DougM's latest build - Sand Runner

Same man. Can not believe I missed this.

1 Like

I almost missed this. You should use a single hash at the start of the line to say there is a video.

Video!

1 Like

Soft sand is a no go fo a board (too big tires, too much power, too heavyā€¦).

Agree that hard wet sand is very fun to ride but you need tide chart/meteo, ā€¦ other option is dry lake like Ivanpah but itā€™s not really commonā€¦

Btw, where are you located?

Thatā€™s the first time that I will acknowledge that the size of contact patch matters : you need to deflate your tire until itā€™s pressure is lower that ground max resistance (ie when you stand on your board, it doesnā€™t puncture the gound)ā€¦generally around 10/15 psiā€¦thatā€™s mean large diameter (9"minimum) wide tire, without too much sculpture (to avoid shearing).

I missed you other post (thanks for your interest in the flex stuff/feel free if you need info about it) and will follow up there (Iā€™ve also interest in foils)

Even the three weels buggys and/or boards you use with kites are not suitable for dry sand ? (really asking, i have no idea)

yes, there are some very large wheels for buggies that are suitable for soft sandā€¦but itā€™s not really riding, more being pulled by a big kite, strapped into the seatā€¦

There has been few raids across the Sahara with buggies and also in Mongolia (best short grass area outside of a golf).

I dream being able to attend the raceat Ivanpah lakeā€¦

1 Like

It would be cool if you could get moon buggy style wheels, they are a metal mesh so really high surface area but not a lot of material and they are ā€˜translucentā€™

There are a lot of progresses to be made on our wheels, hub and tires, to make it light and strong enough (there are not so much loads on our boards, psecially on balloon tires)ā€¦

Gotcha!! :point_up_2: ā€¦ I cannot believe it !! You are non other than Retro Weld!! :wink: No wonder!

Well, well, wellā€¦ surprise, surprise, surprise. The devil :smiling_imp: is in the details :sunglasses:

images

1 Like

@DougM

:point_up_2:You and I sir, we need to talk :grin::wink::point_down:

2 Likes

wait, is it in inches ? :roll_eyes:

Here is my sand runner

Hellcat wide wheels 8x3" handles sand no problem. I also ended up riding 2 deep on my board for a few miles on sand when my buddies girls onewheel pint died.
5 Likes

That is some hard sand! Where is this taken?

I assume the STEP format defines the units, but for reference the part is 6.5 inches long.

Let me know if you need something else or a different format.

Thatā€™s fort Myers beach, Florida

1 Like

Itā€™s ok i got it sorted, itā€™s just the first time iā€™m opening a model which was not in metric, and nor 15mm nor 1.5mm was making any sense for the with Ahahahah

There are some interesting bits of info about sand riding scattered throughout those discussions http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=31323
and http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=22765
and those pics of crazy tyres!

(https://www.extremekites.com.au/topic/7251-check-out-my-monster-tyres/)
keep it mind that those discussions are kite based, so the performance on soft sand is a bit different (as in better) than on a 2wd or 4wd eboard.

Iā€™ve used a bigfoot buggy a few times, and the good thing about them is that they actually open a whole new dimension of riding sand dunes. Thatā€™s buggy riding in 3D. Awesome fun when on the right spot, but at my local, the soft sand area is also where youā€™ll find lots of drift wood, and itā€™s typically much easier to ride the hard packed sand at low tide (also the plants and sand dunes are protected), so I never really splurged on the bigfoot conversion kit.

4 Likes

Just for the record, Iā€™m not RetroWeld :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the idea of the WheelEEZ- theyā€™re a bit spendy but not totally wack. You can get the tire only for $58 ea.

Iā€™m going out to Long Beach on Sunday - weā€™ll see how the current 10" hard wheels work out. If they are a total bust (and 90% of the issue is sand condition) I could see swapping in a set of these.

Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I remember about this old postā€¦
I used these 9"+ wheels on the Flexboardz Haize models and they are really excellent (confortable and very fast) but heavy (1kg per wheel)ā€¦but not good enough for dry sandā€¦

I even installed 2 wheels per arm (one on each side) to make a 8 wheelers but I never tested it (I will find pics)

If I remember well, the test with the WheelEEZ were not really positiveā€¦

The search for the perfect wheel is still onā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, probably you saved me $240 :slight_smile:

we probably need to define some bounds for the search - I donā€™t think dry sand is within my budget for this project because itā€™s almost impossible without 4WD and really big tires

Effective for wet reasonably packed sand is my target, and in that case the battle between contact patch size and amount of power needed to move the board is the difficult one.