DIY Hub Motor (Trouble Shooting) [solved]

What do you mean? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

it was a joke because you said the cost to develop was not easy to answer but gave an amount of time it took you to get the work done. If you needed your time greatly to pay for an expensive living situation then the time spent on the hub design would have “cost” you more. Hope it makes sense to you.

2 Likes

Now I get it…lost in translation :sweat_smile:
Apparently, I already misunderstood cyrulians question. I thought somehow the question was about how much (time) I spent, but you we were asking about the money :moneybag:

Well, that I could calculate at least for the bought components:

75€ for the APS motor (could have used cheaper ones but this one I knew, I already had it and they do the kV just as you need them)
12€ for the maytech sleeve (first version)
5€ for the additional large bearing
10€ for aluminium parts, screws etc,
5€ 3D printed parts

107€ for 1 version

Version 2 adds another 20€ for the PU (although it is enough to cast 3, not only 1 for 20€) and new aluminium parts for the mould:

127€ (Approximately) for Version 2

Times 2 for 2 motors, I spent about 250€ for it. If I calculated my hours and necessary tools I would probably start crying!

So let’s say they only cost about 100€ for each motor :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the way, the final design:
https://forum.esk8.news/t/pictures-and-nothing-else/30415/4947?u=dersi

4 Likes

First 10km ran quite smooth and nice:

At the end after some km with 40km/h motors reached 80 degrees Celsius but no sign of defects so far :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

heat and hubmotors, the saga continues

1 Like

Will there ever be a propper solution to hubmotor heat problem, like forced air cooling with some sortof metal fins. From my understanding raptors heatpipes werent enough to remove all the heat.

Yeah and I’m not surprised. Read numerous posts about it and I believe the physics :nerd_face:

I pushed it quite hard that day and it is 8S with up to 40A allowed for each motor. I provoked it to see how bad it would get.

But I didn’t design it for long distance races at 40-50km/h. Just need it for short sprints :cowboy_hat_face:

Nevertheless I printed some rudimentary air scoops to maybe improve ventilation. I will try to evaluate if they might have any positive affect on the temperature but I don’t like the look…

4 Likes

The rotor throws the air out with centrifugal force. You want a scoop on the other side and where you have holes add blades inside for the air to be thrown out of like a fan. I did the same as you once.

I see ur drawing snd the metal plate u have with the scoops… if u milled slits going from center to edge would be ideal for throwing air out, but then you need a hole on the other side and will be sucking up all kinds of ferromagnetic debris.

4 Likes