DAVEGA X Updates

That sounds like a nice one. Does that mean for short trips where it doesn’t have enough current data to be accurate it relies on previous uses or am I reading it wrong?

Edit: video clears it up, that is very nice

5 Likes

And with the v4.08 finally being officially released there’s time for new feature work. I just put together something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time.

Initializing the VESC communication is a bit weird in discovering all the VESCs on the CAN bus. They all acknowledge their presence to the master VESC after start up. However, there’s no way to get the list of their CAN IDs from the master VESC. It will merely tell you how many VESCs there are. You need to scan the CAN yourself to discover the IDs. The scan is a bit slow and takes 2-3 seconds.

In v4.09rc1, DAVEGA stores the last seen CAN IDs in the flash memory so that the scan is not necessary. This effectively shaves off 2-3 seconds from the start up time (first boot up after the firmware update will still be slow but since the second boot up it will be starting up much quicker).

You may ask what happens if you add more VESCs on the CAN bus. Won’t they be missed because of the cache? They won’t because DAVEGA still polls the master VESC for the total VESC count and if it doesn’t match the number of cached CAN IDs, it will invalidate the cache and scan the CAN.

15 Likes

Wow, great job @janpom

By the way can you show me another BMS I can use for the DAVEGA X

Out of Stock in your Website

Ennoid is currently probably the only one you can buy. Flexi is out of stock and I’m not sure if there are sources for the DieBieMS anymore.

2 Likes

Why is the ennoid so prohibitively expensive :sob:

LTT works if you have a METR right?

1 Like

It works only in Metr. Not in DAVEGA. We briefly discussed the possibility of Metr forwarding the LLT info to DAVEGA with Roman but there are challenges at the Metr side. Also the solution would be rather clunky since the data flow is nuts:

LLT —(bluetooth)—> Metr app —(bluetooth)—> Metr module —(CAN)—> VESC —(UART)—> DAVEGA

It’s like playing Chinese whisper. :laughing:

At some point, I may migrate the DAVEGA firmware to the latest version of micropython that has a bluetooth support. Then DAVEGA would be able to connect to LLT directly.

11 Likes

6 Likes

Bro do it, there are so many people running LLTs, me included. :smiley:

6 Likes

But we still get voltage and stuff right?

You get voltage from the VESC. If the “stuff” is something that can be obtained from the VESC you most likely get it too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well with your current software we can choose where to source the voltage from, either flexi or VESC for example.

That’s correct but if you have LLT then you can only get the voltage from VESC.

4 Likes

But if you have metr you can choose to get it from there, right?

Metr pulls cell level voltages from LLT

I think it will only connect to 1 device at a time over BT

1 Like

DaVega you mean?
Oh you probably mean LLT

No. Currently there’s no way for DAVEGA to get any data from the LLT.

The option for selecting the voltage source is always available but if you set it to “BMS” and there’s no BMS available to get the voltage from, it will get the voltage from VESC.

2 Likes

Ah okay gotcha

@janpom Hi pal what’s the latest on when your monitors will be available again

1 Like

Hopefully next week. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

What’s " LLT " ??

1 Like