Direct Drives???

Hey @Satoshi, good to see you here.
If you were open to the idea of a different deck. Take a look at the Loaded Omakase. By the end of this week there should be a nice little enclosure available for it.
The direct drives that are available, as others have said do have questionable quality control. If you could pick up a set of Hummie hubs that would be the best stealth simplicity drives you could get hold of. If you really must dip your toe in the direct drive market, I have a couple of sets of Carvon V2.5 drives that can go for cheap.

7 Likes

Hey!!

Thanks for the advice!!! I love my 105 cloud wheels so will most likely be sticking with them for the new build. I’m looking to build a board that will be fine in the rain, not a board designed only for the rain, so the clouds heel hold up well enough on wet ground.

And definitely going to do some more looking around for inspiration, looking to start building in around a month so I have plenty of time to prep :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome. Good luck!

I would go for 21700 molicel P42A cells for your battery. They are the best cells on the market IMO

Unity is good, xeinth has better quality checks. Another option is the sprinted Ubox which has ports for lights and a horn.

I would recommend gear drives instead of direct drives IMO the gear drives will be easier to undertake maintenance on and work out slightly more water proof.

I’ve actually seen the loaded Osaka before, loved the design but I think it’s just a little bit too big.

The hubs look ridiculous but with all the power in the world… they’re still hubs and I want to choose my wheels. Plus I don’t want to spend that much on something that might get water damaged :joy:

. Thanks for the offer but I’m looking for something a little newer, I’ve seen videos of them from around 2016 and would prefer something I don’t need to play around with.

2 Likes

Here’s another really great option.

2 Likes

I’m not interested in building my own pack tbh, there’s so much equipment to buy for it and makes me spin a little just thinking about it :sweat_smile:. But I’ll keep that in mind when asking one of the battery builders on here :]

I think I’m gonna go with the xeinth, a few people have already suggested it and it looks like a cool piece of kit.

I did look at the gear drives but wasn’t sure on how much of a difference they will make in regards to waterproofing. I Emailed Kevin from Boardnamics and he said that they are fine in the rain just not under any kind of water pressure and to bear in mind the fasteners are not rust proof. So I’m going to give gear drives a closer look :grin:

3 Likes

Yh the reason I say is that gear drives are fairly easy to dismantle where as it can be a bit more confusing and easier to damage direct drives and like you said it’s still fairly new, I have the Torque board 60kv direct drives and will need to put some work into them as one of the motors is catching on the can or something.

4 Likes

if you go gear drives maybe get somewhere more local
@moon sells for bigger wheels and @3DServisas sells for smaller like cloud wheels but is a bit more expensive

1 Like

I asked 3Dservisas what would be best for waterproofness and they said a model which was close to a grand… I thought I had a large budget but that way out there :sweat_smile:

And moon looks to be only for 6* plus.

The m1 gears were one of the only ones for street wheels and that didn’t break the bank.

1 Like

Ask @Anubis if he has an ETA on when he will have stock from the BN M1 GDs. Might be worth to wait for that if it’s not too far out.

3 Likes

Around the same time kevin gets them, maybe a couple weeks? Im not entirely sure

3 Likes

Seems like it should arrive in early april then

So it looks like I’m sold on the gear drives from Boardnamics. They look so f’ing cool :sweat_smile:. I’m a little confused by which motors would be compatible though. I’ve linked some below but wasn’t sure what size motors the gear drive can fit.

Gear drives -

Motor -

Which trucks and hangers?

6355 motors will be much easier to fit on any truck.

1 Like

Something like this - 184mm Precision Hanger |

I would shy away from 6374 size motors unless you can 100% confirm it fits first. What baseplates?

BTW those are GREAT hangers, I use them all the time

1 Like

I thought just to get them from Boardnamics too, I take it that although the specs look similar between the two motors the larger one dissipates heat better. Is there any other advantages to the larger motor?

Hi,

I am a fan of quite riding so I prefer the DDs. I own Bound motors DD version 2 with 115 rubber wheels ans they run good. The torque is less than belt ones but the DD still go fast (over 30 miles) and I am a heavy rider. Also the DD consume less power so you can get more range that belts. I also rode the ELofty and I would say that are even better than Bound motors. You can find them from onsra website or mboards. As last there are TorqueBoards DD which are single reverse trucks and are the most powerful out of the three. Cheers mk

2 Likes

Please god no.

6 Likes

Welcome to the group

1 Like