Duck Battery Systems - 12S4P FlexPCB Build Guide

Instructions unclear. Accidentally turned myself into @hyperion1

Also anyone wanna do the honors of posting reliable links and sources for all the materials? I at work :frowning:

5 Likes

This is 100% the kind of content we need more of here. Awesome job.

15 Likes

Uuuhhhggggggg fiiiiiinnnnneeeee

2 Likes

You are saying all that has been done before that was shitposting?

@BenjaminF

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

4 Likes

That pcb looks like its shaped to fit in an older 18650 based Kaly. I just replaced all the cells in one a couple hours ago, so its fresh on my mind.

6 Likes

It’s based on the battery design I did for the TB40 deck. Exact dimensions are listed on the product page.

I never had one of the old Kaly 18650 enclosures, but:

I do have a FlexPCB that works in his 2.0 coming:

13 Likes

… And the file to the 18650 holder please :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Needy bastards, all of you!

7 Likes

We should have a thread of the year. I’d like to nominate this for something

It almost takes the stupid out of battery building

7 Likes

I edited it with links to what I used. These are mostly US based links, and might not be the best or cheapest, but they worked for me.

As noted in the post, I remixed @Lee_Wright’s glue guide as his was just a tad too small. I’ll try to remember to post the .STL later, I’m not home until Monday.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I’m sure all of us noobs appreciate you :kissing_heart:

I think I have the stl saved somewhere so I’ll post it if you don’t beat me to it

4 Likes

I’ll get it thrown into the 3D sandbox + a full 3d model of the assembled battery for folks by Monday.

9 Likes

This is all the awesomes. Thanks for the write up @BenjaminF! Also great design @DerelictRobot. Will be using this when I finally get sick and tired of my commuter board and decide to nut up and build a decent nummie rig.

3 Likes

So how does a Bms come into play? And are there only some that work with these?

Is there one of these for 21700 cells?

Does it limit the available output current out of the pack?

3 Likes

Would it be possible to make a version without such large gaps between the cells? Quite a shame that this method comes with the size tradeoff.

2 Likes

You can wire in whatever BMS you want. There’s a 13 pin header that exposes B0- through B12+ and 2x M5 slug terminals for the main battery leads.

Very soon:

No, because the PCB copper isn’t supposed to carry any of the main current; it’s mostly for structural + balance cable organization. Nickel is overlapped so that it carries the current directly between P-groups.

Totally. It becomes a brick pack at a certain point though and you lose any flexibility whatsoever- which might not be a bad thing for most builds. The 12S4P model see here is based on the one I did with @torqueboards for the TB40 deck.

Is there interest in a 10S/12S, more compact version? I can always do a small run of 10 PCBs if there’s some interest.

PS: I am waiting on some more inventory to arrive but I’ll be putting together $5 cable/connector kits to go with these so that people can get 95% of whats needed to build these and just add solder/fishpaper.

14 Likes
  • I’m interested in a more compact 10s version!
  • I’m interested in a more compact 12s version!
  • These ones work fine for me!
  • Not interested at the moment

0 voters

:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Okay scratch that- I went and updated the remaining inventory I have of these kits today to expand out what comes with them- I was going to make this a separate add-on kit but I’ve decided to just include it in the base kit to make it a bit more comprehensive. Price remains the same.

Kit Includes:

• 12S4P FlexPCB
  • 25x 4p-18650 Pure Nickel p-group tabs.
  • 48x Fishpaper Rings
  • 2x M5 Bush Terminal (175A rated)
  • 13-pin RA JST Header (Balance connector)
  • 2x M5 10-12awg Ring Terminals (100A)
  • 2x M5 14-18awg Ring Terminals (Balance)
  • 2x M5x10mm Socket Head Bolt & Split Washer
  • Amass XT-60 Female Connector
  • 2x 150mm 12awg Silicone Stranded Cable
  • 4x 150mmx10x0.2mm Nickel Strip
  • 200x200mm Adhesive Backed Fishpaper Sheet

This should now include everything needed to build out the battery minus cells, silicone, solder, & BMS.

Heads up: After today’s sales I have 4 of these 12S4P kits left, but have a PCB shipment coming due in 7-10 days that will replenish those.

18 Likes

You sir are a gentleman. I appreciate that :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Possible to use this PCB board work with 26650 cells for a 12s3p pack?

1 Like