DIY Onewheel Hoverboard

GB= Group Buy

GB

Finally had time to get mine up and running and damb its hard specially with my narrow tire but fun as hell! Even the fiance thought it was fun (trying to sell her in on riding with me haha).

Was dumb and didn’t balance the cells before I built the pack so the voltage gap is to big for my BMS so currently charging upp all the cells one by one :stuck_out_tongue:

Might have found the issue that caused the hooverboard to random throw errors and shut of lol damn chines factory soldering…

4 Likes

Looking good. Get some griptape on there asap. It will make driving a lot easier because you will be able to make corners without the fear of slipping off.

1 Like

Already on the list :slight_smile: Think I even have some 50mm wide anti slip laying around this was a first test. Wont complete it now as I will be installing the cheap foc so might redo alot of things then.

How did you do with getting the Vesc feel that you where on the board and activate?

1 Like

been there…no fun

1 Like

Field Oriented Control

4 Likes

Velostat would be best but the hatch in the front with your switches is not very big. I had a problem with the griptape coming loose because my sensorpads where to big and left too little surface for the griptape to stick.

For now I made a bit of a hack with an old momentary switch underneath the hoverboard pushbutton. Not sure how to explain it best.

hmm I like that idea its simple and cheap just like this build :smiley: Mind sharing the STL? :slight_smile:

I don’t mind sharing, but it is really an amateur job made from basic shapes in 3d-builder. If you printed with PLA the parts will glue to the bottom of your pressureswitch plate with CA adhesive. The momentary switch that I took from an old FRSKY Taranis X9D slides in a bit tight.

switchholder.3mf (85.0 KB)

Sweet thanks! :slight_smile: Might do my own that screws in place but its a good start for inspiration

Well I waited and I found two “broken” hoverboards on Facebook marketplace for $50! So I’m getting ready to start building mine!

2 Likes

Would you bet that critical parts are broken or that things have just become disconnected like a wire or possibly minor PCB damage? interested to know to common failure modes.

I’ll let you know when I get them, My bet is something got disconnected and it “stopped working” they look like they were used a bunch but not destroyed so I’m betting on the batteries being fine maybe undercharged but I will update you as I go

1 Like

Going to make a guess for fun :slight_smile:

There is a dead cell so the BMS shuts of. Its pretty much standard with the cheap china cells even the “Samsung” ones are fake cells most of the time.

Damn the stock ESC if terrible when used to a trampa board lol really hard to get a good flow at decent speed but for low speed learning its good.

Dead cells and defective BMS is failure number 1 on those board. Also sometimes a defective footsensor board. But as you only need 1 of them for the Onewheel conversion this is no problem.

Stock ESC is smooth, but less powerful. But when calibrated with the board tilted a bit backwards you get a sweet ride for next to no money.

2 Likes

The dead cells (often the last cell in the group) are usually a result of the defective BMS. Seems like a really common issue with the Onewheel Plus. Mine is sitting unused because of it and I’m wondering what repair options I have. Not ready to go full-separates a.k.a. zombie mode.

Hai,

First of all this is a really nice project and thank you for the
extensive discription! I have started by collecting all the materials like the tire, inner tube, valve stem extention and the aluminium c-channel ( U-profile ). I only have a question about what kind of screws you are using for the rim and how long they are.

Kind regards,

Nathan (Netherlands)

1 Like

Hoi Nathan, welkom op het forum.

If you are looking for aluminium profiles you can get the 3mm version online from aluminiumopmaat.nl

Screws in the rim are M4x40mm.

3 Likes

Okay thank you.
I think I will go to a local hardware store for the screws
I bought my profile a couple of hours ago.

1 Like

What do you guys think of this tire? It’s super cheap just a bit bigger than what I have seen on here

1 Like