eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Looks like a small spacer under the pivot cut would solve that issue?

1 Like

Could work maybe, but the whole angle is not right i think.

1 Like

I’m pretty stoked mine fits perfectly

1 Like

Oh no, not this chinese inconsistency again.

And ofcourse that nasty k00k is lucky…fak.

1 Like

I have the V2 and did run my evolve 97 and clearance is not great. I now run my 150mm airless on that board full-time now. I have my 97 on my other boards. I have silicone covers on my motors now. Another thing to consider is you pay GST on aliexpress, when I bought from bound they didn’t charge me GST.

(also @PickSix24)

I was experiencing the same spacing issue with my eLofty motors. I solved this by building an aluminum spacer which seats between the Can and the adapter. In this way I was able to use both bearings and still have a flush mounting of the adapter to the wheel hub. See my post here.

1 Like

Don’t you have some adapter centering issues like this? That ridge on the CAN is for centering and take some load, but you just made the adapter hole verry big?

Good question, discussion on this subtlety was covered at other locations on the linked thread.

The holes in the adapter for the bolts are the exact fit of the threads so the bolts keep the spacer centered. I also used split ring lock washers with the mounting bolts which are the exact diameter of the bolt head recesses in the adapter, so there should be no movement of the adapter compared with the bolts.

I thought about including an additional center seating ring in the spacer, but ultimately decided against it since (in combination with the seating ring from the CAN) there would only be ~1mm of material to support the spacer seating ring, which would likely just lead to a broken part.

Oh okay, I just included it in my 3D printed ring. Its a press fit on the motor can and also the adapter press fits on the spacer :slight_smile: (See posts above)

1 Like

Anyone have a recommendation for a ratchet bit that clears the axle, and allows me to take off and put back on this can nut?

I don’t actually know the size of the nut… So maybe just recommend your preferred set of long ratchet bits? :sweat_smile::joy:

There’s about 40mm of axle to clear before the nut

You need to take of the adapter first, then a normal wrench will fit on the nut :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve removed the screws on the adapter before, and didn’t really know how to take off the adapter… It wouldn’t come off easily and I didn’t want to break anything :joy:

Which drives do you have? If you’ve got mine, do the adapters screw on or something?

I’ve also loctited the adapter screws in, hence my search for a workaround :man_shrugging:t2: (not to mention 3 stock screws on one drive won’t come out at all)

I have the bound motor drives. If you remove the 6 screws the adapter should just come off. But pleas replace those philips screws with hexagons :joy: what kind of loctite did you use? Red, blue?

1 Like

Red

And I would remove them, but even with heat, pressure and the right size screwdriver… No dice. I basically ended up stripping them halfway before I stopped completely :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve got replacements on deck, but granted they stay in I guess they’re fine

Haha yea i think ur screwed then, use blue loctite for parts you wanna remove “often”. No idea how to remove philips screws with red loctite lol, hexagon is already hard to remove.

2 Likes

Faucet wrench is what I use. Cheap as shit and works great.

(Screwdriver through the holes for leverage.)

4 Likes

Hell yeah, thanks Bill

Now to figure out the size of the nut… :thinking:

1 Like

They usually come in a set.

2 Likes

that big assed nut on my elofty’s was 19mm if I recall correctly

and that’s what I call it, forever more, the motor nut shall be known as “the big assed nut”

3 Likes

Need a cheap way to remove the “big ass nut” while not removing the adapter screws?

Buy this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-19-mm-6-Point-Metric-Deep-Socket-H3D6PDP19MM/202913533

3 doll hairs and change for a 6 point 19mm socket, and it’s easier than pie.

(It should be noted though that my drives had the nuts glued in… At least I think it’s glue. Don’t be afraid to give it some oomph)

2 Likes