DIY Wheels - Hollow Wheels - Very Comfy

Slightly TLDR – but I thoroughly skimmed

@TheGoodMomentum the wheels are looking great! I think you’re on the right track so ill just float some ideas to brainstorm on.

• I would get a hurry up on doing some cold-weather testing on the urethane compounds and specifically the core. I was reminded of the cracked and failed o-ring that brought down the Shuttle Challenger (PS watch the show Away on Netflix if you like space). The impacts of riding and applying motor power to the core after sustained freezing temp exposure are both things I would suggest testing since the seasons are changing. Obviously if you have some good data on this already its probably fine. But urethanes can vary a lot. Same goes for the adhesives and such, cold and hot
    I very much like the deep concave face with the fingers extending to the edge. Keep this
  • I do not believe that the wheel diameter should be tapered from outside to in. Its not only likely to wear down on the inner edge much faster but think about the motions the wheel will go through if the opposite wheel goes over a bump or into a hole independent of this one. A flat wheel has a core that’s much narrower. So the inner and outer edges are not as thick. This allows them to deform at the edges and maintain the surface contact across the width of the wheel. Because of this, you may need to play with the thickness between the road surface and where the spokes extending from the hub end.
  • Surface contact is directly related to efficiency. Not much way around it. A domed shaped wheel just wastes weight in the interest of reducing the impact of efficiency. The cloud wheels do exactly this. Big part of the reason the Onsari rubber wheels are eating more efficiency than pneumatics 30mm bigger in diameter.
  • PU sucks when interacting with water. I dont know the specs of the wheel sizes and such off hand. But lets say its a 65mm wide wheel and you’d like the contact patch to be 45-55mm. Make it flat, cut tread into it. This seems silly to even still be talking about. Wheels need some tread. Were not downhill longboarding on a 77* cali day where it hasn’t rained for 6 weeks. Definitely a win to add some tread rather than creating a convex contact patch.
  • I honestly think you can move on from ABEC cores all together. Lots of us, myself included still have ABEC equipment. But designing around the kegel is much better
  • the taller your diameter gets, the more grip they can sustain and the faster the turn - the more lateral forces on the bearing seat in the center of the wheel. An area that some how needs to not flex much while enduring all of the lateral forces with 125mm/2 of leverage on it.

Totally agree - however, Id argue that the cars that do not have alignment corrections are only that way because their suspension and steering geometry is perfect. Adding to that perfect geometry, the range of suspension travel those vehicles are designed for does not cause substantial enough deviations to alignment as the wheel travels through the range. Im sure there are examples I’m not considering, but just applying that logically. My mustang has camber for that purpose and its been adjusted for bump-steer because its geometry is anything but perfect.

As it applies to esk8:
For deep pushes into corners, the overwhelming majority of that force is lateral grip on the contact surface of the wheels. As the angle toward the ground at which the rider’s forces are being applied changes (lean), that will dictate how much lateral grip is applied to the wheels vs toward the ground. The fixed axle transfers that force to the wheels, but it provides almost no influence on the vector or magnitude of that force.
A fixed axle suffers from two major issues for esk8 IMO: Bind and contact consistency.

• Bind occurs when the force required to compress the bushing begins to exceed the forces keeping the opposite wheel down-- what you’re doing to compress the bushing on one side is essentially lifting the other. Lots of esk8 riders use very firm bushings that are really tight for high-speed stability. You’ll know this if you ever kick a board around and get a feel for how loose you can ride when you’re limited to one human power. Other than rider error with weight placement, this can make the outside wheel start to lift mid-turn – then its washout city for you. Wider hanger widths help here
  • Contact consistency happens because bumps, stones and everything that changes the elevation between one wheel and the other instantly causes an interruption in contact. This is fixed by softer wheels that can deform across the surface to take on a shape that is not parallel to the axle.
    Independent suspensions eliminate both of these.

Glad to see these doing well

4 Likes

If you can get dimensions, I can tell you.

Yeah, need to keep some trade secrets…

2 Likes

No they work with ABEC too. By default, I am shipping 2 ABEC and 2 Kegel wheels to capture most of the market.

Though, if you want all 4 of each kind, lmk.

1 Like

I think I asked to have four of the Kegel for my set but it doesn’t really matter yet seeing how far away from shipping we are

I agree that you should design around Kegel like @bwahl602 said, it’s just a better, stronger core overall.

2 Likes

nice, but i still got some other shoes to go through before pull the trigger on this set, 2 abec and 2 kegel is actually a clever idea, although im tired of getting those abec spokes to fit perfectly for each wheel, it will be kegel for me if i ever pull the trigger :eyes:

2 Likes

Came in to quickly browse. Got meetings. Will give this a read later on.

I already spent a shit load on the tooling so I can’t be making last minute changes.

2 Likes

How does Boardnamics keel pulley fit?

Which kegel pillows do these wheels fit?

It looks like it doesn’t fit 3ds, or BN which means it won’t fit TB …

I feel like those are some of the most popular pulleys around…
:eyes::penguin:

2 Likes

Pretty sure he mentioned revising that already

1 Like

:call_me_hand: my mistake… I’ll practice reading some more…

I’ll show myself out🍻

4 Likes

Yes, I have noted 4 Kegels for you and I’ll be asking again when tooling is finally completed. Kegel is much stronger because there is just so much more material there. However, my ABEC core is still very strong. The outer lip of the ABEC and Kegel is very thick. The latest revision is 6mm+, especially since the manufacturer made me put in more mechanical locks.

@stayfocus18 it fits, just need to take off 6mm off the top of the Kegel pegs

@ahrav according to a model I was given by foster, BN will fit, but need to shave off 6mm (.25") off the top of the kegel pegs.

@bwahl602 I’m super tired but I’ll try to answer some of your thoughts as thoroughly as I can

• Yes, trying to do cold weather testing. 3 FOS is used to on load cases for a 500lb man going through pot holes. Correlated a lot of my FEA on my load test rig that can measure deflection vs. force. Don’t have a great. I don’t have a great elastomer solver, but think the FOS of 3 is quite a bit

• Not really following this second bullet. It will wear the inside a little more, but this is also made from hard urethane, 80A. It’s not going to wear down like a soft cloud wheel as quickly. It really improves turn in response, rolling resistance is higher so it doesn’t F up range as much, and I or other testers have not complained about control over bumps. I’ve tested both holding as many variables constant and tested. This feature is a corner stone of the wheel.

• Efficiency? Efficiency related to what? You mean rolling resistance? Not following. Super tired.

• Honestly, no one has done any of the water testing to make any tread to displace water correctly. If you’re trying to go 20mph+ in the wet, you’re asking for trouble. Besides, the tooling is done and this is for maximum grip. So I wanted as much surface interaction with the road. This wheel is designed for MVP.

• I have to try to make my money back on this after now $30k invested. ABEC is super popular and so ABEC will be included. I don’t know what Cloudwheel did to fuck up their core so badly - maybe too much stress from bad bearing tolerance, maybe poor material choice… I don’t know. But ABEC has worked and a lot of people have both. I’m in it to win it and capture as much of the market as I can without sacrificing quality.

• Maybe a cool innovation is independent suspension for esk8. Hunter seems to be working on something interesting.

5 Likes

I don’t know if you realize how hard this is lol these are hardened steel pins

But yes they’re stronger because there’s more material and less stress concentrations, it’s all rounds

2 Likes

I know. It’s unfortunate. I simply don’t have enough money to make tools of covers of ABEC and Kegel.

3 Likes

That’s okay, we will make do

When do you think other colors will be available?

So you based them on Kegel and ABEC cores as there most common used pullys but it seems most of the popular good quality pullys don’t fit.

Is there a list of pullys that have been tried and tested?

Presuming gear drives won’t be comparable either for the same reason. Feels as tho your limiting your potential customers after doubling you tooling costs trying to keep both the ABEC and kegal core people happy.

Will take them off tomorow to measure both ABEC and kegal peg lengths

In the analysis, the most popular pulleys are actually Kegel and it’s actually Boosted by shear volume. I sell a lot of other small performance parts for non DIY skateboards and so I have a really good amount of data.

Boosted by far is the most popular and it’s the most popular by a land slide (about 100k riders). Then Evolve is the next but not even close to 100k… Those are very long ABEC teeth for some reason, which is why I went with an ABEC cover. All the non DIY boards have very short about 12mm long Kegel pegs.

I don’t sell a lot of DIY parts… nearly none so I didn’t really have good data on that and I don’t know how many they have sold. As it pertains to the entire market, there are about 500,000 esk8 people. As it pertains to belt driven, 100k is Boosted, then Evolve, then other budget boards, then DIY

This is not to say I am not neglecting DIY. I am on this forum after all and I had a lot of DIY beta testers. DIY people have the highest willingness to buy since they went through the insane friction of actually building the boards. You guys are all engineers or close to it. You guys, like me, are obsessed.

I think there might be some room to carve out a little more space for 6mm of Kegel. The cover doesn’t see a lot of load. It will add more delay time since I have to change the tooling a little bit, but shouldn’t be too bad and seems like you guys really want it.

Are those numbers right? I think the DIY crowd is about 20 to 40k strong?

Pulleys that I have tried: Boosted Kegel, Evolve ABEC, Evolve Kegel, Cloud Wheel pulleys, Metroboard Kegel, Metroboard ABEC, Exway Kegel, Exway ABEC. Kevin G. had this DIY Kegel but had to shave the pegs down. I forget. BKB ABEC

@EreTroN hopefully soon, but I’m laser focused on just getting the tools done right at first. The colors will come - next year.

5 Likes

Sorry man. I’ll see what I can do and see what the time implications are and report back. National holiday at the factory so they won’t be replying till at least 5 more days. You probably spent a good chunk of change on a hardened pulley and I know that you don’t to take an angle grinder to it. Just trying to make everyone happy. Of course, I have to get majority vote from everyone that purchased too.

1 Like

you must have some weird/interesting dreams

3 Likes