Defiant Board Society | who we are and what we're doing

Wanted to jump in and do the “my board has been great, no issues here…” thing, but did have to send my board back; not due to the deck issue (knock on wood), one of the motors went on strike. No drama when it happened; just noticed it needed full throttle coming out of a slow turn and it only rolled up 22 mph or so. On the bench, only one side making noise…

Emailed through the customer support page and got a response the next day (the “real time chat”, isn’t). Damon sent an RMA; boxed it up and fought with Fedex to find a place to accept it (“Fedex customer support”, isn’t). Damon worked on the board through the weekend before Christmas and shipped it out Tuesday - back in the garage Thursday. Actually took less time to fix it and ship it back than it took for it to get back to Florida - but that is a whine for another time…

Sucked that it broke, but machines fail - had a bad motor, got a new motor - no complaints on how it was handled; with the timing rolling into the holiday, very thankful (and impressed) with the quick turnaround. Always risky when you are dependent on others to get “your” product out the door; you can do (or try to anyway) your best and things can still blow up. At least from my perspective, the team is doing the right things and working to make things right as best they can, with what they have to work with.

Board is back and running like it should (with no cracks or delams) and is still worth the price of admission (to me). Hope things settle down and they can catch up - it is a really good board.

11 Likes

Ok damon

@longhairedboy Emailed me and offered a solution plus a rough timeline for a deck.

I’m willing to accept that as long as the arrival of the deck is resonable and its working… I suppose I’ll keep everyone posted in the coming days.

PS: I do genuinely think @longhairedboy is trying to make good and do the right thing here. I do have some gripes with @defiantboardsociety posting they have boards in stock & ready to ship when clearly they don’t. Also I have some gripes knowing there are boards possibly with manufacturing defects out there still being ridden. Like the above poster. I hope replacements are being offered to everyone even if they’re decks have been trouble free. Hopefully they’ve all been informed of possible defects and have been alerted to look out for them…

11 Likes

First of all thank you to Ozzi for emailing the support inbox with this thread so I can jump in- I’ve been heads down and appreciate the opportunity to jump in.

TLDR; we observed (and received reports) of deck delamination in additional manufacturing runs from our initial supplier, that bypassed our QA process because they were specific to a few decks and for some reason not the entire run. To be safe, we recalled all boards from the impacted run, honored every refund request or discount request for those that chose to wait, completely scrapped all deck inventory, and transitioned to a new supplier. To be clear, we stopped shipping boards in early spring and communicated with new orders the situation with the decks and when we expected the new decks to arrive. It was then up to the customer on whether or not they’d like to wait or opt for a refund. We in no way exaggerated timelines we were given but communicated where we were at in the process and timelines we received from our new supplier, which ended up taking a lot longer than anticipated. For early customers this has been an extremely frustrating process, and we’ve honored every discount/refund request and are so lucky to have their support today.

Unfortunately, we’ve been completely at the mercy of our new supplier in terms of shipping timelines.The transition itself took months to source, extensively meet with, and QA sample runs. But, we have a product and a new partner we’re very excited about. This entire process has been a kick in the dick and honestly made us question whether we should keep going. We initially chose our first deck supplier because they were based in America and deeply regret that decision. We paid to have all of the decks for outstanding orders air freighted from the new supplier, and have a tracking number that indicates they’ll arrive sometime this week. FedEx actually told us it was out for delivery today but as you can see I’m holding my breath.The rest of the decks are inbound via sea. Once they arrive we’ll need another week to QA and complete assembly but we’re excited to finally be able to fulfill outstanding orders as well as deck related warranty claims.

Re: marketing, we’re a small team and use AI to generate captions which is why it might seem like spam. We’re doing our best to compete with the big boys on the shoestring budget we have. Pre-orders have really saved us during this time and we’re extremely grateful for all of our customers that have opted to wait. The wait should be over this week.

8 Likes

before i forget

inconsistent imfo

1 Like

giphy

Sounding an awful lot like Jeremy Bogan

Given the failure of the previous decks, you should probably share what steps you’ll take to make sure these new decks will be safe and ready to sell. Especially if only a week of testing is planned.

6 Likes

You’re Welcome, though it really shouldnt have gotten to that, early adopters and supporters deserve more respect than whats been documented above but hay, its not our mistakes that define us but how we sort it out and move forward.

I hope for all that this is what happens and there’ll be no need for these types of things

Looking forward to seeing this work out for everyone

9 Likes

The first part of our deck order just showed up. We start shipping boards again in 2 days. We have more than enough now to ship the back orders and honor our deck related warranty claims. The rest of our inventory should arrive on pallets in a few weeks.

12 Likes

It’s here! I need to find a way to get rid of the dead zone on the Hoyt puck.

7 Likes

Prolly just update it to the new linear firmware and maybe play with the throttle curve

4 Likes

It’s the vesc with the dead zone, not the puck. Technically the puck has zero dead zone.

App> ppm> mapping> set dead zone to 5%. I also recommend setting pos ramp time to zero.

Then also upgrade the firmware on your puck.

5 Likes

Ok im not gonna lie the dark version looks pretty damn good maybe i just like capybaras thoe :joy: :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

Same here. Black is much nicer IMHO.

1 Like

Can you point me in the the right direction on how to update my puck? Thanks!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Anyone want to share how the new decks are performing? I know it’s a bit soon. First impressions maybe?

The new deck rides quite well. Flexible but not too flexible. For my 175lb weight it is pretty much perfect. There is some torsional flex which you can feel at speeds over 20mph however I did not feel any weird tracking issues. I think this is in part due to the long deck.

1 Like

Still too cold and wintery for me to ride yet. I did one short around the corner ride and everything seems okay. Definitely a bit stiffer than the original deck. But hesitant to give any real feedback till i get some real mileage.