DIY Onewheel Hoverboard

Got a hoverboard (correct model) with a dead cell so I am jumping on the train and building one of these :slight_smile: Will be a fun budget build and cheap if my friends want their own

3 Likes

Recycling packs. I bought some old packs from a Hoverboard repair company. 2 of them had ‘Samsung 22P’ cells. I took the best 18 cells of each pack and rearranged them.

Honestly said I would just buy some new 21700 batteries next time for a 12s2p or 13s2p. Yes it would cost around 150€ but size is smaller and performance better.

3 Likes

Good luck! Costs are minimal if you are creative with your sourcing. Printing takes a lot of time but these things are fun and well worth it.

Tip on the printing the rim. Inner dimension will be better if you print it with the open side up (like a cup). I printed it the other way around and needed to do some sanding to get a good fit.

1 Like

Oh that sounds cool. Was thinking of doing a 12/13s1p with Samsung 30T cells, which would come out at like 140Wh and 35A discharge give or take. But if you’re estimating 10-12km range with that 12s3p pack (approx 286Wh, assuming the cells were all Samsung 22P), I’ll probably get pretty poor range. Might have to reconsider the battery solution. Also did you have to split up the enclosures and foot pads to print them?

I would definitely go 2P! You will not get proper range from a 1P battery. Also those discharge ratings are under optimal conditions.

https://www.nkon.nl/rechargeable/li-ion/18650-size/sony-us18650-vtc6.html

A 12S2P pack with these cells will give you the same range as my scrappy 3P pack. If you expect to do long commutes a 12S3P pack with these cells will probably get you 18-20km range.

Not sure what you mean with the foot pads. I have my footpad design on Thingiverse. Search for DIY onewheel and you will find it.

3 Likes

How did you split the enclosures to still have them strong enough after gluing? :slight_smile:
Got 1.5hrs left on my first half of the motor case :smiley: Spend almost the whole week tuning my printer

2 Likes

No glue. They are still loose parts :). It probably does affect the integrity a little bit but until now the board does just fine.

In this picture you can see that both the top as the bottom parts are split. I just cut the design exactly in 2 pieces. https://esk8-news-objects.s3.dualstack.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/optimized/3X/a/6/a6ccf03a8c1c39663ec6574339f7fd1b247062ce_2_481x750.jpeg

1 Like

Sweet! Will see if I can get them in my anet might be hard.

This sucks lol got plenty of sanding to do…

Will buy disks tomorrow so I can cheat with my grinder :stuck_out_tongue: no way I can take this much på hand. Will need to take 1mm on each half

1 Like

That looks extreme. Did you measure the diameter of your print and compare it to the digital file? How do the holes line up?

Also check if the front side of your motors don’t bind with the ledge in the middle of the print.

Haven’t measured :stuck_out_tongue: doesn’t bind on the sides. Grinded down one side will do the other today. The holes line up after grinding.

Do you think this would handle being used off road?

1 Like

Hub is done :slight_smile: got a hold of superkart driver thru my karting contacts and he had a few old tires laying around. will hopefully get one this week.

6 Likes

The printed rim will handle off-road just fine. The way it is designed to fit around the metal hubmotors makes load distribution very even. I am 185 pounds and bash it over curbs and dirt roads without any problems.

Here is some off-road. Nothing spectacular as I am still learning to drive the board and slick tyres are not the best choice. But it’s a lot of fun.

4 Likes

What size of the inner tube did you use? :slight_smile: Can’t seem to find any really wide.

It’s an oversized tube for 15" Tyre :slight_smile:
Check the description of this YouTube video. It has specifications and links to the correct products. https://youtu.be/kwNj2Q_Ljmw

3 Likes

ahh thanks totally missed that :slight_smile: Ordered one. The aluminum profiles arrived today :slight_smile:

What kind of tire do I need to use? Does it have to be exactly the specs mentiones or would something wider or with higher inner radius work?

1 Like

The print design requires the tire to have a 6" inner diameter. The rest is a bit more flexible I guess.

I used a front tire from a Superkart which is 5.5" wide. The smaller tires are often more rounded. Nice for carving, but less stable at lower speeds or when going straight forward.

For ideal sizes just Google Onewheel tire sizes. One of the first hits is a chart with different brands and sizes. http://thesidewaysmovement.com/onewheel-tire-upgrade/

In general:

• Inner diameter is fixed at 6".
  • Width of the tyre 5.5 or 6".
  • Outside diameter 10 - 11.5".
1 Like

I only got a hold of a 5" wide but seems to work :smiley:

Was planning to have it ready this past weekend but 3Dmeetup got cancelled so lost motivation but put together the wheel today

5 Likes

that looks a really nice offroad tread

1 Like