@egtscs' shit show of a shop

Yeah, both options sucked.
I tried some random fuckery to try and make stuff work but it ended up stressing the wires to leave me with this:

I ended up trying out @SBS 's 3DP Puck receiver enclosure on thingiverse:

Unfortunately it just so happens to be made for a puck receiver not a VX4, back to the drawing board.

I used his version of the box as inspiration and made it in the dimensions I needed for the VX4 receiver. As well as making it a bit thicker and adding the screw holes in the base (yes I can tell the screws don’t actually have enough room for any kind of head, I need to fix that)

Installed with a bit of Butyl tape around the lid and silicone sealant around the other problem areas.
So far so good.

3 Likes

One of my foot pads started peeling up a while back and I decided today was a good rainy day to take care of that.

All that plant matter was caught between the adhesive on the shock pads and the deck itself, a bit of cleaning was in order so I used a brush, shop vac, rags, and isopropyl alcohol to clean the deck. Reapplied grip

Unfortunately these shock pads are just barely bigger than 1/2 sheet of viscous grip so you can use a full sheet for either foot pad or use half a sheet on each and leave a tiny bit of space left over. I went with the latter.
Threw the bindings on and we’re ready to ride!

Yesterday was another one of pnwesk8’s build days and I was able to use their sanding disk to grind some axle spacers to length

They came out much better than last time fortunately.

That’s all for now folks.

2 Likes

Aww shit,
I think that 12s4p Panasonic battery from my eovan finally died today, it’s made it 2000+miles for what it’s worth but today the range from full charge was about 3-5 miles, I can’t confirm yet that it’s dead and haven’t had time for diagnosis yet but last I rode it I was getting closer to 12-15 miles out of it, which isn’t great but certainly still works.

On the upside this means I can finally start doing some upgrades I’ve had planned for a while.

Any diagnostic I can do on the battery before confirming it as dead? Or should I (clearly not a battery builder) just leave the battery alone and consider it dead?

1 Like

I guess I’d pull the insulation and see if there’s any obvious failure points…

RIP :raised_hands: going to replace the battery and reuse the deck you think? or go a diff direction?

2 Likes

I’m thinking a hummie deck is on the horizon.

1 Like

Holy fuckin shit I haven’t been this excited about putting something on my board in a very long time. My experience with metr products has always been utterly top notch and my expectations were incredibly high, still I was blown away.

:sunglasses:

Setting this up was an absolute joy, it’s always great when, during a setup process like this, any question you could possibly have has already been answered at length with pictures and everything.

Mini update on the eovan:

Hummie deck showed up, enclosure from @eBoosted should be done early next week, battery is ordered but can’t really be started until the enclosure arrives.
I’m still thinking about whether or not to do inserts myself, I’ve never done any and I’d hate to fuck up this beautiful deck.

3 Likes

let’s tackle inserts together at next build day :sweat_smile:

having the same dilemma for my omakase…

WE CAN DO ITTT

1 Like

Got some RTKP’s with custom gear drive adapters, but didn’t quite fit. Close but not quite.

Unfortunately not that close.

There was a lot of sanding and filing, not very pleasant.

Eventually I got them all the way on there

These trucks are absolutely gorgeous, and I’m really excited to experiment with bushings.
I’m currently running
85a hpf on the front primary kingpin
90a hpf on the rear primary kingpin
93a krank on both supporting kingpins

This is probably gonna feel a bit jank until I can dial it in, I don’t even know where to start with these so I’ll just mess around till I find something that feels good, such is the process with bushings.

Just finished routing wires.

Now I get to wait for a break in the weather…

This is where I’m at with this board

4 Likes

Rtkp profile should be 22x22 right? Was it slightly larger than that, or were the adapters smaller than expected?

3 Likes

I found the tolerances of my hanger to be a little inconsistent. One fit well, and the other one didjt fit at all on my set

3 Likes

One was very very close and only needed a tiny bit of filling on each face, the other side needed a good bit more. I suspect it’s just the tolerances like Evan said.

2 Likes

How does the Hummie deck compare in size to the Eovan?

1 Like

Very very similar, it looks like the drop is slightly deeper on the hummie, and of course the eovan has pronounced foot pads while the hummie deck has a flat edge along the side. But other than those it’s very very close.

2 Likes

can I trouble you for a picture of the Hummie right next to it at the same height, i usually put some wheels or a case of soda under it…

did you like the flares?
i think I prefer flatter concave profiles.

I really need to step on a Hummie some day.

1 Like

Is this what you were looking for?

Well, the eovan has a w concave that I’m not the biggest fan of, the edges are a bit sharper while the center bump is almost non existent, it’s okay for aggressive riding but fatigues my feet pretty quickly. The hummie deck feels like a more subtle radial concave that I’m hoping (along with the less ridged deck) will alleviate some of the foot fatigue on this board.

1 Like

Perfect. And yep. Real estate wise they are very similar.

Do you think you could try to run your trucks dropped through?

1 Like

I’ll certainly try :sweat_smile:
Based on eyeball estimates I should hopefully be able to, I haven’t had the time to mount things and check though.

1 Like

Quick update on running drop through:

Whoever said that must be terrible at eyeballing it, or must’ve only considered wheel bite when eyeballing clearances or something.
Anyways,

There’s not really enough room for activities between the deck and hangar, here are my options

1: SR adjustables, they’re taller than stock savage baseplates, however I’ve just not seen others have very good luck with them and I have a hard time trusting them

2: ignore any of the safety recommendations I’ve been given from Members of this forum including the designer of the deck itself and route out the deck so the savage baseplate sits flush with the deck, this is kinda tempting just for the sleek and clean look but would compromise the safety of a board I’m primarily building for my partner whom I kinda like, so that’s a hard no.

3: as per hummie’s suggestion, route wells into the bottom of the deck to give space for articulation. Possibly reinforce with carbon fiber. This seems like a solid solution but I’m a bit intimidated by the idea of learning to work with CF if reinforcement is needed.

4: as per AC53N’s suggestion, chop the deck and use idea brackets, this would be incredibly cool, allow for some additional adjustability, solve my clearance problems, and maintain everything I really like about the deck. But I’m hesitant for a few reasons. The hummie deck certainly wasn’t designed to be used with brackets like the idea one is, the brackets add cost, and it definitely feels sacrilegious to chop up a deck this gorgeous.

I’m mostly leaning towards option 3. But would love to hear other opinions, as long as they’re not wrong.

3 Likes

I would router out the top and sink the baseplate in. I’d just make sure I added some reinforcement to the fukkered with area. Pretty sure @PedroMcJimenez did this with great success to his TB40 that gets ridden harder and longer than @BillGordon at a swingers party

4 Likes

The Perils of Diy…

Why can’t we ever just take the easy route…