Do you think you can run a 3d-printed spur gear?

So i have a 3dservisas nano geardrive that shredded its plastic gear. New gear is on its way but meanwhile we can theorycraft if this would last.

What do you guys think, is it possible to 3d-print one? I was thinking of printing it in glas-fiber reinforced nylon. Or is there some other material that is stronger?

Im a bit skeptical myself but considering the cheap price of plastic im willing to try

4 Likes

Have you contacted them?
I would expect they would supply replacement plastic gears.

I did, a couple of days ago. So i dont know yet if they will sell me a gear but im going ahead and expecting the worst. Gotta get back on the road quick :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would wait a few days.
Not supplying this gear as a spare part is unthinkable and would constitute a serious reason to avoid that drive. I am sure @3DServisas will offer it as a spare part.

2 Likes

I agree with you but since this is a hobbyspace you can never be sure.

Anyway, since i already started this thread and i just finished drawing up the gear in cad im gonna go ahead and print it in glass-fiber nylon and try it out for science. My hypothesis is that its not gonna work but yolo or something.

1 Like

Wait for an answer, do not worry. :slight_smile: Do not print. Unless you want some trauma or something…

Did you have the backlash on the gears set properly? I used those drives for hundreds of miles and the gears still look like new. Most common problem when people shred the gears are they have the gears meshed to to tightly.

4 Likes

Shit got in the drive, i found half a forest in it. So my guess is some gravel basically ground the poor gear up. Im sure it would last basically forever if it didnt get contaminated.

2 Likes

1 Like

You wrote to me 17:43(GMT+2), today.

6 Likes

I wrote to you, again. :slight_smile: However last time i did it from my phone so i guess something went wrong if you did not get it.

1 Like

I will answer to you soon. You might have misplace the V-ring without enough pressure. There’re no other places for the dirt/gravel to come in.

2 Likes

The v-ring was very dirty on both sides so that is most problably what happened. So problably an error from my side.

4 Likes

I can say it’s possible I had 2 razor xs one I 3d printed gears for with the right infill there isn’t a difference

interesting! Right now im trying to figure out the specs of the gear. Whilst i can get the teeth pretty close i dont think i will ever be smart enough to replicate a wrecked gears original specs for the teeth. Im printing it right now but im pretty sure i did not get a 100% fit.

Anyway, once i solve that it will be fun to try printed gears.

3 Likes

@surfnacho you might be able to help this guy! with a 2.5d machine its doable… I think :thinking:
https://forum.esk8.news/t/custom-machining-decks-mounts-and-more-cnc-laser-3d-printer-etc-based-in-ventura-cali/27479/55

1 Like

sweet. I will take a look when I get home :call_me_hand:

1 Like

This is a bit late but to anyone in the future looking to do this I’ve had some luck printing Nylon/Carbon fibre mix gears. They have done about 30+ miles now and still going strong.

Hi

I had the same problem, tell me if you found a solution to replace it

Its have been 35days now without riding and trying to find i replacement :confused: