eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

My take on DKP trucks is below and I use Evolve as an example so if your DKP trucks accept different height bushings in the different positions than Evolve, keep the same shape, compound and duros, just choose the appropriate height bushings for the positions

Evolve DKP setup:

I have worked on several Evolve boards in the past when people have asked us for a nimble yet stable at high speed setup. This is what I found for Evolve “compound” trucks:

For simplicity, I will refer to the bushing positions from roadside to boardside so for the front, F1 is the bushing closest to the road in the front and F4 is the bushing closest to the deck in the front, rear will be the same just designated R1-R4. Also, the position 1-2 are the primary turning pair and position 3-4 are the secondary turning pair.

Front truck

F1: KranK 90a ShortStreetCone (.4" tall)

F2: KranK 90a Barrel (.6" tall)

F3: KranK 93a or 96a ShortStreetBarrel (.4" tall)

F4: KranK 93a or 96a Barrel (.6" tall)

Rear Truck

R1: KranK 93a or 96a ShortStreetCone (.4" tall)

R2: KranK 93a or 96a Barrel (.6" tall)

R3: KranK 93a or 96a ShortStreetBarrel (.4" tall)

R4: KranK 93a or 96a Barrel (.6" tall)

For reference we defaulted to the harder choice of the options above, I weigh just about 200 lbs and this worked well for me as well as my son that weighs 140 lbs. We found the key to settling down the trucks for high speed situations is to keep the pair of bushings closest to the deck (F3-4 and R3-4) stiffer than the bushings closer to the road (F1-2 and R1-2) and the front easier to turn than the rear. The primary pair should initiate the turn, then the secondary pair should come into play when needed or wanted. I hope this is not too confusing as there is a lot going on with these trucks. The way we have it setup currently, you can run full speed all day and still have a lot of turn when needed, so agility and stability.

15 Likes

Would I be able to order this exact setup somehow?
If I ordered on the website, I’d end up with some extra unused ones because everything comes in pairs.

Thanks!

Asked him about this too.
Unfortunately not yet (they are thinking about custom packs)
Group buy with me?

Spares are not a bad idea to have but we can do mixed pairs of the same price point. Be sure the heights match your brand of DKP

1 Like

I have the elofty direct drive.
I don’t have an evolve to compare dkp trucks.
Does anyone know if this bushing setup will work for these DD’s?

Yes they do!

Brad @RipTideSports walked me through it and I made a visual diagram reflecting the bushing setup recommended. The ride is super comfortable, carvy, and stable all at once! (Disregard the gullwing brand dkp in the diagram, I borrowed the image simply for tonal contrast)

Front

Rear

Pivot cups

9 Likes

Hey Brad. so it turns out the bottom of the rear elofty hangar will not fit your short street bushings. It’s an extremely tight fit. The provided cone is the only bushing I got to fit.

Thank you so much!

I just wonder why not replace these cones with ShortStreetBarrels?
(seems though, that they would need be 23mm)

If anyhow possible, i would like to get it stable for speeds 30-40 mph.

2 Likes

Im using the short street barrels on mine. They will not fit in the lowest bushing seat so I have to run the original cone there.

how do they ride?

Couldn’t tell you. Don’t have the board built yet. Waiting for bonus in January.

1 Like

When I had my lofty this was my setup.

2 Likes

up to which speeds was it stable?

I was bringing it up close to 30 but I would recommend staying around 20-25

1 Like

I have your front setup for the rear on mine.

I have 90’s on the front and 90-93 in both spots in the rear. I weight about 120lbs. I figure it should be fine for my weight. Any higher of a duro and I feel like I wont be able to turn. I just hope running such high duro’s doesn’t kill my turning too much. This is why I’m interested in the RKP hangar for these.

Let me ask if he can sell the hanger only. My bet is it’s gona be different to persuade him. But he is giving a pretty good price of rkp sets shipped to HK. Moq 20 tho. Can probably get them with foamies for max saving.

2 Likes

That’d be dope if he just sold the hangar for the rear. As I can easily use any other hangar up front. You could do a poll to see how many people would be interested in the hangar only like me.

2 Likes

Measure the height of the bushings and post pictures of the bushing seats and I might be able to help

2 Likes

I actually went and bought a pair because they were too good to pass on.

Mine have set screws to prevent the cans from unscrewing but my adapters are different than what esk8supply has. I’ll post some pics in the morning

1 Like

I’m sure @mishrasubhransu is almost finished with his budget DD variant thread.