Does anybody else lose small fasteners on their board like it's their day job?

Recently finished my DIY build (thank you all for your help btw) and I’ve been riding it for about 3-4 weeks. In that time, I’ve already lost like 4 set screws for my motor pulleys (the originals + 2 spares I bought) and 2 of the socket head cap screws for the motor plate. Am I the only one that does this? Is there a solution other than cranking down the screws (i.e. loctite)?

Loctite

5 Likes

Weld everything. All of it

2 Likes

Blue loctite for it to stay in place, red loctite to really make it stay in place, green loctite if you absolutely have to have it stay in place

4 Likes

TLDR

Blue = it will kinda hold
Red = standard
Green = don’t need to remove it ever? green it is

3 Likes

Are you letting the threadlocker cure for 24h before you go riding again? For some even 48h is recommended. And even then, if a bolt is holding something mechanical in place you should use red, and if that fails – green and now it’s permanent :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Everyone talks about Loctite color, but to really be the most helpful, add a product link or model number. There are many blues, greens, and reds, and they are all different.

9 Likes

If you put the smallest dab of green Loctite 290 on them after you install them, you won’t have any more lost ones.

3 Likes

Is this wiki still correct or missing anything?

2 Likes

Locktite is overrated and a pain in the ass to remove later so I use locking washers where the tiny bit of extra height won’t cause any issues. Just make sure to replace them after a while since they do start wearing out. I typically replace mine when doing other maintenance, but I also buy extra bolts when it is possible to find more locally.

That way if I loose too many bolts I can replace them at home and then go out and buy more for future use. It is annoying to have to wait for parts or to be unable to skate to the store to buy more.

3 Likes

200w (5)

12 Likes

I agree 100%, nylon lock nuts are 10x better

uhh, I disagree 100%. Locking washers suck

3 Likes

I always try to use Nylocks if I can, I buy those bitches in bulk :grin:

I have bags for each size depending how used it is

1 Like

But that requires an extra tool for removal. Lock washers need no tool to remove

Where they’re possible to be used they are the best option, but if you can’t access the end of the bolt then they’re useless.

They work well when used with other methods to hold a bolt in place. Like a threaded hole that isn’t open on the other side. Adding a locking washer will help prevent vibrations from loosening the bolt over time, and probably also help prevent damage to the internal threads too.

What are we talking about here?

Split ring washers

or like Nord lock washers.

Because the first is totally utterly useless for stopping a fastener from backing out and you’re better off using a normal washer with enough torque. I’ve read the paper, tested the outcomes.

The second are :dizzy: awesome and i applaud you if you’re overkilling it that hard.

But Loctite is the correct answer. You don’t even have to clean the threads, you can just pile more on and it’ll work well enough. But if you’re not letting it cure, its not doing anything.

Nylon locknuts have their place, but you should be inspecting the nylon insert every time you go to reinstall or else you’re just rolling the dice. They wear out / finite life span.

Yes

4 Likes

What size were the ones you tested? They work very well for smaller bolts and I’ve tested that first hand with hub motors and found that not using them will lead to bolts coming loose but with them they don’t come loose.

If you suddenly have a ton of vibrations the bolts can still loosen a little bit but they’ll prevent all of them from slipping out even if you didn’t fully tighten the bolt before hand. (made a dumb mistake the other day and didn’t tighten my bolts before heading out after a repair to a different area. Didn’t think about the fact that the event that caused the repair to be needed produced a ton of heavy vibration)

1 Like

If they’re working better with than without, you didn’t tighten the fasteners enough to begin with.

Proper preload is the first step to making sure fasteners don’t back out.

NASA and repeated testing agree

NASA Reference Publication 1228 (1990) “Fastener Design Manual”

If you’re goal is not to stop the fastener from loosening but just not to lose it entirely… then… i don’t know man, you do you. That’s not what i care about. If my whole board is sloppy ive already failed.

Our #1 source of failure is vibration. I’m always thinking about what it does to the system. It’ll kill everything eventually if you let it.

3 Likes

I honestly hate this argument. I’d much rather use an extra tool for install/removal than deal with a sub-standard, unreliable work method.

7 Likes

I’m enroute to get more map gas.

I didn’t know this prior to esk8, but fasteners are life. If you are serious about anything that goes fast, then sign up for the fasten life.

2 Likes

I don’t see how those could work as grub screws on the pulley :man_shrugging::face_with_monocle:

Proper choice of loctite type is the key.
Blue 243 for example isn’t really strong and used on parts which need maintenance. Should be easy to get a screw out with a normal hex key.

1 Like