Deaf's Enclosures Build Log

Gotta think of a good way to fix this issue

I run into it on builds too and it’s really annoying

1 Like

Then why would you share it?

2 Likes

This is a build log. I just want to share whats been going on. If I run into issues someone else is bound to run into the same issue.

The holes drilled for that enclosure were hand drilled. For the holes cut using the cnc machine because its more centered we didn’t run into the foam going around the bolt. We are going to be using rubber gasket instead of foam to also remove that issue.

Due to the increase cost of wood within the past year we decided to switch over to urethane molds with heat resistance filler to mold the enclosures. The urethane molds are honestly better over wood as it doesn’t expand or absorb moisture like wood does. Because of that it’s able to be used longer than wood for vacuuming forming. Basically the process consist of cutting out a positive out of MDF and then sealing it. Making a box around the mdf mold. Pouring silicone rubber in the box. removing the mdf mold and then pouring the liquid urethane in to harden. Basically what prop makers to make copies of toy swords and what not. Urethane is also easy to machine so any flashing or irregularities can be sanded and cut off super easily.

one of the issues we ran into is that the Kydex doesn’t completely form into the mold. We basically solved that by drilling small holes in the harder to reach areas of the mold.

Old medium enclosure design on the left. New one on the right. Before we learned about urethane molds we were machining out of hardwood and that was much harder to machine and get smooth compared to MDF. MDF comes off the cnc machine smooth so no post processing is needed for it.
o

Another issue we were running into was the kydex thinning out on the edges of the enclosures. We solved that by dialing in our heating settings so the kydex doesn’t stretch too much.

8 Likes

Really nice product!

2 Likes

I wonder if these guys are still making progress. Their website seems up and running and selling, so 🤷

Edit: scratch that, doesn’t appear you can actually purchase anything. But it’s slick

2 Likes

We are still working on it! Just one of many products we are working on. So progress has slowed down a bit since we started. Will post an update in about two weeks as thats the week we plan on being 100% done with the small enclosure.

4 Likes

You mean we can order a small enclosure in two weeks? I am looking for a small enclosure actually, would be perfect timing.

2 Likes

Thats the plan!

1 Like

We have a few enclosures made! We are going down the list for those who would like to buy and review later today. I will also add a few pictures of the enclosure here later today as well.

These arent product pictures so pardon the dust and what not on the enclosures. We plan on selling our “perfect” batch on our website, then our “imperfect” batch also on the website but with a special discount code that will be sent via email. Our imperfect batch will consist of slight inconsistency with the edge width and surface imperfections on the inside of the enclosures (the last two pictures are the imperfect batch). Ill explain more when the actual sales thread is up after the holidays. Current pricing is going to be $79.99 with free shipping and will be lower if purchasing from imperfect batch.

For the medium and large enclosures, those will be ready for sale mid January, end of January at the latest.

3 Likes

Might be interested in picking up a medium one. Would love to see some of those pics!

Edited the post above, with the update! If you plan on reviewing DM me and Ill get you sorted out.

@Deaf_Tech website looks like most stuff is out of stock - is this company done, or working on new stuff?

We are still working on our medium and large enclosures. They are still being tested and we are making adjustments to the mold.

4 Likes