eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

:wink:

I made them for my SR TKP

11 Likes

So… these 6inch airless should work as they have kegel cores ? Or is there 2 different kind of kegel cores out there in the Eskating jungle ?

2 Likes

yeah, there’s only 1 kegle core.
The TB 110’s should fit on any kegle adapter

The reason esk8supply’s adapters won’t work with TB DD’s is because the mounting holes are different.
This part:

1 Like

You were always talking about if the 6inch airless tires fit the TBDD right? Not if the non-TB kegel adapter fit the TBDD because that seems apparent that it wouldn’t.

These aireless tires should work and that’s awesome!

@kook
Sorry about you previous experience with elofty, we are dealing with a different supplier here (except for the 72kv ones

2 Likes

@ThomasL at this time, I wouldn’t recommend riding 6" on direct drives.Until I’m able to fully test it and know that there won’t be any issues.

2 Likes

It’ll be fuckin weak that’s for sure. At least on 2wd

Damon had the first edition TB direct drives on the janux hubs with bergs. That thing was the shit. It was quick and even though it was 12S3P it had some balls to it.

2 Likes

Interesting

2 Likes

Yeah, and if memory serves, this was after Lunasi put the same drives through the ringer in CO.

I believe the torque will be ridiculous with my 90Kv, but I do it for science :smiley:
Anyhow, I will be able to go to work with it, Prague is the capital city of cobblestones and pebble stones… guess it will improve the comfort ride but giving up on the range/torque compared to my 110’s.

I am actually looking for carrying the 110’s in the backpack in the event of long ass ride, mixed with bad terrain and heavenly tarmac. This is the beauty of DD, no other component to carry in the bag to enjoy both situation.

3 Likes

@kook
What would you give to go back in time and do the right thing and buy the @torqueboards Drives?
I’m kicking myself for the assumption that buying these was a good idea and a money saver.
I’m even now still going back and forth with Kenna. What a fuckin carry on!
It’s been months, fail city.
All in, I got about 4 hours of ride time on these unfinished and unproven test drives.
The “@kenna/eLofty shuffle” is about as accurate a description of the experience as it gets.
Sorry @torqueboards, I should have backed the team that gave a shit and designed a good product.
When I have the money, I’m getting me a set.
Live and learn…always the hard way!

4 Likes

The drives themselves look good, bearings fit, nuts fit, have not wheels yet to try out if the adapter fits but I assume that until I find out otherwise. My 4wd build would have been way too expensive with TB DD :wink: My complaint is only with the customer service and the unfulfilled order.

1 Like

My dispute is now in buyers protection. I demanded 135$ refund which is the value of the missing parts in the shop without considering the shipping costs (wanted to be nice). Now they never answered in text but changed the amount to 70$. Never buying anything from them again.

3 Likes

Sorry, man. Except for the few early guys like me, @DAddYE , @mishrasubhransu and @esk8jpn, somehow the product got worse as it progressed. Didn’t see that coming.

6 Likes

I’m still riding mine… and I’m keeping them going somehow… so far I’m into 3 motors, two of which are fucked up, and two axles. eLofty sponsored me one motor, I paid shipping, and I paid $25 for the extra axle. if you count all the shipping, the extra bearings to fix the fucked up ones, the bearing puller, the time… the aggravation, YES 100% if I knew then what I know now, I’d 100% go with @torqueboards direct drives, I’m about into the eLofty drives the same amount as TB DD drives, and I’m stuck with these drives of lesser (perceived) quality. When they run… I love them… when they fuck up… I kick myself.

I was almost going to pull the trigger on the group buy for another set of drives, when i heard another manufacturer was making the drives and i saw pictures of the new axles and drives… but then the price went up on the 58Kv drives, and I finally sussed out they were obtaining the 58Kv drives from the same manufacturer as my drives I opted out politely.

This sux I feel your pain @Diggler and @visnu777

4 Likes

I need to pop over to the torqueboard direct drive thread and see what issues they have going on!

I’m going for a full refund via Paypal.
I have chatted to someone from this forum in the DM’s about the truth of my whole experience, because I didn’t want to be a dick and expose Kenna here for how my correspondence with her has gone, I did not post anything publicly. It didn’t feel right.
I figured I would focus on the positives and give everyone involved the chance to do the right thing regarding finding a fair solution to resolve this problem.
Reluctantly I’m sharing two screen shots of the last thing she offered me, this is what has made me decide to bail on these drives and Kenna as a supplier altogether.
When my axle bent after 2 hrs, I was genuinely under the impression that my input to her was going to help her make a better product. I sent so many pics and video’s explaining in detail the how’s and why’s it happened and how and why improvements should be made.
I felt that we as D.I.Y. builders and they as suppliers were in some unofficial symbiotic relationship…mutually helping each other create pioneering products.
I must have been off my face…what was I thinking?
Pretty soon, and for various reasons I realised that this was not the case.
This for them is about selling products, no more no less. Every solution offered was really a suggestion to buy more of their stuff.
I was disarmed by the whole “Hi Dear” style of Whatsapping, but now that I see through the friendly style of texting, I see these are shrewd and hard business people.
Why does it cost $30 to send two small kegel adapters that failed? How do all of the eBay sellers in China manage to do free postage while Kenna says it’s impossible?
After building the converted 12mm axle trampa wheel project, I got to ride for a couple of hours again until one motor stuttered and then failed, I was done.
I’d had enough, I put my board away and got stoned for weeks!
The whole back and forth, the highs, the lows, the promises, the frustration, the lies, the gamesmanship, the greed, the dissapointment…I just thought “what the fuck am I doing here?” It actually wore me out and I gave up on the whole esk8 thing all together.
I’m in the UK, the weather was turning, it was all just too much aggro for nothing.
It was a random text from Kenna weeks later that made me think “it’s a sign” LOL
I told her the issue about the motor, sent video’s etc. More promises to help and fix the issue and the merry-go-round started to turn again. I sent the video of the motor buzzing and not turning on the 10th Oct, I finally got a price after…you guessed it…much back and forth on Whatsapp yesterday…the 6th of Nov.
That’s nearly one whole month. ONE WHOLE MONTH?
People, I have been patient, I really have.
The price she gave me for “cost price motor” is $258
Before someone tells me it’s probably a mistake, I already agree with you.
But conversing in simple English does not explain how she can misunderstand what I actually need, which is one motor sold at a reduced price as they are never going to send one for free are they?
She’s offering 2 motors at regular price minus the trucks. “Dollar, dollar bill y’all”
I responded immediately, and radio silence ever since.
She’s had a day and a half to read my text and respond, the lack of blue ticks shows she hasn’t even read it.
In all of this I have never been rude, condescending or aggressive in my text correspondence.
My text history going back to June shows this, I’ve re-read my posts to her to see if it was my manner that caused such a difficult experience, It wasn’t.
“Winter is coming” here in the UK so now I’m in no rush to get this mess with Kenna fixed.
I simply want to resolve this once and for all and I don’t mind how long it takes, it’s now a matter of principle.
For the record, I feel like such a douche for writing this, it’s not my style but I feel genuinely wronged here.
I never got a replacement axle as she refused to see that an un heat-treated one was weak.
The 72kv axle is heat treated, the 58kv one is not. They are not interchangeable though.
Different design.
I didn’t want the same axle without any changes as I knew what would happen to it.
Staying positive, I built the 12mm axle Trampa project to prove a point and was happy I did so.
I got to meet you lot here and learned some useful shit in the process.
I still wanted the kegel adapters but refused to pay $30 for them to be shipped, so never got those either. When the motor failed you can see why the mere thought of trying to negotiate with Kenna was beyond what I was prepared to undertake, my giving up and getting stoned was real, I know some of you relate. (maybe it’s just me though)
So now what?
I’ve started a dispute on Paypal for the “items being not as described”.
It’s the only option that is close to my situation. Most of the options refer to the buyer not receiving the goods, I did receive the goods but for the money I paid and the service I’ve experienced, I feel I have no option but to push for a full refund and use the money to purchase something else. Why would I engage in any more transactions with this company, knowing what I already know? Never mind some of your stories that I have read here that only confirm my already negative experience.
Do I really want a replacement motor with a totally different design (screw on can like @kook received), for it to cause almost guaranteed problems like @kook is having?
The very thought of paying some crazy price for an owed replacement that takes up to 6 weeks to arrive in the hope that it’ll finally work like a ready for market product should, is ridiculous.
The fact that they are changing the design without warning or informing as and when they see fit is also totally unprofessional.
When a product goes through design upgrades you usually know what you are getting because the version is normally stated in the description. This goes for software and hardware products, it’s an industry standard. Even the debacle that is enertions Raptor states version 2.1 etc…
With Elofty it’s like a “lucky dip” for hundreds of dollars at a time.
You simply don’t know what you’re getting.
Even the version I received looked nothing like the one I actually purchased.
I ordered non double kingpins with the front hanger that had the curved design.
I got double kingpins with evolve hanger copies.
Sorry for the negative post for all here that are genuinely happy with these drives, if my intentions were bad, I would have posted this type of post months ago.
It is what it is and for the sake of fairness, transparency and the possibility that my sharing could save a fellow skate dude from re-living my experience, I’m posting it, albeit reluctantly.
Get the @torqueboards drives if you are thinking about getting the elofty ones.
What you will save in money, you will pay in hassle, ten fold.
I know I wish I had, I intend to rectify this mistake I made however.

Bummer Kenna, just Bummer.

Any suggestions?
Am I over reacting?

10 Likes

I took a shot on these drives. Hoping all is good with the new ones in that group buy. I went for the 72KV with those 105MM wheels. I only went with the wheels because they’re apparently anodized black now which seemed neat.

I’ll be re-building my short board (The Taytor). 10S3P, dual focbox, BKB Tayto. I’ll switch them to another deck if they hold up.

3 Likes