Dye-hard guide on wheels (How to dye wheels)

Wow, thats a pretty big chunk. What happened?

1 Like

LoL.z you just derailed your own thread without a serious tag.

Good luck :shamrock:, you’ve got some big cajones

…you have no idea the carnage that can happen around these parts…

4 Likes

Excellent tutorial @Anubis I was planning on making one but this is far better than what I would have made!
I have actually dyed @MBS fivestar hubs with pretty much the same steps as above but without the vinegar.
I dyed them for 3h at boiling temperature on gas stove under full supervision

Lol
I boiled for so long because the hubs take AGES to absorb… and not, may I say, very well.
Also the hubs were completely degreased and clean before hand, so was the pot.
Here are the results

=

The one on the right I scratched with 400 grit before to see the difference… as you can see it’s worse and it’s hardly a royal purple… More like a washed out indigo colour.

Then attempt No. 2 (the other half of each hub) was like a double fail… I used the same method as before but with this colour

And 2h later the hub hadn’t dyed AT ALL.
So I had some midnight blue and added that into the mix a 3h later I got this…

It’s a nice colour but definitely not midnight blue, more like a light navy blue
I’ll let you be the judge. The next colour I want to try is yellow but I don’t have any hubs left to try it on… @MBS? :joy:

NOTE
The hubs don’t seem to deform at all the first test i had the hubs screwed together the second time i had each half loose, the result is 100% the same.
i also took a stanley and cut a chunk out in an inconspicuous spot, the dies get’s absorbed about 2mm, no more

9 Likes

Beautiful! Thank you for this. Now I know what to expect with black dye. I’m going to be like a witch standing over a bubbling black cauldron for hours.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if you put two bottles of the same colour if it will turn out nicer as i don’t just have free monies to spend on dye and hubs, but i’m guessing 1 bottle of black will be very dark grey. 2 might just make them 100% black

most welcome man

witch voice
hihhihihih HAHAHAHAHAHAA

1 Like

Needed a way to differentiate yellow and orange.

The hubs took color faster than the shock blocks surprisingly.

15 minutes later and the blocks are looking good.

Watch out for hot splashes

Success! :black_heart:

19 Likes

Gotta wonder if these wheels would have chunked like that if the hadn’t been dyed. I really can’t see how or why it should matter, but its still curious :thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

I dyed mine the same as his, and for longer I think. I left mine in for 24 hours, occasionally heating it up

We’ll see if anything bad happens or not

9 Likes

That’s such a nice board

4 Likes

If they were cloud wheels that would most definitely have been the reason… Cause ain’t nothing wrong ever with clouds…

1 Like

I went for a short ride to get food yesterday on the caguamas. I previously had Abec 97mm Reflys on it and the caguamas feel surprisingly better. Going over blind man bumps dont feel as hard. 77A caguamas are really nice for its size. Just not a fan of the cyan color that eventually turns into a matcha green, so dyeing it black was the next thing

2 Likes

Blue Caguamas are freaking magical.

3 Likes

Anyone dye pnummie tyres before?

1 Like

Finally Dyed my Boa’s black, Came out Great, dident need to use more than 1/4 Graphite - added some black normal as well.

Let them dye for some hours, double love.

now the wheels are much softer as well :slight_smile: but still with rebound - They say 83A rides like 78A, now it feels like 78-77A. wonder how it will ride . Hatchlings if anyones wondering the 90mm

• downside i might have expanded one of the cores (took some work shirnk it again)

No pictures? :frowning:

1 Like

When i do the other ones… I kinda scratched the hell out of the first wheels (when i did them the second time) :smiley:

They do however have… I’m going to call it very light glitter within them

I guess dis where it should go :penguin::eyes:

9 Likes

I am about to do this right now. fingers crossed.

3 Likes

@Venom121212, how long did it take to dye the wheels. It’s been in there for an hour but still no cigar.