Electrified Mercedes SL500 mini go kart build thread

Made an acutal topic for this build, was started with this thread: [WTB-US] 63100/8085 or Bigger Motor ~140kV:

I’ll be updating this soon with more build progress

31 Likes

You say conversion, does it mean it has a gas engine right now? or is it a pedal car?

4 Likes

It had a 2.2hp honda engine that was no longer functioning. I’m attaching a motor to the transmission which is 2 speed plus reverse.

10 Likes

Fuck yes dude. Im so pumped for this.

7 Likes

Interesting, I want to see more please

could you post pics when you open and take it apart?

3 Likes

Dude I just got a kid ride on for my niece birthday and wish I had a fast “adult” version for me :joy:

You’re my hero for building one!

3 Likes

Development started by 3D modeling an adapter plate for the motor to the transmission.

Then I made a coupler from the 10mm motor shaft to the transmissions input. This pic is after the test run.

Also a way to connect the throttle cable to a hall sensor.

5 Likes

I then simplified the mounting plate design so it was more rectangular.

Then I sent the designs off to @Savage1 who did an awesome job of making them out of aluminum.

9 Likes

Here is its current state:

Motor mounted

Skid plate under battery made of a old 3D printer Y axis plate

The to do list is still pretty big:

• Finish printing battery/esc box
  • Wire up the battery indicator
  • Wire up the key
  • Fix clutch cable
  • Loctite stuff
  • Mount throttle sensor
  • Assemble/tweak various other little things
14 Likes

How does that (comparatively small) motor measure up to the stock gas engine in power output?

4 Likes

Dude, this is cool! What Are you planning on doing after high school? I see a bright future ahead!

4 Likes

So the stock motor was 2.2hp (1.6kw) according to its specs, and this motor is is rated for 12S 100A, so ~5.8hp (4.3kw at nominal charge, full charge should be higher).

The thing is, the electric motor has a top speed 60% faster than the gas engine!

I took it out for a half-assembled test ride last week and at 100A it has too much torque :rofl: Only one of the wheels is connected to the transmission so it does a pretty hard one wheel peel. I knocked it down to 60A which still is very strong but isn’t scary acceleration like 100A.

3 Likes

I’m searching for colleges now, I plan to study electronics engineering. Before I was tied between nuclear and electronics, but this hobby made it clear. :smiley:

3 Likes

For what it’s worth there are quite a lot of full or almost full college courses for elec available free online, it’s quite easy to either try out the content to make a decision or just do a lot of it yourself. I was intermittently sick for most of the time I was in college so I ended up covering a shit load of the material on my own time and for the right type of person it’s very useful. I prefer being in a group and there’s a real benefit to group work and stuff, but just in case folks aren’t sure about committing the time or money to elec eng

4 Likes

Wait so you’re telling me this isnt a live axle connected to both wheels? You should fix that. As a former Metroboard owner, I can tell you that one-wheel-drive is not the way to go :sweat_smile:

What’s the top speed?

4 Likes

Yeah the wheel on the left in that pic has bearings in the hub. Only the right wheel with the brakes is live. Probably cuz no diff.

Not sure yet :rofl:

2 Likes

5 hours into the battery box print and the part cooling fan stopped working :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Would it even need a diff on an axle that narrow? That axle is not much wider than Etoxx’s psychoframe axle :joy:

All I’m saying is that if you are putting too much power through that one wheel, two wheels seems like the obvious solution haha.

5 Likes

+1 for mini SL drifts

This project is awesome man

3 Likes

This is so bad ass you are very talented my friend can’t wait to see videos with a happy kid behind the wheel
And also a A+ from your professor :call_me_hand:

6 Likes