DIY Funwheel kit. Its here!

Hey guys,

As most of you who are funwheel builders know that I have been selling my custom hub motor on the store for a while. I got a lot of people saying they were having trouble with the rails and adapters that hold the wheel on place. I think that is the hardest part. Because it has to be strong enough to lock the wheel in place.
So I worked with @Remieknaapen and we designed what is the sickest rails and adapters, along with 3d printable boxes. They are now available to preorder. Pics and details in the comments below
Detailed testing and assembly video out soon!

9 Likes

The rails and adapters can be bought on the store and the first batch ships before August 31. We have a limited run of 20 sets for August. They will also fit the phub in case you ordered the wheel from there (and waited 3 months lol). The boxes and skids will be provided as stl files and @Remieknaapen made sure these are 220x220 so they can be printed on a regular 3d printer.

Store link: Fungineers.tech

Happy Fungineering!

14 Likes

Have you done much testing with these or do you have some real photos to show of them printed out / made?

1 Like

Its in the works. We have a couple of designs we are trying. Hopefully in a week i should have a video of testing and assembly. As mentioned, these are still preorders.

2 Likes

Looks pretty cool, ive been thinking of getting a onewheel in the future, but building something similar myself and for less money sounds interesting. Following :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Cool cool, it looks pretty clean and simple, what size printer is required to print each end in one piece?

1 Like

220x220
@Remieknaapen should be able to answer detailed design related questions like the inside volume for batteries etc.

2 Likes

You say your phub motor is customized ? What’s custom about it? Kv? Where do they ship from?

3 Likes

would definitely order if the kit was a bit more complete
$85 for 2 rails and 2 adapters seems a bit much to me, not sure it should even be called a kit lol🤷

4 Likes

I am very interested, but the most difficult parts for me to source are not the rails. It’s the footpads / sensors and enclosures. I can make the rails if I need to (though I’d probably buy them)

Some of us don’t have 3D printers, and prefer things a tad more robust than 3D printed parts.

But I am very interested… just a bit disappointed…

8 Likes

What is the motor Kv?

2 Likes

Also wondering about how the wheel is customized vs just getting a phub-188 from aliexpress.

1 Like

The site says in a roundabout manner that it’s a custom Kv winding, but never says what it is.

4 Likes

Hey guys so to answer some questions:
Why is the price high?:
Well, in my opinion the hardest thing to make are the adapters. The rails can be sourced from any aluminium shop (although they wont be as strong), but to be able to fit the wheel in the rails and have it perfectly locked is hard, since the wheel will be rocking with high torque back and forth when changing direction. Once you actually start to make a DIY adapter you will know the struggle lol. But Im open to other ideas if there is a simpler and cheaper solution that can be DIYed, why not?! Cncing the adapters (its 2 parts) and extruding the rails alone would cost you more than $100 easily. PLUS, thats not the only thing we are providing, the enclosures are designed to fit perfectly and to adapt with the bumpers and LEDs, and any improvements in the future, so its the cost of the design too! This is actually the preorder price, it might fluctuate in the future depending on our costs.
What are the specs (kv) of the Funwheel hub motor?:
The motor is designed to have maximum torque. Its easy to have more speed (phub might have greater speed than mine but far less torque). I have limited the kv to 16 to perfectly balance the torque and speed, get max torque and around 30kmh speeds. Again, this is customized to be around 48-50V for the best efficiency for a 12S/13S. Would love to hear what you guys think and if it can be improved.
External improvements: The motor comes with a temperature sensor, the new ones come with an MT-60 connector for the 3 phase wires, so you can easily connect to the FOCer/VESC. And
how can I forget, a custom Funwheel Logo :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi!

Aluminum bars with steel torque arms bolted or welded to the aluminum, just like for high power ebikes. Cheap and efficient to make, will be super strong. But the all integrated design looks good!

16kv would be good for a higher voltage ESC too🤔

1 Like

So i´ll test it out and ordered the whole kit incl. motor and the Cheap FOCer.
Shipping with 99$ is a bit hard, but compared to the Aliexpress Phub Motor, about the same…
@Fungineers would be nice to get the footpad with it. Battery and cables is not a problem, but i´ve no clue about contact pads :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Sounds perfect to me. And yes, I already have thoughts about what will happen at 16S (67.2V) :smirk:

Then you could have torque and speed, so the lower Kv is perfect

2 Likes

Isn’t the pei Motor 10kv hence the shitty speed/massive torque, either way for the price I’ll still be buying the pei because the $100us shipping kills me

1 Like

Your location is not on your profile, so we don’t know from which shipping perspective you speak :wink:

1 Like

@Fungineers is in Dubai, he has a good YouTube channel with the same name where you can check out his various projects too

2 Likes