Deck Swap Options for Meepo Hurricane

So long story short, I got hit by a car today. My deck is cracked all the way through right behind the front truck, and I’m looking for some options to fix my board. A new deck from Meepo would run me about 500$, which makes me want to consider other options. Hurricane 3K Carbon Fiber Deck. Another option would be repairing my deck myself using either fiberglass or carbon fiber, but I do not have experience doing either of these methods, and I’m not sure that I would trust the deck 100% again after being repaired. The third option would be replacing the deck with something else entirely. It would need to be a very stiff deck because of the battery, and of course have a similar sized enclosure. Do you guys have any recommendations?

1 Like

can you upload a photo of the break? It might be pretty easy to fix depending on the break.

also that deck price seems a bit insane. Is it for just a deck or is it for an entire new board?

1 Like

Yeah the deck is definitely super expensive, I’ll add some photos here.

Could maybe look into the Boundmotor Octopus deck/enclosure. I haven’t done any research into the compatibility with Hurricane parts, but I imagine the deck feel would be comparable.

Edit: could also be a good time to turn it into a Franken-DIY thing if you’re up for it.

2 Likes

It looks like the octopus deck is still about $400 with the bigger enclosure, I might be able to fit it with the smaller enclosure but I’m not sure if the hurricane battery will fit(enclosed in an aluminum box.) I think deck swapping it might be a fun learning experience, plus I get to try out a different deck type if I want to.

1 Like

The 12s4p is a super common battery size so there are plenty of deck options. You’ll want a pretty rigid deck because of the way the battery is built I’d assume

1 Like

Damn, if it wasn’t for that bend it would be a less than $20 fix unless you needed to buy some tools that I had already when I fixed a similar break

This was the fix I was going to propose but that can’t work due to not having the surface area for the lumbar tie to bolt onto:

I still have this deck and would be safe to use it IF I didn’t want to run an extension bracket so I can use a surf adapter. which might still be safe but I didn’t want to risk it

I do still think your deck can be fixed but it won’t be easy. If you did any part of the fix wrong it could end up unsafe, so I don’t feel comfortable trying to explain how to do it online. Even more so if you have no experience with epoxy resin since it is easy to mess up. Also without being able to see it irl or having fixed a similar deck before, I am even more hesitant to give advice on fixing it.

1 Like

Yeah if I’m going to repair the deck I think I would have to fill the crack with resin, and then layer more carbon or fiberglass layers on the outside.

I’m looking at some of tomiboi’s options right now, and it looks like there are a couple drop-deck options that would work nicely. They are both a lot cheaper than a new deck from Meepo, and I can ask him to make it extra stiff due to the battery.

2 Likes

Personally, I’d want to sand away some extra material from the outside on the top quarter or third of the deck and then add sheets of fiber glass on top of the entire section. On top of the repair of the crack itself.

I’d want to double check about the strength of using fiberglass instead of carbon fiber first though since it could require more bulk to be added to get enough strength back. It is easier and safer to build back up to support way more weight than you’ll ever need since that way you know for sure that it is safe. Also you’re not building a bridge so the extra time and money to make it too strong isn’t an issue. :rofl:

I’d offer to fix it myself but I know I’d take too long to fix it. Also I’d end up loosing money even if you payed for all the materials to fix it because I’m too tedious when it comes to my epoxy pours looking good. :weary:

1 Like

Hey thanks for the advice! I think I’m going to do a bit of research on repairing decks before I decide between repairing it and buying a new deck. Thankfully I have another board I can ride in the meantime, and I also have the parts for my first DIY coming in the next month, so it’s not the end of the world. Still definitely a bummer though.

1 Like

That deck is toast IMO. You could probably frankenstein a fix with a lot of work, but i’d never trust it.

500 for a complete deck/enclosure of that level of finish is a decent price, i feel like trying to transplant onto something else would be more hassle than it’s worth.

I’d only go down the route of using a different deck if I were planning on other drastic changes as well.

7 Likes

Have you reached out to Meepo? Sometimes manufacturers will give a discount for situations like this.

1 Like

I feel like they wouldn’t give a discount just because it didn’t break because of low quality or anything, it just got ran over. It wouldn’t hurt to ask though for sure. This is definitely not great timing haha, I just spent a ton on parts for my first DIY build.

+1 on Tomiboi decks. I love mine. It looks like he makes a single stack non-segmented enclosure which may work for you, you’d just need to check dimensions for your Meepo battery.

1 Like

Ive got a boundmotor octopus 12S8P kit, if OP wants it ill do like $300 and a bit for shipping.

1 Like

the hurricane battery is bigger than the compartment cutout for the boundmotor deck, so it won’t fit

i can get the hurricane deck for 330 if u really want, but shipping is gonna break bank

3 Likes

I was going to suggest this

Or the new Mboards CF deck, that thing has a huge enclosure

4 Likes

Hmmm. I wonder how well a $300 carbon fiber deck/enclosure would sell.

2 Likes

Hey thanks everyone for the help, I think I might just wait on repairing the deck until I have a bit more money saved up. Thanks for all the suggestions though for sure, I’ll figure it out eventually.

2 Likes

Quick update, I’ve fully disassembled and stripped down the deck, and I’m going to attempt repairing it with a LOT of sanding, epoxy, carbon fiber fabric, and patience. If at the end I test it and its strong enough to use, great! If its not strong enough to use, then I’ll just order a new deck and swap over all the parts.