DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

I am right at the top of the limit on the non-pro version but I’m not concerned about it. I’m a casual rider… I don’t carve real hard very frequently, and tend to ride paved rail trail type paths. I’m just looking forward to some added comfort over regular urethanes. Curious what kind of mileage I’ll get compared to my other wheels (85 caguamas, 105 cloud wheels, 150 pneumies)

I think right between (but close to the 105 CW) 105 CW and 85 Cag

1 Like

Amazing! Well I’ll be hammering my set of Pro’s when they arrive and can report back to you how they hold up. Will smash them around a T Race Track with a total weight of Rider and board around 115kg.

4 Likes

I just ordered a set. Want to try out some different wheels and I’m sick of my pneumies going flat. Might not fit my current trucks, but then I’ll just buy some new trucks. :grinning:

1 Like

<3 Thanks!

1 Like

What’s the shipping looking like? Email updates stated they got to NA last month, so where’s the wheels now?

2 Likes

Boats are a little slow I guess, but supplier says it should arrive in US soil in a couple of weeks.

2 Likes

I am super excited to have ESK8Unity review my Hollow Wheels Pro. I gave Fred my very first and only production set that I have on hand (I don’t even have my own Hollow Wheels…) so he could make a video in time for the Hollow Wheel official launch. All orders will be fulfilled soon as my shipping container full of already almost sold out Hollow Wheels hit USA land! The review is coming shortly and will be posted on Fred’s channel: https://www.instagram.com/esk8unity/

The Hollow Wheels has been a personal project spanning 2 years and I fought through COVID and the ensuing global supply chain crisis. This has been the result of years of sleepless nights, stressing over every little detail, working day and night, and never ending delays that were out of my control. I’m super grateful to all my early supporters and for all the initial beta testers that were brave enough to try out my hand made wheels.

The Hollow Wheels PRO are designed for riders that want no compromise grip. It’s by far the lightest wheel in the category and just about as light as a 85mm Caguama wheel, but grips so hard that in a skid pad my legs literally give out (due to high, sustained load… riding in a circle for 10 minutes at a time is like feels like holding a 140lb squat for 10 minutes) before I can break traction.

I have been seeing a trend in wheels wherein they are constantly getting larger but exceedingly heavier, which has adverse effects on the nimbleness and agility of the board. I began to miss that and so it was my goal to bring back lightness. I think the result is something very special.

I devoted thousands of hours to testing and developing, using as data to guide my decisions to make the grippiest wheel that I could.

Here is an example of a skidpad (pretty much a big circle and riding as fast as possible to yield the lowest lap time possible. Faster lap time = more grip. Video: Half a Skidpad Grip Testing - YouTube)

Here are some pictures from Fred’s first ride today!

r/ElectricSkateboarding - ESK8Unity <> Hollow Wheels Pro

As kind of a recap, here are some pictures over the years!

My custom rolling road durability simulator - it can simulate rider weight of 600lbs and subject a wheel to hitting a .5 inch bump at 35mph (AKA over 90,000 bumps in a matter of minutes!)

Countless iterations of wheels. I went through 10-15 (I lost count) iterations of the wheels over the years to increase durability and performance.

The early days of me hand casting wheels and the initial production of the first set of wheels!

16 Likes

I can’t wait to see @ShutterShock review em!

5 Likes

Fred carves pretty hard on his urethane wheels. He is an ideal tester to see how well the wheels grip in the corners.

4 Likes

That is definitely one fair point. I don’t carve like he does so it would be harder to see the benefits of the pro wheels for my normal ride style on rkp

Anyways I’m excited to get mine whenever the batch shows up! Love the colors

2 Likes

Yeah he is a Thane lover :slight_smile: I agree the ideal tester

The more I think about it, a variety of testers are best. We all do not have the same riding style. Getting input from various testers gives you a more comprehensive evaluation of the wheels capabilities.

4 Likes

Only issue is he spends a lot of time riding in parking lots and not in harsher environments like on the road. I look forward to anyone else’s review

10 Likes

Quick update: I pinged the factory asking when the shipping container would arrive. They told me 9/9 to 9/16, somewhere around there.

Pretty disappointing. I asked them what the delay was about and they informed me that the shipping container had been delayed getting out of China due to inspection.

9 Likes

I’ve nearly saved up for the next batch, so I’m going to be placing an order for more Hollow Wheels. The regular version since I still have a of PRO wheels left and don’t have enough money to meet the MOQ they want for them.

3 Likes

How did you get a hold of the

Depending on how I feel about running all urethane wheels I may end up picking up a set of the pro wheels. Have you done any testing with them in wet conditions?

If I still want more improvement after ditching my hub motors, the pros look like they could be a good choice. Max total weight of my board is only ever 150-165 pounds (give or take 15 pounds to account for the weight of my dog) so no issues there.

I’d offer to test them out in all weather conditions but unfortunately I’m no longer in a place where that is possible. Which sucks because I’ve ridden even in icey conditions, snow, and nasty road slush before and would have no issues doing it again. No one else on this forum is dumb enough to do the same

Unfortunately no because I live in CA and I don’t think it has rained in months. But I have given beta testing sets to a couple of people that live in or around NYC and I can see if they have ridden in the wet. However, I don’t think it will perform any better than any wheel as it does not have any water evacuating tread pattern.

5 Likes

Also, I will be out of pocket with zero internet from the 27th to the 4th. The place I am going to is in the desert and no ability to get a cell signal.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

6 Likes

Don’t worry we’ll take care of the container if it’s arriving while you’re off grid :joy:

6 Likes