Down bad AF 4 reviews of big daddy Hoyt 5" hubs/tires & testing of 5" tires on other hubs

Thanks for the nomination gents.

Whomever does get to review them…I ask that you make the review really exciting. Don’t just slap on a button down shirt and blow smoke for 8 minutes.

Test to failure and capture it on a nice camera.

I promise you’ll get at least 100 views from me and I’ll hit the Like button twice.

9 Likes

won’t that unlike it? you sneaky bastard…

10 Likes

i volunteer to eat shit on the hoyt tires

3 Likes

Tubeless tires/rims!

I’m not too sure about the wider tire trend. I’m far more familiar with two wheeled things, but I assume similar concepts apply and at some point that extra width translates into lethargic steering.

2 Likes

I think what a lot of none racers miss about the Riptide urethane race tires are that they ARE URETHANE. When racing you have a Urethane and a Rubber class because rubber is a different racing feel and usually way faster. Now the Riptide Urethane will hopefully be able to compete with Rubber grip, which means you will effectively be able to race in the urethane division on a wheel with the same grip and speed as rubber

2 Likes

Yeah very interesting prospect. Did you see the slicks that 18sproto has on IG? Those are dope too

Those are XCELL, looking forward to getting a set soon

1 Like

Possibly in completely dry conditions but if there is any moisture at all, urethane will slip. Urethane has terrible and insurmountable wet traction issues. It’s the reason you never see basketball shoes with urethane outsoles. That said, if you WANT to slide, urethane is the better choice.

3 Likes

We considered tubeless but, as I understand it, you need a 1 piece rim which results in the need for machinery to change tires. Our original goal was a proprietary foam core from the folks at AirFōm but the heat buildup in the 5s is so extreme, we melted everything. Even cores with a 150C melt temp were folding in just miles on a cool day. That iron is still in the fire; I think i have the solution just need to find the time and energy to git er dun.

9 Likes

maybe we can get @JaysTCB to throw them on his luge? nah, i dont want that shit on my conscience.

9 Likes

Yep.

I change Onewheel tires fairly often, and while I’ve gotten a good routine settled, it is not at all a quick and easy thing.

Most notably is setting the bead on a tubeless tire requires either lube, higher pressure, or higher speed inflation. Or a mix. And it’s not user friendly for most folks.

5 Likes

If I can design a gear drive adapter, I’d totally throw the 5’s on my Lil wannabe Hoyt board lol

3 Likes

We are working on a Urethane / Rubber alloy.

10 Likes

I would love to say me but it can’t be so I would definitely say @TheBoardGarage would be nice

2 Likes

I’d put my vote in based on logs. Who is out there killing it?

If you’re not able to push the limits, I don’t have much need for the review.

I’m sure there’s some validity to comfort and aesthetic, but not my biggest concern.

Could perhaps send one set to SoCal racers to tear them up/push them to the limits, and another set as a traveling forum pair for those who can give good video and review. Say 10 days or so and you ship them off to the next person, 3 people within a month would be good. Obviously, forum regulars/otherwise known IRL people as to not have to deal with any bullshit. Option for those involved to buy the used set after the fact with maybe a very slight discount, else after three or so people they make their way back to Hoyt.

That aside, I encourage somebody make a poll of some sort, I’m not very good at forum.

I basically nominate MoeStooge team & co (if they want to, that is) for first pick as they can clearly bring the heat, but I also think it would be nice to see thoughts from a few others not in their circle.

1 Like

@MoeStooge for you to see

3 Likes

Foam could be interesting! Amazing how hot these tires get.

About tubeless: though the rims I’m aware of that support tubeless tires are one piece, I don’t think there’s a requirement for them to be designed this way. Tape is a reasonable solution to tiny gaps and I think an interlocking/sleeve design could work for metal hubs. That said, they are harder to work with, and seating them can be annoying. Bikes have been using them a lot more for what feels like a decade now, so there are more tire pumps that advertise the ability to do that. Bike shops tend to use air compressors, so there’s always that option as well. I guess the key thing is to figure out the improvement and compare it to the massive effort and cost involved. It shaves some weight to be sure, and minor puncture handling is nice, but in reality there are areas on these boards that are probably easier to target if weight reduction is a goal.

1 Like

Those tyres are the reason i sold my drivetrain. :smiley:
(and urethane was too uncomfy on rough asphalt, wich there is mostly here where i live)

@JJHoyt knows what he is doing, has solid skaters doing his testing and giving solid feedback. I suspect Hoyt st will be contenders at the hills and short track on their terms very soon. :checkered_flag:

11 Likes