Deaf's Enclosures Build Log

Hello everyone,

We are releasing universal enclosures. All enclosures will be made in-house in Virginia, USA. We will use industrial machines to manufacture precise and accurate enclosures made of Kydex. Kydex is a durable, flexible, and customizable material. It is used to make aircraft bulkheads and holsters. We believe Kydex will replace ABS. Initially we will offer our enclosures in black but eventually expand our inventory to red, blue, green, etc.

Now to the nitty gritty. We plan on releasing three double stacked enclosures. All enclosures will be 0.08 inches thick and will have a slight radial arch. Designs are subject to change.

1. Small enclosure: Fits a 18650 10s2p battery and a dual 4.20 fesc or unity. This enclosure can be used for a multitude of small boards. Perfect for dinghys and cruisers. Outside dimensions: 11.75”L x 7.9”W x 1.8”H

1. Medium enclosure: Fits a 12s4p and dual 6.6 fesc or unity. This is for the shorter wheelbase longboards. Popular boards that this can fit are Loaded Tesseract, Poke, Landyatchz Ripper, and Cheese Grater. Outside dimensions: 18.4”L x 8.2”W x 1.8”H

1. Large enclosure: Fits a 12s6p with dual 6.6 fesc or unity. Enclosure can fit most longboards with wheelbases 25+. Boards like Landyachtz Switchblade, Battle Axe or Zenith AB Maze. Outside dimensions: 25”L x 8.7”W x 1.8”H

18 Likes

Along with ESC’s this has been a missing product segment of our market. And I’m a big fan of cruiser builds so the small one is especially cool to see.

Also, not to jump the gun on you, but in the future will you be open to custom spec enclosures?

4 Likes

I really like the small enclosure shape!

2 Likes

Yes, we do plan on making customs, but we are still planning cost in terms of man hours, material used, etc. Its definitely on the table.

1 Like

Awesome, I’ll stay tuned. Best of luck getting everything going!

2 Likes

Im assuming you guys will be doing them through vacuum molding. Will you also be supplying extras like gasket sealing, or threaded inserts?

2 Likes

Initially no. We do have plans to expand to start selling additional accessories.

1 Like

These look pretty good. Do these have a concave shape to them or are they expected to just bend to the curvature of the deck? This kind of goes with @Jujo 's comment, which the gasket would help with, but just throwing a gasket on it doesn’t always work if the curvature is too severe.

Any idea what kind of prices you’re looking for yet? Where’d you find such big sheets of kydex lol asking for a friend…

1 Like

They have a radial curve. The properties of Kydex allows it to bend without cracking. Typical weather strips can work. We are looking into pricing now, is there a range you would like?

We are not disclosing exacts of our supply chain at this moment.

1 Like

Lol fair enough, it was worth a shot. I’ve gotten 12x12 pieces of kydex from Amazon and Ebay before but finding bigger than that was challenging for a reasonable price.

I’ve made a few enclosures out of Kydex and one on my friend’s board didn’t survive a deck swap because of the change in curvature. After some riding, it ended up cracking. Good to know you’ll have a radius on it.

As for pricing? Depends on how much you value your time I guess. I probably wouldn’t buy any enclosure more than $50 personally before I made it myself to save money. Obviously not everyone is like that though, and the sleek design will draw people too. Hard to get that quality without vacuum forming. Have you seen Eboosted’s enclosures? He’s got some amazing designs

2 Likes

can the large enclosure fit 21700 12s6p?

1 Like

Yes, Double stacked.

1 Like

Long pieces of kydex are hard to find esp for a goood price. I’ve considered ordering some 4x8 sheets of it but shipping is a bitch esp to Canada. Kydex is way better Imo and kydex holster grommets are the perfect size for an m4 bolt.

Having predrilled and grometted holes would definitely make these more appealing Imo as well as customs.

4 Likes

We are looking into predrilling holes, however we need to figure out the manufacturing processes because we are making them in house. Also everyone has different needs for holes so that complicates things further. Initially we will not predrill holes, however we plan to add that feature along with hardware in the near future. We are committed to creating quality enclosures, so that will be our initial focus.

1 Like

If the enclosure wasn’t a great fit you could just heat it up and form it to the deck right?

1 Like

We provide 3 different sizes so hopefully you should not run into this problem. We advise against making such modifications to the enclosure as it may compromise the integrity of the enclosure.

1 Like

Lol first enclosures I ever made where BBQ’d Kydex hand molded on a chunk of polystyrene. So yeah heatgun and a bit of patience. Way easier than abs Imo.

2 Likes

Wow, you guys have one of the most friendly sites I’ve ever seen in esk8 existence. Really interested in all three enclosures

4 Likes

New endmills came in! CNC and other machinery should be in the coming week.

8 Likes

Why do I want to eat it?

9 Likes