DIY Electric Winch

Hello Guys,

some weeks ago i found an intresting electric winch : https://rewinch.com/collections/all/products/rewinch-pack

I instantly fell in love with it, you can use it for various kinds of Board Sports (Wakeboarding Snowboarding etc.).
I know that this is an Esk8 Forum but i thought that it probably uses the same parts as an Esk8 so I thought i’ll just ask here.
I want to build my own Electric Winch, I think it can be cheaper or even more powerful in the future if needed.

Have you guys ever seen someone build their own electric winch? I have searched the internet but i Have only found very old Ressources from 2011 2012…

6 Likes

No but I tried to make a grappling hook with eskate parts once…should certainly be a doable project

3 Likes

You take a washing machine and a rope. Whammy electric winch.

2 Likes

These things look really cool. I was hovering over the buy it button but have been distracted by work and life.
You can get the cost of this right down if you buy the winch without the batteries. I was looking at making a super punchy li-ion battery.

3 Likes

At like 2 grand man

That’s quite a lot

It’s cool but you would need some beefy motors and etc if you want it to carry a person on the line

1 Like

A single 6375 at 12s has the juice to pull me straight up at 8m/s

All I would need is a 20mm pulley directly on the output shaft and some rope…and probably a 12s lipo

2 Likes

You mean the rewinch version for 1650$?
I think you can build it for less money.

3 Likes

Yep, I’m sure it’s doable but I don’t think the price is outlandish.

3 Likes

I ordered the first parts for the winch!
Motor : TB 6380 190KV
ESC : TORQUE6
Pulley & Belt : 36T KEGEL Pulley 15mm Belt

I have nearly zero knowledge in Batteries, I think I want to build a 12s3p 30T Battery for the setup but I still have a Car battery laying around, my Question would be if I would kill the esc if I manage to connect that battery to the setup?

Car Battery Specs
Name : Accurat Traction T120 AGM
Capacity : 120 Ah
Voltage : 12V
type : AGM (VRLA)

3 Likes

how are you actually gonna work the winch?
what going to physically be pulling or releasing the string

1 Like

I think you’re definitely going the wrong direction there. I would get a used battery module from batteryhookup it would be much easier cheaper and safer.

Here I would have waited for the @Boardnamics AT gear drive then built it around that.

What I think would work good is a custom wheel hub like thing that could be quickly swapped out after riding to the destination. Put some flanges on a MBS hub and call it a day.

I’ve tossed ideas for one of these around and it just depends a lot on what you want to pull but the electronics we use should definitely be able to handle it.

Good choice on the motor and ESC tho!

2 Likes

I’m planing on building it like they did here : https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-Wakeboard-Wakeskate-Winch-From-BeachWinc/

just going for the TB Motor esc and batteries instead of using a diesel engine.

I also want to build it as compact as possible, the car battery idea would be just for testing.

2 Likes

I guess you are right!

would one of these be enough? Or do I need to have multiple ones and connect them?

2 Likes

One would probably cut it but two would be boss AF

People do not recommend 13S on the Torque 6 but if you limit to top charge 4.1V a cell you’ll be chilling.

1 Like

what would be the advantage of it beaing quickly swappable?

1 Like

how many amps is that thing gonna do?
for this sort of thing i would have though you will want 100+

1 Like

Oh that idea is if you wanted to make an attachment to a regular electric mountain board to make it a rope pulling machine. Honestly surprised nobody has done this.

@Halbj613 says it’s built for power in the description idk I think it would be alright limited to 80A maybe with one of them

2 Likes

How do I limit the cells to top charge 4.1V and how do I limit it to 80A ?

2 Likes

the batteries they use on their site are lipos 10ah and 12c so 120amps max so i assume you would want quite a bit

That Idea is awesome!!

1 Like