DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

Has anybody had luck with drilling out the back side of the inserts for easier removeability of the weights?

1 Like

I sent doug an email a few weeks ago suggesting this for future development, i really dont like that they are not removable… means they arent truly adjustable… well… they are once i guess

Given their apparent fragility I think 3d printing some TPU replacements would be best, get that removal feature and such.

Maybe @Fosterqc has the CAD model

This is afer about 50km, could just be the paths i travle but these seem more suited to smoother surfaces , they dont seem to handle my terrain without pretty solid wear and damage

4 Likes

That looks like the pro, that makes sense.

2 Likes

Were pro meant for track usage? I didnt read that anywhere

1 Like

I mean that’s how I read it, not an every day wheel. They wear down much faster, are less comfortable, and have more grip versus the comforts

3 Likes

I could (and probably am) be wrong but i thought the only difference betwthe comfort and pro was the inserts to stiffen it up

1 Like

No they’re completely different compounds - sounds like the marketing needs a little bit of help

5 Likes

I put only about ~25 miles on these so far. The last ride was the first time I was going full throttle most the time. These are “Hollow Wheels PRO: Maximum Grip × 1”. First batch.

Didn’t notice until I got home, but the outer wheel core broke off when I got back from my last ride. It was a little wet outside. I wouldn’t trust these at any speed. Outside of this failure there are other issues.

You can easily de-lamination between the wheel compound and the core. Camber is way to aggressive. My kegel adapters were a struggle to insert, holes on the wheels aren’t big enough. Bearings fit well on 1 side, but not the other.

Outside of that, I appreciate the effort to design something new like this, but I think these are just unsafe and other riders should be aware of this.

6 Likes

@BallisticBullocks thats a new failure mode, how are the other wheels. more pictures please

1 Like

I also have more questions, like how could you not notice the entire outside piece of a wheel missing?

How many miles/ How heavy are you? Are you using them within spec?

The bearing fitment is fair, mine were really tight, and the kegel problem I think is being worked on as well.

2 Likes

It looks like the inner race of the outer wheel bearing is still sitting on the axle, suggesting a bearing failure occurred.

In the event of an outer bearing failure, the Hollow Wheels have no other mechanism to retain the wheel cover, so it makes sense that it would fly off.

This does raise the question of what would happen if the inner bearing failed, as it’s the only bearing supporting the tread of the wheel. It seems like a Hollow Wheel would become far more unstable than other urethane wheels if it were to fail.

1 Like

No actually I agree. What we’re looking at is the inner core. The outer core of these wheels is only ABEC.

You can see the inner race there, for some reason, the bearing looks like it exploded.

4 Likes

I think I know why, instead of drilling for the kegel pins to go through it was just tightened into submission putting all the pressure on the outer bearing race. I deleted my miss information.

2 Likes

I believe this. That would cause deflection of the outer core, in a pretty significant way, and put all of the pressure into an axial load on the bearing, which probably destroyed it.

Someone else pointed out that you can’t see the kegel pins sticking through, so maybe this isn’t quite true but the bearing is still gone

4 Likes

Overtightening could certainly cause something like this. Maybe installation instructions should be updated to include adding washers or spacers behind the wheel if necessary until a new batch of wheel covers is released.

@BallisticBullocks what is the width of the spacer you used between the bearings?

2 Likes

Just going to generally respond to most the questions. All the other wheels are fine. It’s possible it was “overtightened”, but I sincerely doubt this would happen to my Caguamas under any circumstance. Frankly I didn’t even notice the outer piece completely missing. Who knows how long I rode with it off?

For the record I weigh 180 lbs and I put these on my Onsra Black Carve 1 trucks. Clearly the outer cores of these wheels can’t take much abuse. I think the fact that they are split into 2 pieces severely weakens them.

I’m not sure what more information pictures would tell, but I’m happy to oblige.

10mm

1 Like