eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Mine finally arrived today. Will be a bit before I get to try them out since I don’t have any wheels that fit, but I’m excited nonetheless :slight_smile:

The unity lost the race it seems :roll_eyes::joy:

7 Likes

You should make sure the the standard skateboard bearings go on the shaft.

1 Like

Will check tmrw

Yup. Think same boat here. Either sand to reduce or send back. The factory should be doing these simple tests before sending out.

i have been speaking with Kenna & I’m going to sand them down. I really dont fancy swapping out the axel, looks to be a bit of a pain in the ass. They are typically reluctanct to sort the issue themselves.

and yes, the factory should be checking these things as I have measured all the axels and found them to be wildly out. None of them are same diameter along the entire shaft. They all taper slightly being thicker towards the hanger by 0.05 to 0.1mm

1 Like

I’ve been hanging off buying a set and @Tonkatron makes me think I need to keep on waiting - to fuck with needing a dremel on brand new kit! and as for the axels :roll_eyes:

1 Like

All four of my axles were the right diameter. The rear left was the largest, but only due to the light oxidation from heat treatment.

Why does everyone seems okay with getting products that clearly shouldn’t have passed quality control ?

Axles covered in rust isn’t just because of heat treat, many steel components are heat treated and certainly don’t come covered in rust. If they stuffed something up, missed a follow up treatment or the vendor put them in a bucket and left it outside while it was raining they might have come back from heat treat covered in rust but in that case they should have taken issue with the vendor and not accepted them like their customers shouldn’t be accepting them either.

I know Torque Boards had issues with axle size but my understanding is they tried to rectify the issue in house but missed a set or two.

5 Likes

totally agree… this sounds like some child producing these for some class project with his 12 yo friends.

I could teach my 3 yo nephew a better QA process than these guys seem to use.

just going to leave this hear see if any eLofy people want to learn something totally new to them

1 Like

The drives I got where totally fine. However Ownboard were showing them as one of their new products in 2019 on a Chinese fair. I contacted them to ask when it will be available and they told me earliest will be August. Seeing all the different iterations and KV´s makes me guess that they are still in a kind of prototyping development state.

1 Like

I have a video I made with @Tonkatron last night as we discovered all these problems, it will be available in 3.5 hours, I’ll post it here

7 Likes

My axles fit appropriately with standard skate bearings

1 Like

I ordered three sets with trucks and the grey boosted wheels directly from the manufacturer of the original elofty drives.

I will let you know what I get but I am certain these rust-heat-treated DDs with sleeves are not a derivative of the first drives we saw, they are something completely different I guess.

1 Like

Story goes, Ownboard showed interest to collaborate with lofty, took a few drives and went to the Hong Kong convention. Those were the 58kv lofty drive. They went and broke up with lofty because they can cloning the DirectDrive. We have been in contact with Kenna and although she doesn’t have the authority to immediately change design for us, she has a little influence on the production. There for we now have 72kv motors with motor sleeves and ABEC adapters and CNC @mishrasubhransu’s Kegel AT hub is in the work before we move onto casting. These drive that we are receiving right now are literally their very early product and they can only improve from here.

So moral of the story is, Chinese businesses are assholes. Tbh Kenna is the nicest sales rep I have interacted with. Despite all the hiccups with shipping, ppl are getting their stuff. Kenna is waiting on getting a different shipping account so she can stop using expedited shipping. And yes you can get around Kenna to go directly to the OEM.

8 Likes

Can’t say enough good words for Kenna too. I’m probably one of the earliest buyers of the eLofty DD and yes, they have little things but for the price, nothing to complain about.

4 Likes

Here it is

7 Likes

So you are saying that these drives with the textures on the cans are the very first drives? Even older than the ones Bill, Daddye and I have?

Because from @Lee_Wright’s video it is clear that what I had and what they have is a very different product. Mine looks completely sealed, even after I take the adapter off. Mine also looks bigger because there is no taper in the can. God knows what’s going on.

Also @Lee_Wright, the other person mentioned 28poles or 14 pole pairs. Would you know where that number came from? Because the one I have is confirmed to have 20 magnets total.

1 Like

Can someone send me a link for the STL file for abec adapters?

1 Like

give mo a hug. he looked heartbroken lol.

2 Likes

Mo is @Tonkatron, he gave me that info, he will be able to tell you where he heard that!

@mutantbass yeah he took it well! Mo is a chilled dude!

@ryansinatra the one on thingiverse is for clone ABEC. I have a genuine ABEC adaptor I just designed and is being printed now.

4 Likes