Duck Battery Systems - 12S4P FlexPCB Build Guide

Just want to reiterate my appreciation for a well thought out DIY battery build kit. Would definitely order this system again.

9 Likes

Nice Hummie board. Love the Hummie boards.
I’m looking forward to getting my Pcb kit from @DerelictRobot for a future battery build.

1 Like

Thanks. I ended up routing about a 1/4 inch off each side of the Hummie cutout to make room for the battery. It’s probably doable without routing, but I like to add foam vibration dampening around the battery. Also the Hummie board is so robust the little bit of extra routing doesn’t compromise the strength at all.

2 Likes

Glad to hear the kit worked out well for you! Battery building is one of those hurdles that I feel like keeps too many folks from jumping into the deep end of DIY, so happy to see so many batteries coming to life from these. Cheers!

2 Likes

I’m getting a special bms wires made that are 850mm vs 420mm

Should I have 13 wire jst to jst made for you?

1 Like

Silicone right? Will they have the adhesive at the pin connection like DALY does?

1 Like

I’ve got quotes in from my own cable suppliers but would be curious what you’re getting quoted. PM me on Telegram?

1 Like

I used the two balance wire groups you sent me with the two daily BMS. Just soldered they wires so it went female jst to female jst. Worked great…except I now need another female jst, hahah!

3 Likes

Ypu know you can buy jst. Crimpers

2 Likes

Opportunity to add 1A fuses on the pcb for each balance lead port or is that a core tenent of diy?

Shoot me down

2 Likes

Having a hard time avoiding that one for much longer…

1 Like

On the balance lead port you say? That’s a pretty fine suggestion!

The next rev design I have lined up incorporates a socketed/replaceable 5-15amp inline fuse on the charge input (separate terminal for it, calm down @b264 I can hear you already). Just trying to work out the space/layout on it.

I’ll look into some PTCs for a fuse on balance ports though- great idea.

5 Likes

Obviously a fuse for each parallel for safety closest to the pack so all the vulnerable wiring and any trace is behind the fuse…but of course you know this

Chose a large package size that lummoxes like myself can replace should needs be.

Maybe even consider axial for eaaase of replace. This one is good and ready for your HV version that we obviously don’t know about yet.

https://ie.farnell.com/littelfuse/0251001-nrt1l/fuse-axial-1a-very-fast-acting/dp/2723063?CMP=i-ddd7-00001003

1 Like

Ps. Please have those cooler kids over at DRI design a HV A/S

1 Like

24s max. Yes

I’m pretty sure everyone will start copying Trampa’s hibernate feature and MOSFET based antisparks will fade into the sewage drain of history xD

Hibernate + push-to-start + optional loopkey for emergency circuitbreak = :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

‘While you’re here’

What do you think of a simple AS150 loop key with no A/S, am I walking into a problem with an ESC sans A/S running 18s7p of 30Q? The @shaman serious FOCer

Maybe this requires designer input, out of my depth in these matters.

I know I know! But it was already printed a long time ago

Cheers

4 Likes

Why would you want a loopkey without spark suppression?
In your picture is an AS150, the male portion comes in standard (like yours) and spark suppressing (resistor at the tip).

5 Likes

@magharees I do have an AS designed out (not HV in current form but can scale), but I actually 100% agree with @tipsy here- hibernate with a physical circuitbreaker (AS key) is actually a far superior solution in regards to safety/reliability IMO. It’s a really smart/simple implementation that Vedder pulled off with the last rev VESC6.

4 Likes

Thanks gents, yup that picture is actually Deckoz’s. I pulled the step file before it disappeared in the rage-quit

And yep mine has the resistor so so guess i’m good to go for rudimentary spark supression

:sunglasses:

1 Like