DieBieMS Troubleshooting

Sorry, I didn’t realize the 5V was not coming from an onboard regulator or something and had the VESC unplugged from the CAN port. With the VESC plugged in I am seeing 5.19V

That should be perfect. Can you also ohm out whether all canH are together and canL are together?

Yea, no connection issues there. VESCs can see each other without issues.

Did you also check the pin 6 and 7 can lines to the vesc’s?

Yea, no connection issues there either. Is there any way to test the microcontroller <—> ISO1050 communication? I’m wondering if I killed the MCU pins somehow.

Well, I just made this way harder for myself. Plugged in my charger with the the polarity flipped and the DBMS shut off and is not coming back. Is this a documented failure mode that has a fix, or am I screwed? Thanks for any tips.

I have not been able to identify any visible damage to components.

1 Like

Some more details:

-I had the polarity flipped around on my charge connector. When I plugged it in there was a spark at the plug and may have been some action on the PCB, but I was not able to say for sure. The DieBieMS was on when I plugged in the charger.

-I am no longer getting any life out of the DBMS while running off battery power (I have not attempted to plug in the charger again, even with the correct polarity.

-DBMS Tool connects to the board but is not able to talk to it. I don’t believe IC1 (STM32F303CCT6) is getting any power, much less the power switching circuit

-My 12S Lipo battery appears unscathed with the same voltages per cell as I started with (not surprising)

-Still can’t find any visible issues with the PCB beyond a slight variation in what I believe is the conformal coating on the 3V3 regulator (IC3, LM5165Y). This could have been caused by something getting cooked. Would I get any life (power button LED, etc) without this regulator?

Does the DBMS have any reverse polarity protection on its charge port?

That escalated quickly :sweat_smile:. With the battery to the PACK+ and PACK- and USB connected, does the power LED still turn on?

Yea, not proud of myself… No LEDs anywhere. The USB IC seems to show up (probably getting 5V over USB VBUS). Thanks for your PM and your insights.

Got an issue today, DieBieMs v.0.9 works fine and after assembly just stops turning on, charging with no issue but that is all, switch is blinking on charging. Any ideas what it could be ? No sparks, no burns, nothing, just stops working.

Question for anyone still tuning into this thread. One of my NTC wires dislodged making my average battery temp according to the DieBieMS jump up to 200C (392F). I had thought one of the safety features would kick in and turn the board off, but nothing happened.

My max temps are set at around 80C. Do I need to adjust any of the board settings to ensure the BMS shuts down if itself or the battery NTCs goes over the set maximums?

1 Like