top mount box while running detection but never directly on the battery. I’d guess 5 cm away probably.

I don’t think your battery could make enough of an emf to affect your phone. I’m thinking you hit a bad vibrational frequency that your phone hated; opera singer-broken glass style.

Now what would happen if I out my phone in wireless charger mode and put it on the battery :thinking: I still think it checks for a qi capable device before actually submitting a charge.

Nah i don’t trust that at all : i have a better explanation :

the phone lying on the board going full trotle and not rolling got a shit ton of vibration in a way no phone maker thought about, which was enough for disconect partly a loose conector inside.

You probably can ensure that (and fix it) “easily” if you’re used to dismount cell phones

1 Like

yeah, you were faster than me on this one

1 Like

The display went through many different phases while dying. I dont think its a connector issue because of this.

The touch screen also still works. It really looked like he oleds were overloarded.
but you could still be right i guess.

well when you gradually disconnect a display you got generally

• flickers
    then - horizontal lines
    then - different color shades (proably green or pink)
    and then nothing

could be wrong though. But i doubt you got emf from a battery, i mean the motors if you did a sudden brake maybe, but battery would be really scarry

Ok thanks.

Your description is not exact but fitting to what happened.

Then i guess there is only one thing left to do.

I will make an inductive dummy load and place it on the battery.
I will measure this way if there are any fields generated.
After that i will open my phone to chek the connector.
thanks for the input

1 Like

Did you use HFI mode? Because that also generates ALOT of EMI.

Nope, just plain old sensored FOC