eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

be that as it may, the problems Win experienced persist to this day and are based on the motor locknut that does not adequately secure and center the axle to the motor can.

2 Likes

Yes, I think it was the OG 72kv, though.

2 Likes

No. 100% sure not OG. Because it had the rough surface finish. Not smooth can like ours.

I ā€œthinkā€ the rough surface was OG 72kv, the smooth can with locking screws were OG 58kvā€¦

And speaking of the motor can locking screws, Kenna and Nathan told me directly they were abandoned because they did not adequately lock the end-cap to the canā€¦ so they were eliminated.

Now were back full circle and the end-caps are coming loose because no locking screws and no thread compound on the can and end-capā€¦ go figureā€¦

Correct. Pretty sure Winfly got the ones that were supposed to come to me. But to be fair, I would send them to him first, too.

2 Likes

Aww thats cute

:sunglasses:

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welcome to Derail Jail

Nope. I have OG 72 and 58. Both smooth can. I am using the 58 and 72 are just sitting (hooked them up to ESC though)

@Goldrabe also has the 75kV smooth can OG drives.

2 Likes

Popping corks everywhere will sound like Beirut in the 80ā€™s

Slapdown from the Mishra man! I stand corrected.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently running my 58kv without any unscrewing of the cans but hopefully this isnā€™t one of those ā€œjust a matter of timeā€ thing. :sweat_smile:

Current setup is 12S with 6" pneumies at 60 psi. ESC is programmed with 60A, -60, 20A, -4A, Brake with No Reverse.

I canā€™t tell if itā€™s because of the pneumies but top speed feels really solid. Could easily go faster without wobbles. Not exactly sure what my top speed is but Iā€™d place it around the 30mph range seeing Iā€™m about 160 lbs.

The mi/wh isnā€™t great; definitely chews through more battery on the same route than with thane however this is expected. I do plan on getting the tires pumped to 70psi to see if itā€™ll improve efficiency without sacrificing ride quality too much.

Motors donā€™t accelerate as hard as belts do. This is also expected. Riding uphill through a parking garage didnā€™t have the torque twitchiness that belts do but definitely had enough torque and power to haul me up from a standstill. Riding up and down the garage (6 floors) only made the motors slightly warm to the touch.

Sorry for not having any specific numbers. The ESC Iā€™m using doesnā€™t allow for external connections to things like BT modules or DaVega. Iā€™m currently testing it out but once thatā€™s done, Iā€™ll switch over to something that can pull data and report back.

I wonder if the unscrewing of the cans has something to do with vibrations loosening the cans and maybe thatā€™s why Iā€™ve yet to experience the unscrewing because the pneumies are muting all the vibrations.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll know more in the summer when I can ride them daily. We shall see how mine hold up :grin:

2 Likes

For the record, I have the same 72kv model that @Winfly was riding

1 Like

Hi,
Due to timezone differences I just caught up on the thread, most of you are probably asleep now.
We are deeply sorry for the issues with the can unscrewing and will provide support until they are fixed. (However this only applies to the customers who brought from us, the others who brought from lofty is outside of our control, unfortunately)

I have spoken with the supplier and we are working out a solution for the drives.

this is what we are thinking, adding an extra in the design of the drives. The drives shipped out from this point will be changed.

For the time being, would you be able to do this?

For those who are experiencing issues from the group buy or from our store Please be patient with us. Please DM us wif you have issues with the drive and we will sort through the DMs and get back to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience

9 Likes

Thanks for staying on top of this, Nathan.

2 Likes

What a mess, I canā€™t believe the supplier is not testing anything.

Iā€™m waiting for my Eovan DD to arrive and sweating while I read all this :cold_face:
Beetween the broken axles and this, Itā€™s getting REALLY scrary

1 Like

Well shit, I plan to use bergs on these 58KV drives. Hopefully mine dont unravel themselves. I wonā€™t be able to get mine going for another 2-3 weeks.

4 Likes

Oh, Eovan. Nice guys who promise to send me their stuff to check out, and yet never actually do it. :grinning:

1 Like

Whats the point of swapping sides of the drive when you put epoxy in?
Canā€™t you just swap one of the phase wires so theyā€™re going in opposite directions? (Both being ā€œtighteningā€ the can)

1 Like

yes you can, or reverse mode :+1: