Economical 8" Tyres Discussion

Yeah, that’s the outside of the hub. Hub measurements are from the outside of the barrel where the tire sits, ie the inner diameter of the tire.

3 Likes

Yep I hear you but that would be one hell of a lip. My 8" tires have about a 100mm hub opening. The fivestar hubs outer lip diameter is only 110mm. They might work still. To clarify, I’m not wanting to use that hub, just the tires and tubes.

I see the tire rating you’re referring to now. I agree they most likely should fit now.

1 Like

Ah, makes sense. The Fivestar is definitely a special flower since it was developed to fit both 8" and 9" wheels. I think my assertion above stands here

MBS lists their 9" as a 2.5-4, so I’d be surprised if another 2.50-4 didn’t fit. 100mm tires = 4" hub, lip doesn’t really matter since these are split wheels, so you don’t have to get the tire over them or anything.

Next year I’ll build a mtb and put all these combos to the test.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find some cheap MBS 9" clones, but all I’ve found so far are these m/c tires that would be sick on a street build.

2 Likes

I must be dense or something, where does that link give you an OD of the tire?

You have to do a little math to find the outer diameter from this tire size format.

TLDR: 2.5 + 2.5 (sidewalls) + 4 (hub) = 9" tall.
2.8" wide.

13 Likes

You get a bookmark my friend. I sincerely thank you for sharing that.

2 Likes

So this supplier theoretically has 11" tires that fit 4" hubs based on this? Second option, they would just be super wide

2 Likes

Yeah, I think putting a 4.1" wide tire on something like a Fivestar is asking for trouble, but I’d love to see it. The 10" tall 3.00-4 might be more interesting though.

Some intriguing mythical sizes… 3.00/3.50-4, 3.50-4, 3.50/4.00-4…

1 Like

I probably should have gone with a more realistic example but it gets the wheels turning :smirk:

2 Likes

Is that you, dad?

2 Likes

Some more 4" hub wheels…
An 11x4 agg tire…

and a knobby as fuck 10x3 tire…
https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/300-4-10x3-knobby-tire-tube-combo.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAt_PuBRDcARIsAMNlBdp7Eupdh-6DzKKvQVfR8rqmO-AgDQaxIjmWCrxl_eFXY2mMYSqdUwQaAuTGEALw_wcB

1 Like

This finally made the nomenclature make sense, my reference so far was using the tire that had a measuring tape in the pictures showing the dimensions

So for most rims the rim diameter should be 4" and the width 2"? maybe we can get away with a bit wider, keeping in mind the clearance for mounts and belts

Maybe this would fit, but the nomenclature is a bit different, would be a 9.5" tire?

Or these with some modified wider hubs

1 Like

These look beautiful. I am tempted to order them too.

I think it would be so awesome if someone could put pics of all the tires and scale them by size and assign them a number and provide links for each number.

One more.

3 Likes

I think it would be a great addition to @ducktaperules pneumatic wheel thread. I am ordering a set on black Friday and will report back asap.

I’ve noticed the 10" start to get pretty wide but manageable. I almost want to order one of the 11" for comedic purposes.

4 Likes

Is there a good 8" AT version of the “cheap ass aliexpress 6x2” with the hubs included? Most of the discussion on this thread was mainly about the actual tire and if they’d fit standard 4" hubs.

I’m planning to use these on MBS matrix pro 2 truck on the front. And a 3sk8 hub motor at the back. Since I’m not going to be mounting any pulleys, the hub can be any random hub that comes with the tire. I’m trying to save a bit compared to “legit” trampa, MBS, etc wheels

The ones on aliexpress that I’ve found, I’m not sure of the hub is too thick in the center and I’d run out of axle length. Or any with 12mm bearings.

Some that I’ve found:
$18 per wheel/hub/tube combo: here

$22 per wheel/hub/tube combo: here

$32 per combo: here

Thanks!

2 Likes

Just check and make sure the hub works with 12mm axles or takes a bearing that does.

2 Likes

FWIW I picked up the Kenda 909s pretty cheap here:
https://www.partsforscooters.com/154-91_Kenda-Brand-200x50-Tire

USD$50, 4 @ $40 + $10 shipping.

I haven’t tried a ton of tires. but commuting 30 miles a day on these they’ve been very nice.

2 Likes

The first link could work but it’s 40mm width only compared to standard of 50mm and doesn’t look reliable to me. The hub of the second and third link is 100% too wide (bearing to bearing distance) for Matrix II trucks, only possible with standard spring trucks and shorter axle spacer.

Why not buying MBS Rockstar II hubs and order cheap tubes and tires from china? IMO the better solution.

2 Likes

yeah you’re right. The plastic ones from MBS don’t even cost that much. I’m just stupid XD

2 Likes