Designing an all in one carbon fibre deck for a large pack

Hi everyone,
(I am new to posting on forums in general so please go easy on me!)
My friend and I want to design a carbon fibre deck on CAD that can house at least:
A 10s6p 18650 flat pack
A flipsky 6.6 (the largest that I know, just as a reference)
A bms
And all the wiring
Also, I want to design it so that it can fit maybe 50 21700 cells.
If anyone have the dimensions of a similar build, please comment below, it will help me so much!
The reason that I want to make it carbon fibre is the durability and I just love the look of CF :grin:
Also I want to design it so that it can be completely sealed from water once I put the griptape on top.
Let me know if there are any potential problems!
Peace out :v:

3 Likes

You can get all the measurements to for the cells, ESC, bms of your choice and trucks, so you can design them in CAD, and then start designing the deck around them. However something to keep in mind is that it will end up pretty long with a single stack 10S6P battery.

3 Likes

That’s gonna be a huuuge board! Best bet would be to double stack everything.

1 Like

True, maybe 10s5p is enough

I thought about double stacking it, but just worried about the deck looking too bulky

You basically get all the components individually as cad files and create an assembly as you would do in real life. Then you can decide the dimensions of the board from that.

1 Like

Double stacked hummie decks still look sleek. And that’s enough room for 12s8p i think.

1 Like

Isn’t one of these dumbasses getting a 13s10p in there?

6 Likes

Yeah but he cut it up and idk what he’s doing for an enclosure

Dam! That would be freaking insane :open_mouth:

Good shout, we will be working on it haha

Personally im shooting for a near 100cell build. Like many others i know. I Feel like 12s7p would be settling. 12s8p I’d be happy. 12s10p I’d be set.

1 Like

I’m not trying to be a smartass - I really don’t know, but is grip tape watertight? If not I don’t see how that can be the last step in the waterproofing.

3 Likes

Yeah I was going to say something about that too.
Not to mention replacing grip tape every time you need to check on components sounds terrible.

2 Likes

Experts in composites will tell you that you can’t make them watertight. Plan on layers of protection from water. I think @b264 traded in a dog sled for his first esk8. You might want to look at some of his posts about waterproofing.

2 Likes

Silicone plus griptape? Would that be sufficient?

That is true, I will definitely look into it. English weather is too inconvenient sometimes

If you plan on spending a lot of time riding in the rain the carbon deck will eventually ooze some water through. The cool look comes from 0/90 cloth with a large weave - the lowest cost form of carbon fibres that are practical and useful. The fibers are not packed tightly enough together to form a seal against moisture penetration, especially at the intersections of the weave, as you can see without magnification. Over time the epoxy will microcrack enough to allow moisture to pass. You can put a film like Tedlar on the outside, but old timers say that just traps the moisture in once it gets in. This has been a problem for aircraft on carriers for decades. Moisture penetration into composite and even aluminum sandwich panels. They finally settled on using core inside the sandwich that can get wet.

3 Likes

It should be fine if it is like the evolve carbon deck right?

I’ve never seen one other than in pictures. I don’t know how it is made.

1 Like