DieBieMS v0.9 Batch 4

If I can set something that compiles properly I’ll share the step by step process. Do you have any preference? Ubuntu or windows?

1 Like

Ubuntu please. :+1:

3 Likes

Oh I recall that I achieved something, but without any dev board (and because I didn’t want to mess with the one in my everyday build), it staid as it…
Once I find a dev board, I’ll dive more into the dev (can’t afford buying a new one just for that purpose).

I might pick one up from this batch. For science and dev purpose. I’ll pm you to continue this conversation

@Pimousse @TheMrLarin

Since I am not into programming, I could help with the funds for 1 test board each so both of you can do your stuff…

I think it would benefit the whole community.

Let me hear your thoughts

1 Like

Diebiems blows. Discharge bms blows. Sorry fanbois, but this thing is fucking huge, takes up way too much real estate in the enclosure, has little to no real documentation, minimal product support, and is glitchy at best.

This is just my experience, but after reading how goddamned glorious this thing was and then getting it and trying it, I basically gave mine away.

Diebiems is esk8 history. Move on.

3 Likes

What would be your bms go to substitute, considering charge only bms for 12s?

@glyphiks

Wow that would be awesome !
I PM’ed @Sam months ago for it, but he didn’t have any board left (even partly faulty).

If DieBieMS is history, what’s the present now, in term of BMS with the same features ?

BTW did you throw it away ? Is it still partially working ?

I had 2, they are both gone. Sold for beer money.

@EreTroN i can’t recommend any on board BMS to you, There isn’t one out there that I think is up to task. I’m using a balance charger for the time being.

1 Like

Oh, sorry to hear that…
My only one is serving into a commute board, always in Eco mode.
Can’t tell I put some stress on them but still I’m surprised they both blew !
Did you set them up at a high current ?

1 Like

No, I ruined one just trying to get it to work (snapped the usb connector off and blew a resistor), got the second one working but then the flipsky piece of shit esc cooked itself and I parted out the whole build.

I just don’t like discharge bms. I think they are dangerous and to be effective they need to be enormous.

Ok, so nothing to do with discharge or not. You just dislike discharge BMS.
So, maybe this isn’t fair to throw the whole product in the trash, is it ?

I totally agree with the fact it has to be handle carefully. without any insulation on it, you can easily short something by letting a wire fall down on the PCB.

2 Likes

If you are happy with a component being able to cut your power when you need it most, good luck to you. Discharge bms are dangerous.

Dear all! Sorry to have been absent for so freaking long, yes a lot of my work / effort is going into BMS development for an efoil company indeed, that is what pays most of my bills! Although that pays the bills about 70% of it will be useful for the current BMS but also for the upcoming BMS.

Last couple of months has been very intense on firmware development, and I expect that at least another month is needed to finish it off. Then ill be focusing on BMS hardware again and implement some chips that I am currently attempting to obtain datasheets and parts for (they are that new xD ). This new hardware will be significantly smaller and also somewhat cheaper, and again of course fully opensource!

Sorry again for being absent… Its just that the ones who pay for my food gets most of my attention and I would like to keep this project and information free for everybody!

16 Likes

This is exactly why I chose the DieBieMS : it can talk to the VESC and soft cutoff instead off purely switching off the power line, like any other BMS.
For this, a handful a lines of code is needed. Just only a few. That’s why I’m so disapointed that the project came asleep although it had a huge potential.

5 Likes

I pinky promise to wake the project up again! Can you when you think the time is ripe, help me implement gracefull current reduction by the VESC firmware? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :relaxed:?

6 Likes

A great feature to be sure. But it’s still huge :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Then don’t trash a product if you don’t know how to use it. Stick to simple stuff.

3 Likes

Wow great to hear from you @JTAG

I can’t wait for the updates from your side.

I know how to use it now that I trawled forums and asked questions to other users and figured it out by trial and error.

I’m trashing the product because it is unnecessary. The VESC is the component that should be controlling the power. I understand that it may be necessary for there to be an intermediate between the VESC and the battery, but this intermediate should only need to read information from the battery and pass it on. And balance the cells.

In my mind, when using VESC, there should be no need for a discharge BMS. The VESC should have the capability to take information from a charge only, CAN connected BMS and act accordingly.

This is where proper documentation would come in really fucking handy.

3 Likes