@egtscs' shit show of a shop

The saga continues

Good news; I ended up having enough wire to solder the 2 back together!
Bad news; vesc still can’t detect sensors. I might just clip that side and run entirely sensorless. I’m getting a little tired of fiddling with them

1 Like

Stick your multimeter probes in the back of that jst connector between ground and a sensor wire. Slowly roll the motor and you should see it toggling between zero and four volts. Each of the three should be toggling at a different time. That should figure out which wire is busted.

4 Likes

I also just went through this and I also hated it.

3 Likes

More good news! I’m an idiot!

When I redid it the second time I reversed the order of the pins, which would definitely cause fuckery. Hoping that’s my last issue.

1 Like

And more bad news, fixing that didn’t help.

If your on 6.0fw or greater, its worth checking out shfi. It’s not exactly silent on a 60d+, but it can be buttery smooth.

2 Likes

I’m scared of 6.0 :sweat_smile: I think I’m on 5.2 or 5.3
I will probably end up experimenting with sensorless modes before updating FW but if all else fails I’ll probably try that.

Am I doing something wrong? None of the sensor pins were coming back with any change from resting on the multimeter. It’s currently setup with multimeter negative to sensor ground and multimeter positive to the second hall pin on the sensors.
I have tried this with all 3 hall wires.
Edit: this is a separate motor with known good sensors and good continuity on my crimping job

3 Likes

Yeah it needs to be powered for you to detect any voltage. IIRC there’s ground, sensor 1,2,3, and 5V.
You need to check the voltage between ground and each of the sensor wires while the 5V is powered and the ground is grounded (basically when it’s hooked up and the esc is turned on unless you have a 5V power supply)

3 Likes

Ah fuck I had that thought but just assumed if the motor was spinning that it would generate power. Thank you very much

Your next move should be to change out that shiity eovan ESC lol XD edit( nevermind i see that is done) :stuck_out_tongue: newbee hubs are pretty sick and good value btw

1 Like

Please someone let me know when it’s really safe to go to 6 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually not quite, this is from my mountainboard with a stormcore. My shitty eovan ESC is still in my eovan which is actually currently with @haven (he’s borrowing it till he can get his board back and running)

For fuckin real dude.

Now onto the shop update:
I’m getting real used to saying it; it turns out I’m an idiot.
During my troubleshooting with these sensors I ended up swapping phase wires and vesc sides to attempt to further track down the issue, in doing so I confused myself with which side I had an issue on. I’m pretty sure that all of my recent sensor diagnostic work was done on a fully functioning sensor.
I repinned the other side one more time and la-di-fuckin-da:
received_912707120017826

Jesus fuck I’m way too dumb to be working on these things myself and way too poor to pay somebody else to do it.

6 Likes

has been flawless on both of my 100dx

1 Like

Are these from LaCroix pre builts or did you just buy the SC itself?

1 in a diy and the other that replaced my original 100d in my lonestar

2 Likes

@MichaelWA, @haven and i recently had another mini build day, good times.
Here’s what I got done:

Put some mt60s on the motors I intend to use.
(I’m guessing it makes more sense to put the male side on the motors but I can’t think of any potential issues going either way)

Borrowed @haven’s Dremel and got the last stripped screw out of the motor so it’s loose from the mount.

Removed the unnecessary 10awg phase wires and had the opportunity to use my fancy new solder sucker (how the fuck did I go this long without one?) I’m planning to replace those with 12awg terminated with the female mt60

Now here’s the part where I ask for advice:

1. Any suggestions to better insulate/protect the flipshit? I have mg chemicals 419D on hand but I’m honestly not even sure if that’s the proper use case.

It’s hard to see but it doesn’t look like these pulleys even use set screws, or if they do it seems there’s some kind of resin on top of the screw head. What would be the best way to get that taken off? Drill press and caution not to drill into the shaft?

1. Any creative ideas as to mounting the flipshit? My current inspiration is mistfall built by @BenjaminF however my battery case is mounted with the hinge on the side of the deck so I’ll have to figure that out.
1 Like

Let’s talk about that Eovan

Summary

Its a GTS Carbon Super that I received in April of 2022. It was my first (real) esk8 and put me on a path to meet some real awesome people.
Since then I’ve put just over 1800 miles on it and it’s been surprisingly reliable aside from the remote… Their $100 takes a month to get to you, fragile piece of shit remote has always been a thorn in my side. Recently my partner dropped the remote from about 3 feet off the ground and it began disconnecting every 10sec-5min.

Fuck all that noise, lets put a DV4S in it

I wanted to reuse the original heatsink since it’s made to fit already and saves me a bit of money. Getting the eovan “VESC” out was a bit of a pain as expected and took a bit of angle grinding, a Dremel, palm sander, hand file, and so many Dremel sandpaper drums but I got it to a point I’m pretty happy with.

Mounting the receiver:
I ended up reusing the receiver “enclosure” thingy from the eovan but instead of potting the whole receiver in there like it was from factory I put a little bit of neoprene padding on top of the baseplate and sandwiched the receiver between the neoprene and rubber (also I needed to add washers on top because the built in washers were laid into the rubber and broke off real quick)

There was some crimping and soldering so I could adapt from these fuckers:

To these fuckers:

It took some playing around with axle spacers to get stuff properly mounted but I’m really happy with the fitment against the motor mount

The wiring, is gonna be a tad bit weird.
I had to figure out a way to connect to the positive of my battery for the VX4 as well as to extend the battery connector so I think I’m just going to make an XT60 extension with 2 12ga wires and a 26ga wire coming from the positive to the usplit that I’m using for my receiver, this board is basically going to have a wiring harness lmao.

Now I’m just waiting for XT60s and a shorter power button which are both in the mail
Once I have all of the parts the only things left to do are:

Finish making that wiring harness
Use thermal adhesive to mount the VESC
Regrip the deck
Mount the power switch
Run detection and configure the switch properly
Go zoom.

4 Likes

taking the “pre” out of prebuilt! love to see it

1 Like

I got the wiring harness setup and for those of you like me who are visual learners and can’t picture a description like this unless you already have an idea in your head

This is what I was talking about

I got the longer power button mounted as a stand in for the shorter button, I’m not very happy with how that came out.

I’m confident it’ll hold just fine but it’s ugly… Really ugly.

I’m feeling this hard right now :sweat_smile:

3 Likes