eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

10 Likes

Looks clean. What wheels?

Chinese 97. Feel good but not great.

2 Likes

I replaced them with flat head bolts and canā€™t see a difference in clearance. If thereā€™s any, itā€™s within 0.1mm. It would make sense if there was a countersunk hole and the bolt would be able to sink in but this way the head was sticking out so it didnā€™t really help with clearance.

I did. Maybe I didnā€™t heat it enough. I wasnā€™t sure how much I can heat it without damaging the motor so I went easy on it.

BTW, I figured that the good old bots for a flat screwdriver work best where you want to use loctite as they are not easily stripped.

How does the traction control help when testing on a bench with no load? I have two other boards with both sensored and unsensored motors and it never happened to me there. I repeated the motor detection a few times and the problem seems to have disappeared now. Iā€™m now getting some weird sound in one of the motors though. :roll_eyes: This thing is never ending trouble.

I donā€™t know how it happens but I have seen that behavior plenty of times(on my belt drive board with TB motors) when I used to have shared ppm. Once I shifted to CAN+traction control, I have not seen it.

BTW, did the off axis problem get resolved though? If not, then have some serious QC issues with these new drives.

What does it sound like? bearing issue, loose magnet? BTW, since you see into the drive by opening the adapter, you can probably check if itā€™s a loose magnet. I am curious to see what it looks like inside.

I went up the driveway once on them then put my 107s on haha

Yes, I managed to center it. The mounting holes are slightly larger than the bolts so thereā€™s some wiggle room.

Hereā€™s a vid. Sounds like the motor is rubbing against the hanger? Itā€™s only in low RPM. Maybe this is only a problem on the bench. I did a quick test ride in the garage and donā€™t remember hearing the sound while riding.

Interesting! What firmware are you using?

I believe itā€™s 3.48. Do you think it has to do with FW?

I was wondering if it sounded like cogging.

If it would be cogging the motors where running in different directions randomly or stuttering at startup. But I would also guess itā€™s hall sensor or phase wire related.
@janpom have you tried switching phase wires on the strange sounding motor and do a detection again?

I did repeat the motor detection a few times. The sound is the same for both motors.

I just realized that developing an abec clone adapter for these is kinda pointlessā€¦ The biggest wheels you could get is 97mm

Are the slick revolution rough stuff wheels a abec clone core?

2 Likes

Yes. Did 12 miles yesterday, swapped Evolve 97 and did 30miles groupride today.

10 Likes

100mm MBS Unstoppables
107mm ABEC SuperFlys
110mm Slick Revolution Rough Stuff

All ABEC core

1 Like

4 Likes

2 Likes

@Winfly, did Keena, ever mention why the factory discontinued the other version of the drives?

2 Likes

I think she can still get them, but at a higher price

Also, she wants to do a group buy for rubber wheels