DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

It make sense man no hard feelings, we just feel Brian is good at providing feedback.

I am sure everyone was hounding you for free stuff, it’s an enticing proposition for people to get free things to test haha

1 Like

If I recall, I actually offered to buy a set to test.
Correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

You did, but at the time I was hand making these (it was taking a super long time) and I was already trying to get views on it.

Not saying I am right, but trying to provide some context as to what I was thinking. But not defending that decision bc always talking to people and getting feedback trumps marketing. At that stage, I think I had a mind set that I had enough feedback to think that the design was finalized and I was going to production already. Also, I wasn’t super comfortable selling those hand made versions.

But after going through all this stuff now and going through months of iterations that I didn’t know I had to do, I am more comfortable.

I talked with the manufacturer and they want me to finalize which wheel to go with either the 75A (batch 3, sample A) or the 82A (batch 4, sample B) design, but not both. They also are getting a little tired of all the iteration changes (they just wanna start making money), so the next batch is going to be 200 sets. I hope the 200 sets are the final design bc if they aren’t… well, that is just the cost of doing business, but I have it budgeted.

RIght now, I don’t have many wheels (of the best production versions Batch 3, Sample A and Batch 4, Sample B) because each iteration we just made a very small amount of wheels to test. So I have to control the wheels and collect as much data on my instrumentation system as possible. It is true, I do have Anthony and soon Kevin Graehl with some wheels, but those are Batch 3, sample C, which have some known short comings so those I do not need to analyze with my test rig. If they don’t break or delaminate, which they do have a strong possibility of doing so, I can send them to you. If something breaks on your board, I would replace it but I can’t cover health expenses - it is at your own risk.

10 Likes

@kevingraehl what were your thoughts on them?

1 Like

They feel like a sportbike tire vs a rigid harley with a truck tear tire.

They pretty dmn good. But still haven’t ridden a set that that hasn’t had oscillations,. But those were early prototypes. I ask alot from a wheel with my weight and high power needs. The first few batches I tested were hand poured, and just 3d printed cores.

Next week I get a pre production model and I intend on trying my best to break them. If I don’t then will be my top 3

It’s still a fight between cloud Wheels, tb110, and hollow.
The hollow absolutely smashes all others in corners at the last second of grip. It’s predictive over bumps while at max carve lean , such as a 180 hairpin. Other then a pneumatic, I’ve never seen this much grip

16 Likes

And how does it impact the range?

1 Like

That’s one of my top questions, along with what happens when you run through broken beer bottles, gravel, pebbles, rain, or put lots of kilometers on them.

Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback as always. Always super helpful from the beginning. Thank you so much!

Kevin is getting Batch 3, sample C. So it doesn’t have great chemical adhesion between the core and the tread and as such is susceptible to delamination.

I wish I could provide the sample A, but I need to put those through the test rig and I don’t have any extras. But he’ll get the sample A as soon as I get extra.

For reference, what am I talking about Batch 3, sample A… C, etc.?

7 Likes

This you?? lol

4 Likes

Aw poop.

I broke a motor mount. Long shot: Does anyone have any motor mounts in steel that is compatible with the Torqueboard mounts and can hold a 6374 motor? I aslready asked TB. Part failure is causing more downtime.

13 Likes

When your motor mount breaks before a wheel I think it’s a good sign. Or that your test rig puts out way more impact forces than a road will ever do.
Good work dude! Look forward to seeing/trying these in their natural habitat, pavement.

16 Likes

BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!! BOARDNAMICS M1!!!
@Boardnamics you should sponsor that test rig in exchange for some wheels

Alternatively @surfnacho could machine you some steel mounts in a jiffy maybe, @DEEIF just got a CNC so prob too new.

11 Likes

It’s like you want that machine to be even louder than it already is :laughing:

But yeah, being able to test the durability of the gear drive at the same time as testing wheels would be dope

5 Likes

Too many independent variables LoL.zz

3 Likes

Those pulleys have seen better days

1 Like

I think I have some steel motor mounts that would work. I’ll check when I get home this evening.

1 Like

Lol you just want to see if the test rig will break the gear drives

4 Likes

I would place my bets on the the hanger bending or the test rig breaking in that case.

That would be an interesting thing to place bets on, engineering style.

1 Like

Yes, please do.

These huge motors are basically wagging in the air so it is no wonder why they break so quickly. If you can check, I would greatly appreciate it. Please let me know how much I owe you.

Also, here is a quick update today. Sorry for bad lighting, bad hair cut, and broken parts. Ugh.

Quick Update: Hollow Wheel Durability Testing: Broke a motor mount and corner testing - YouTube

7 Likes

@TheGoodMomentum Here’s what I got (the one on the right). Custom 6mm steel plates with two mounting options; 60-70MM & 100-115mm CTC distance with aluminum clamps that appear to have the same plate mounting holes as the TB one in the picture (40mm) and also fit TB 218 truck profile. I have a pair of these steel mounts, but I’ll have to pull the other one off a board I don’t use anyway, if this will work for you. I also have almost every belt length on hand so if you need belts to make this work, let me know. I doubt you’ll be able to break these, so if you just want to borrow them for testing and send them back whenever you’re done, we can just discuss shipping costs. Let me know if this will work!

11 Likes