Down bad AF 4 reviews of big daddy Hoyt 5" hubs/tires & testing of 5" tires on other hubs

Hoyt is set with the 5 and 7" tires for the time being. Metro will reintroduce the 6" (153mm) tires later this year.

6 Likes

Not gonna lie, now that 5” tires exist I can’t really imagine why anybody would want 6”.

5” or 8” is pretty damn ideal. If you want pneummies & have good roads, 5”. If you want pneummies & have shit roads, 8”.

3 Likes

@marketthrowaway
The old 6" Metro has a really nice flat profile when stretched. It raced better than any pnumatic currently available. Hoyt will have a complete line up when the 6" hits.

6 Likes

I was gonna order some 5" tubes and tires, but if you are bringing some to Esk8con, I can just get them then, correct?

1 Like

We’re gonna be pretty tight with over a dozen boards stuffed into the Hoytmobile. We can bring some goods with us but we’ll need a heads up.

3 Likes

Will the metro 153mm tires work with Hoyt rims?

I thought metro used the trampa/evolve rim size, and wouldn’t be compatible with Hoyt wheels.

They will not.

I’m gonna make some CAD for 5" rims that’ll plug into 3DS kegel. Can anybody hook me up with the dimensions and tolerances for the kegel interface?

1 Like

Can you make it for any Kegel please, not just 3ds? I’d pay for that.

If I can get the dimensions, I’ll be happy to design whatever.

1 Like

Making room for the valve stem is going to take a little head scratching. I know it can be done though. 3DS did it already.

6 Likes

Have you looked at InfinityHubs by @surfnacho for inspiration? He’s done great work letting people put evolve pneumatics onto Kegel drives

1 Like

I haven’t yet. I’ll check his stuff out. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Getting close enough to print some test pieces. Now I need to order a tube and tire for some fit checks.

5 Likes

If I may, stretched [wider] tires are usually a good idea, at least a spacer option would help that.

And you should make your own thread about this, while yes it’s related to the 5" tires you’ve got your own thing going here.

There isn’t much sidewall to begin with, I’m not sure stretching will be very beneficial.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Got a tube and tire on the way from Hoyt. Will keep y’all posted

5 Likes

if it doesn’t require special length spacer, and the core is slightly offset to one side, then it be good

1 Like

I can move the core in or out and change the spacing easily too. Biggest constraint is going to be clearing the valve stem.

3 Likes