eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

That should be onewow, i guess?
…aaand that’s complete bullshit.
Onewow should be the oem of elofty-style drives.

3 Likes

How are you going to hold onto the kahua hanger while you machine it out?

What machines are you planning on working with?

1 Like

I’ve got a lathe and vertical end mill. Any adjustments to the axle bore would be done in the lathe. I’ve got 4 and 3 jaw chucks for that.
Most of the machining will be done on the mill. I’ve got soft jaws and clamp brackets to hold it in whichever position.

4 Likes

wow this is a super interesting project, excited to see how it goes.

Make sure you document the process because I love machining especially when it involves a skateboard!

4 Likes

Just order my second DD kit this time from eovan some model as bound but a bit cheaper $315 free shipping.

3 Likes

I am selling brand new wheels I designed for OG elofty drives. Take a look if you are interested.

5 Likes

Progress.

10 Likes

What kind of baseplates are you going to use?

You should throw it on a deck and push it around to see how wacky it looks!

1 Like

nut

Keep in contact please… I’d love to see how this works out

2 Likes

It’s a Kahua hanger obviously heavily modified :joy:. Gonna use some caliber base plates, might go with something fancier if I can find something cheap/used. I’m not sure I’d wanna push without the motors on lol.

2 Likes

Yeah I was just wondering if you were going to use the kahua baseplate or a cast/precision caliber one.

Adjustable BN ones would be sweet is what I was thinking.

1 Like

I was thinking BN adjustable as well. Don’t have the coin for those at the moment unless I find some used.

1 Like

The original hanger locates the shaft with two pins. Tomorrow I’m either gonna duplicate that method or go with set screws. Leaning towards set screws since it would be a little easier. I don’t want to put another set of holes in the shaft and trying to line up to the original holes, I’d have to be on my A game lol.

2 Likes

Is this a single axle or two seperate ones? If the latter ur prob gunn die.

Edit: seems like one

1 Like

It’s one, the original elofty axel.

1 Like

Next step, swap motors over

5 Likes

super interested… Hmmm this gives me an idea…

next time I have axles built I’m gunna unfuck the terrible eLofty axle design and have a few made…

seems like the kahua trucks with the remove-able axles would make this super simple to garage DIY

let us know how it goes… I may follow in your footsteps…

as an aside… nevermind… I’m going to science this…

3 Likes

I went with the Kahua for that exact reason, the elofty 12mm axel went right in once I made the Kahua 12mm all the way thru. The Kahua has an odd ass shape, so it took a bit of work to cut the OD square so I’d have a reference point for the remaining machining. It’s not perfect but it should work.

1 Like

On a side note, I showed my machinist when he came by work today. He’s like I could have made that for you on the CNC :man_facepalming:t2: . He offered to model it in solidworks if I make a drawing.

5 Likes

hmmmmmmmmmm that’s pretty fuckin’ cool…

It’d be awesome to have a few that you could just press in an axle, secure it, and just drive away…

1 Like