DougM's latest build - Sand Runner

Congratulations for all your work.

I’m very curious to see how the wheels will handle the job.

What kind of wheel is it exactly? (there are some golf cart wheels that look similar).

It’s probably the way to use larger wheels without being too heavy to be ridden…

@Plurf, @Flexboardz,

They are kayak carrier wheels - they are surprisingly tough and lighter, with a bigger footprint than the rubber tires. I too am interested in how they fare :slight_smile:

They are rated at 500 pounds each, so no problem carrying my weight.

1 Like

Thanks.
Looking forward for the test…

What’s the diameter and contact patch? My friend wants to ride her MBS board in the beach and this looks like a mod I can do

10" Dia, 3.5" width, but since they aren’t inflatable the contact patch isn’t that big - but since they are flat edge to edge I think it’s a lot better than a rubber tire, which at that size seem to bulge in the center.

Much more important, I’ve found, than the tires is the sand condition. The first time we went out it was on my mountain board, which has 8 by ~1.5 standard mountain board tires and it worked great, because the sand was heavy and wet and a much larger part of the beach was wet.

The most recent time we went out, to test this board, it was soft and damp, and most of the width of the beach was dry sand.

There’s no way you’ll get over dry sand without 4WD and even then it’s iffy. Soft wet sand isn’t much better. So whatever conditions cause the sand to be heavy, wet and wide (low tide maybe?) are the best conditions.

1 Like

may be a little late to this… but check this out:

there is a thread dedicated to it

Why not caterpilars ?
@Flexboardz
with a similar system to the flexboard it could work

“with a similar system to the flexboard it could work” …in theory and in straight line, it should work but I don’t know what will happen when leaning/turning… (there are some rubber caterpilar that are quite light/flexible).

I have few sub projects about the E-Flex like AWD, larger wheels, balance control, ice blades or ski…but not yet caterpilars…

Seems like the best solution to soft sand is horsepower, 4WD and big paddle tires. The problem is that the machine becomes really heavy because of the amount of battery you’d need.

I tried to drive the Sand Runner into the soft sand with no rider (just the board) and it bogged down immediately and just spun the back tires.

I’m ok with only riding on packed sand, that’s the most fun anyway because it’s tangentially similar to snowboarding (you can kick the back out, etc.), but I wasn’t expecting the beach conditions to be so variable. Now I’ll need to look at the tide tables when planning my trips.

I worked on a flexboardz like design for a while - I might come back to it since I’m fundamentally unhappy with skate truck based mountainboards, but that’s a project for another winter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer - I did manage to get a FocBox for this build. If it works ok I’ll probably get another one

2 Likes

I have this nagging feeling that you would do better with MBS T2 type tires on hubs running on soft sand. Consider getting some MBs five stars and the T2 9” when @tinp123 gets to be GB.

Really enjoyed the build thread nice going

2 Likes

My first test was with 10" hand truck tires

and that didn’t cut it. It seems like the contact patch on a 9" tire would be even smaller.

I’ll let you know how these new wheels do.

1 Like

So I got the board out to the park for its first field test with the new electronics and the new wheels and everything feels solid - much more power and the wheels didn’t fall off.

Here is a video of a test run through the grass

Next stop - the beach! But not until next weekend.

2 Likes

I saw it and read enough to forget again :laughing:

I think you can make whatever you need which is a nice position to be in…there could be a weight vs tyre pressure vs sand cohesion vs speed thing going on.

Hopefully I’ll have some comparative data in a month or two on some other setup choices

1 Like

Oh sand. It gets everywhere and stays there. Add salt into the mix and recipe for disaster. All you can do is a strip down and clean after every ride and still you will find sand somewhere for the next 2 weeks. What a build this is man seriously. Absolutely brilliant read. Riding on sand you either need lots of power and paddles or you go low pressure tyres. The thing that gives you traction is not width its length of contact patch so by lowering the pressure the tyre has more area driving you so a larger diameter tyre will have more effect than a big old fat one.

I am loving this thread keep up the awesome work brother.

2 Likes

Holy shit. Been a while since I popped in here, you have been hard at work!

This is fucking spectacular! BOTY contender for sure!

3 Likes

I can’t believe this is the first time I notice this thread.
Whole lotta work and ingenuity here.
Congratulations sir.

4 Likes

Same man. Can not believe I missed this.

1 Like

I almost missed this. You should use a single hash at the start of the line to say there is a video.

Video!

1 Like

Soft sand is a no go fo a board (too big tires, too much power, too heavy…).

Agree that hard wet sand is very fun to ride but you need tide chart/meteo, … other option is dry lake like Ivanpah but it’s not really common…

Btw, where are you located?

That’s the first time that I will acknowledge that the size of contact patch matters : you need to deflate your tire until it’s pressure is lower that ground max resistance (ie when you stand on your board, it doesn’t puncture the gound)…generally around 10/15 psi…that’s mean large diameter (9"minimum) wide tire, without too much sculpture (to avoid shearing).

I missed you other post (thanks for your interest in the flex stuff/feel free if you need info about it) and will follow up there (I’ve also interest in foils)