Deck truck holes failure analysis

Been riding my most recent build for what I’m guessing is close to a 1000 miles. Since then the main changes have been to a Flipsky 4.20 dual, Riptide pivot cups and bushings, and genuine Paris truck baseplates.

The other day I noticed that my front baseplate was a little loose, as in the entire baseplate had some play on it. Thinking that perhaps my truck screws had just loosened a little over time, I removed the baseplates and this is what I saw.

Went to check the back and… holy shit.

I’ve been riding this death trap for God knows how long.
My main question is, how did this happen, and how can this be prevented? My main theory right now is that since the truck hanger is a Paris clone, there was still some slop in the lateral play of the truck due to the imperfect pivot cup sizing. Whenever I hit a bump or pothole with one wheel, I’m guessing that the lateral forces were turned into a torque force with the pivot around the baseplates. This would apply a significant lateral force to the truck holes every time, and eventually, caused the holes to widen and get worse.

This is my theory for now, let me know if you have seen this happen anywhere else, and if you have any other theories.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Glad you caught it before it failed completely! Did the board get wet often?

2 Likes

from the pics i would assume that too, and maybe the combination of too tight screws

Those are thin areas of material that take a lot of load.

I had this happen to me with a moose deck

Not sure what kind of deck you’re running. I’m avoiding anything made of pressed plywood and look at fiberglass reinforced options. I also laid up extra fiberglass for strength and filled the drop through holes when I top mounted on this most recent deck.

For esk8, those drop through nose and tails scare me a little because the surrounding material around the bolts is so thin.

Good thing you found it before it hurt you

4 Likes

This is my biggest worry with my 35" switchblade build… And they don’t make them anymore :pensive:

1 Like

Reinforce it with something

You know, preventative maintenance.

1 Like

I only weight like 135lbs, I should be ok.

2 Likes

I had a drop through deck from Skateshred. It did get wet sometimes, but I generally avoid riding in rain. It’s been getting wet recently however due to the slush/ snow on the ground here.

In terms of preventative measures, I did have a custom made 1/4" thick aluminum piece on the bottom very similar to this by Riptide sports. Personally though, I don’t think it helped in the above scenario.

2 Likes

Stress concentrations are to high in those areas, the wall thicknesses are minimal due to the necessity of fitting a base plate through. Riptide sells these, Something of this nature will probably help to distribute the load a bit more into the surrounding deck space and prevent this from happening in the future. Based on your build, I think you have access to a CNC. Might be a bit of a pain to mill something this thin, waterjet is probably preferable, but you could design your own and integrate light mounts or something into it.

1 Like

Do you have a picture of it when was fully assembled? I would be interested in seeing how tight the hardware was

Deck looks like shit dude

2 Likes

That’s exactly like what I had on my board, I was inspired by the Riptide ones and cut them out of a waterjet before I ever assembled the board.

1 Like

I have photos in the build post I linked at top, but I don’t believe you’ll be able to see how tight the hardware is. I made sure that nothing was over tightened since there’s no need for it.

It’s winter. Lay up some fiberglass reinforcement. Or rout, lay aluminum supports and bury in FG :rofl:

Yes it does, I had white carbon fiber vinyl but that quickly peeled off and I just haven’t had the time to reapply/ just paint it with school going on and all.

Look at @akhlut’s X-things, you can also get thin metal protectors, Never Summer make them amongst others

3 Likes

im around 176lbs, mine lived 5 years riding in all weather conditions before the tail cracked off

2 Likes

You mean its not cute!?

2 Likes

It’s like the opposite of cute, it’s like the @Dareno of decks

5 Likes

Drunk on bath tub wine? Thats why it looks water logged.

2 Likes