DAVEGA X Updates

Haha…I feel like an idiot. Yeah, that is the correct address

I spent some time looking into this today. I first added a new setting that enables more verbose on-display logging. The idea was that you would then enable the setting and send me the logs. However, when I did this, things actually stopped working and I was getting the same behavior that you’re having, i.e. DAVEGA does discover the BMS but then it fails to connect to it. It turns out that it fails to discover one of the two critical services/characteristics advertised by the BMS. I still don’t know why exactly this happens.

I came to the conclusion that the problem could be that I’m doing too much logging in an IRQ handler. So I removed the logging and released the code as v5.05rc3. Please try installing that one and see if it’s any better.

Also, note that the BMS only allows a single device to be connected. So before you try to connect the DAVEGA to it, make sure no other device is connected. The blue LED on the BT module must be off.

2 Likes

Awesome, I appreciate the help! I’ll try this when I get home tonight. I am aware of the one device at a time. Thank you! I will let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

Tried a few times…same issue happening

It’s actually restarting. Looking through my records, your DAVEGA order is from June 14, 2021, so I believe you have the hw v1.1, which is powered from 3.3V and is more susceptible to restarting under high load conditions (when BT is used). That may be a part of the issue. It would probably work better with the newer hw v1.2. Do you happen to have anyone with a newer DAVEGA around? It would be good if you could test that one and then possibly order the newer electronics (https://shop.davega.eu/?product=davega-x-electronics) if it does work.

3 Likes

I see. I was curious if it was something like that. I don’t know anyone with a Davega. Ok, well I guess it is what it is, unless I get some new hardware. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

I’m gonna make an order and I’m thinking about getting a Davega X kit. Are there any current discount codes? :pray:

1 Like

looking for some advice! bought a secondhand davega and it seems to be an older model (says V1.1?). connectors for the buttons aren’t soldered. do you guys think I can get away with wrapping the wires around the button connectors, or should I solder them together?

Definitely solder

8 Likes

màaaaaàaaàaaaaaaaan

never wanted to solder anything in my life but esk8 had forced me to :sob:

1 Like

Wow, that kit must be like a hundred years old. You should keep it as a rare collector item. :slight_smile:

It’s easy to solder the wires on the buttons. Make sure to pre-tin both ends and use a little bit of flux. You’ll want to avoid putting too much heat on the button else the plastic filling will melt and that may damage the button.

Also note that you can always order new buttons from the eshop that come with pre-soldered connectors.

8 Likes

Pre-soldered? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Haha yeah you’re in the wrong hobby if you don’t wanna solder!

9 Likes

Lol for real, I’ve probably spent as much time soldering doing batteries as anything else in the hobby

2 Likes

I had 3 buttons sitting in my drawer for like a year that I just got rid of while cleaning up shop. fuck

1 Like

I’m having the same issue, it finds the llt bms mac address tries to connect (blue led comes on) and fails, each time it tries to connect it flashes white screen and reboots doing the same thing over and over.

I just bought this new it has hardware 1.2.1 and I’ve upgraded to firmware 5.05rc3 as the default 5.02 was doing the same thing. I’ve unlinked the BMS in the android app so there’s nothing connected.

I’m going to spend some more time on the BT soon since I want to look into supporting the Daly BMS as well. Hopefully I can make the communication a bit more robust.

Note that there’s a good reason for keeping the BT functionality under “Experimental”. While it does work correctly with some LLT BMS types and some customers use the functionality to their advantage, there’s no guarantee it will work correctly in a general case. It clearly needs more work and I’m not even sure it’s feasible to get it working reliably with the current platform. The BT functionality consumes a lot of RAM, which is a scarce resource for micropython running on an ESP32 with no extra SPI memory, and there’s only so much one can optimize. I will do my best to bring some improvements but please keep the expectations low. Originally there was no intention to use the BT on DAVEGA at all. The recommended way of using it with a smart BMS is still to use one that connects to the VESC via CAN BUS, such as Ennoid, FlexiBMS or DieBieMS. Those setups have been well tested and work reliably.

3 Likes

No worries, thanks.
It’s not really that important as I can just use my phone, just weird how it works on some but not others.
Mate of mine has the same bms and his davega connects. I wonder if it’s the bluetooth module with the bms that is the issue?
I have not tried connecting my davega to his bms yet though.

That would actually be a good test. Please do give that a try when you have a chance.

Sharing some findings by @me_ashman wrt LLT BMS compatibility. It turns out some BT modules do work with DAVEGA but some don’t.

10 Likes