Dye-hard guide on wheels (How to dye wheels)

I miss the old UK :sleepy:

2 Likes

I used this stuff:

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/aw/d/B072JV3LST?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I’m happy with the results, and not sure if the blotchy inconsistencies are related to the dye or that I did not clean the hubs good enough in prep.

8 Likes

@hummieee :sunglasses:

18 Likes

Bro, is it just me who have seen weird things going on with dyed wheels?
Sorry for chiming in this way, but I have seen them wheels in really bad conditions after a few rides, and my small brain blames it on the dye :joy: :joy:
Looks good btw, good job and a nice color though :hugs:

2 Likes

RIT synthetic dye worked amazing on cloud wheels. Just mix half a bottle(4oz) into a gallon of water and boil very lightly for around 40 minutes to get the color you like. Do not bring to heavy full boil, just get a little bubble and then back off the heat.

(tropical teal, super pink, daffodil yellow, tangerine)

6 Likes

This is on transparent clouds?

3 Likes

A little blotchy as well for me, but not too bad.

About 12mins just below boiling with vinegar for the dark one. This was my first test and too long/dark.

Next try, 8mins @ 120C water temp with acetone on the 4 lighter ones.

2 Likes

Did you double the amount of dye requested? And did you use any soap with it?

2 Likes

No soap. I used about 3oz of this. Would soap have helped?

1 Like

Yeah, the back of that bottle calls for it iirc

3 Likes

Ah, I assumed that was more of a recommendation for fabric. I didn’t find this thread till now. I found some online that used acetone, so I gave it a try.

3 Likes

Depending on your batch of MBS fivestars (not confirmed with other hubs or if this is an isolated case ) it might be possible that they will not accept your dye properly.

MBS has changed its formula in the past year or so (no specific time mentioned)

I have a set of fivestars that i have bought in February 2020 which so far are not accepting dye the way they should.

Could this be a user error? Maybe. I’ve sent the hubs to someone that knows how to dye, i also believe this thread is no stranger to him. So im not leaning towards it being a user error.

4 Likes

You might have to get synthetic it has that extra juice unless you’re already using it
I have another secret but it’s not recommended for wheels more motocross plastic parts
@cfelzien what did you use for teds five stars
@TheRef :arrow_up:

1 Like

Have to ask him. I didn’t do it. I know they sat in the cooker for 18 hours.

1 Like

I am guessing not but is there a way to dye the synthetic rubber that the ONSRA wheels are made of?

They’re black, how would you dye black a different color lol

1 Like

amazing question.

If a lighter color was released maybe but I am sure it would not be very good of a color shift.

1 Like

Trying to get black. I’ll try again tonight and two cycles in the washing machine didn’t do it. Likely needs more heat n time.

4 Likes

This is with your grey centrax? Also which dye did you use? The Rit dye synthetic black?

2 Likes

And used the powder as well.

1 Like