eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Riding in the rain can be pretty messy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Water resistant meaning that there are certain seals that could fail due to prolonged water exposure? Is there a way one could coat them to make these waterproof?

2 Likes

The drives will be fine when used in rain/ wet conditions, the cans are sealed. Let me double check with the supplier tomorrow :wink:

1 Like

If you talk with them ask them about conformal coating with the sensor pcbs. If the seals fail, this is the problematic spot for shorts. The motors by themselves donā€™t care about water.

5 Likes

yes 270 vs 599
But the revel kit includes a battery, a great custom esc by hobbywing, wheels, kegel, abec adapters and the remote.
The Revel direct drive is very reliable and the quality is top notch and after reading all this posts, itā€™s seems (beside the Elofty first batch) all others was crapā€¦
So considering, the price, the warranty and the stellar customer service, the Revel kit seems to be the best ā€œbudgetā€ direct drive.
Concerning the range, i canā€™t see a problemā€¦ with swappable battery you have a virtual illimited range. Iā€™m curious about the final price of your buildā€¦ Iā€™'m pretty sure it will be more than the price of a revel kitā€¦

3 Likes

The lack of ports (ie uart or can) is some what of a disappointment as that means no telemetry or other add-ons. So it looks like the Revel remote has telemetry based off the pic. Cool! Although youā€™re still locked into their system. Also you say custom but I donā€™t believe you can adjust braking, regen, and throttle limits with the revel? There may be some present modes however.

So for argument sake :sweat_smile: $599 for the revel right?

$270 for power train which includes 90mm wheels used by Boosted (which I hear are awesome) and sensored motors. Idk if the revel has sensored motors, I couldnā€™t find it on their site.
$125 for 15 mile battery
$20 for cheap nano remote off since the revel uses a BT remote
$100 for esk8supplyā€™s dual vesc (although this was a one time thing to be fair)

$515 In total unless I did my math wrong. You could spend the other $85 bolstering up any of the other parts (probably the ESC although at 185, I think you could go with dual VESCs like the one from TB) Maybe throw an extra $10 BT module into the mix so you can use Metr.

The Elofty is a budget option too. Hopefully itā€™ll be a good budget option with the upgrades from the latest batch. For the record, I do see the appeal in the Revel Kit and I think itā€™s a great kit! Iā€™m just more a DIY guy myself :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I personally think revel is a great kit. At the beginning we were asking revel if we could buy just the drives and he had said yes, but then said no. Itā€™s great for a non diy guy.

6 Likes

Got the base plates in. Swapped the kingpin and put some Riptide Pivots in them. Drives should be here Friday!

7 Likes

I got the drives today somehow. Dhl changed the shipping from Friday to today. Anyhow theses things are dense!

However I do have a few small nitpicks.

1. I noticed that a regular skate bearing isnā€™t able to sit flush on the axle. It ends up sitting half on solid axle and half on threads. Thatā€™s not really a huge deal but thought Iā€™d mention it.

2. Also my freaking Indy baseplates donā€™t fit :sob::sob::sob:.
    Seems theyā€™re slightly different.

5 Likes

Bearings not sitting flat could cause premature failure. Should be a problem in theory but in practice, itā€™ll be interesting to see if it causes any issues.

Do the base plates not fit because of angles?

3 Likes

The bearings should not be a problem, have you tried putting some wheels on it yet?
Are the indy baseplates for single kingpins? the angle seems different

2 Likes

Yeah the angles are wrong. I could just hammer the kingpin out of the elofty baseplate and swap them. However after looking at this iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d be able to mount these drop through in TKP config on a hummie deck. Iā€™d have to bottom mount if I wanted to run TKP.

1 Like

@ThermalChild - yeah with TKP I needed a small riser

2 Likes

Yeah no drop though on TKP for sure. Try the double kingpin if you want to drop though. Just make the rear truck as tight as possible and have the front looser. That way you will be able to carve and donā€™t have speed wobbles

3 Likes

Iā€™m probably gonna run DKP even though I donā€™t want to. Mainly because I need to buy twice the amount of bushings and pivot cups. Also the fact that the kingpin is smaller kinda limits being able to use full size bushings. Depending on the top speed DKP may not be an issue.

2 Likes

whats wrong with using the original DD baseplates and taking out the ā€œmiddleā€ piece?

3 Likes

Asides from looks, itā€™s a baseplate that riptide specifically makes a pivot cup for. From what I understood of people telling me it should have fit but doesnā€™t.

1 Like

Are the wheel mounting patterns any different?

1 Like

Iā€™ll post more when I get home. Fitted my 85mm otangs on them quickly yesterday. Required a bit of oomph. Itā€™s weird though. You only use one bearing and the axle is stepped to the size of a bearing spacer and then it kinda slides into the bearing seat of the wheel.

4 Likes

Interesting! Having one of the wheel bearings replaced will make the bearing not sitting flush less of an issue.

I wonder if you can open up the can to replace the bearing however. Hopefully!

1 Like