DAVEGA X Updates

Landscape mode getting at least a little love. @rpasichnyk (Tagging all users. :laughing:)

10 Likes

v4.8rc4 is out

This should be the last pre-release before v4.8 unless bug fixes are needed. Anyone is very welcome to install the pre-release and report any unexpected behavior. Make sure to do a data backup first.

New features:

• ENNOID BMS supported
  • cell voltages displayed for up to 24S
  • range ramp up
  • lifetime max speed can be reset

Bug fixes:

• odometer not saved upon stopping (!)
  • fixes/improvements to the landscape mode view
  • updating config from Metr CAN with empty wifi settings

Minor changes:

• battery capacity settings: step changed from 1 mAh to 50 mAh
  • session mAh in/out changed to Ah and values above 9999 mAh can now be displayed
  • support for the DAVEGA HW v1.3 (won’t go public) and v1.4 (forthcoming)
    • (minor HW improvements only for robustness and easier manufacturing)
7 Likes

@janpom any plans to add support for internal or external GPS or hall sensor speed inputs? My buddy with an ebike really wanted a Davega, but his plans changed from a hub motor to a mid-drive, and now he doesn’t see what use the Davega will give to him other than voltage readings (because so much of the data is based on distance traveled and speed, which the gear-changing on his bike will affect independent of his motor spinning).

Any love for ebikes planned?

4 Likes

Sounds like a regular bike speedometer that uses a sensor at the front wheel would be better suited then.

1 Like

With the current features/abilities of the Davega, yes, that would be better suited for a mid-drive ebike. But a regular bike speedometer is not a Davega :wink: We want them fancy features, and we also want to support Jan and the cool shit he is doing.

2 Likes

I would really like to expand to the ebike / escooter market. I believe the DAVEGA hardware should be changed for that purpose though and use a smaller display at the very least since the current footprint seems a bit too much for mounting on handlebars. The first step is to get rid of the dependency on ESP32 development boards, which is already underway.

Then adding something for speed input would make a lot of sense. In fact, it’s probably mandatory for the ebike use case. This definitely won’t happen overnight.

In the meantime, maybe the Metr-DAVEGA integration could be leveraged. GPS module can be connected to Metr CAN and since we have the Metr-VESC-DAVEGA communication sorted out, DAVEGA could potentially be getting the speed / distance data from Metr. @rpasichnyk, can we do that?

10 Likes

I personally disagree with this. I think the screen size as it currently is is perfect for ebikes. The massively popular LunaCycle/Bafang BBSHD mid-drive kit comes with a handlebar display that is much larger than the davega (and maybe one tenth as useful :wink: ). That’s my preference though, others may have a different take.

For the uneducated such as myself, what does this hardware change mean for the experience of the end user?

That would be super duper cool. For those of us who are contractually bound to FreeSK8 gear, do you see any possibility of a Robogotchi/GPS integration? :smiley:

1 Like

I tried several times to ask him make a version for bafang, I want it for my ebike to :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with MrDrunk… I bike with my phone as a dash, its much larger than a davga. Is there any feasible way to add speed sensor to the current hardware? Something low tech? There is plenty of demand in ebikes even with current form factor.

People with e-dirt bikes could mount it to the “fuel tank” and size would not be an issue.

The new firmware features are awesome and make even more desirable for ebikes. 24s!

Was checking out the ENNOID BMS, it has humitity sensor, any chance that data could be displayed on the davega? Would be so awesome to know if water had got in your enclosure.

1 Like

This. Unfortunately for DAVEGA but true. A lot of people have a phone mount and DAVEGA will be a hard sell I think.

Sure we can do it. There is already command for that available, you can get GPS data via CAN if you want. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very little. The electronics should be slightly thinner and potentially allow for a more compact housing going forward. The input voltage will be changed from 3.3V to 5V, which should ensure more stable performance (e.g. make the DAVEGA less susceptible to occasional restarts when you hit a bump).

Other than that, the design change is mainly to transition from the current hobby-level design to a pro-level design (this was done by an electronics professional) and to do the PCB assembly by the standard SMD PnP process rather than by hand soldering.

I would be happy to work with you guys. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work for two UART devices, so either DAVEGA or Robogotchi will need to have CAN until any integration is possible.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think you’re right. A phone with Metr, FreeSK8, or even just the VESC app would be a better user experience and much easier to install.

Would DAVEGA have any advantage over a phone? (Other than you can have it with a very sexy purple anodized aluminum case. :slight_smile:)

Cool! Though I admit I lost some of my enthusiasm after realizing most ebikers would just go with a phone. Still, I’m curious how that works and what the possibilities are. I’ll PM you for details. Thanks.

That would be nice indeed. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the idea. :+1:

3 Likes

cough cough @skate420 @DerelictRobot cough cough

2 Likes

List of advantages that an ebike-ready Davega has over a phone:

1. It’s hard-mounted to the frame/handlebars, rather than relying on the grip strength of a phone mount :grimacing:
  2. It’s display is laid out really well for readability at speed.
  3. It has super smart and fancy range calculations that are actually based on measured consumption data, rather than just voltages plotted on a linear graph (which is how most “dumb” voltage displays are).
  4. It tracks a lot of useful metrics that a phone with Metr, FreeSK8, or the VESC app do not, such as mAh charged/discharged, Wh charged/discharged, etc.
  5. It tracks lifetime data.
  6. It tracks part lifespans/mileage.
  7. It comes in a very sexy purple anodized aluminum case.
  8. And much more that is not immediately coming to mind!

In my opinion, for a hub motor ebike/escooter or a fixed-gear ebike/escooter, the current Davega is absolutely perfect and a total no-brainer add-on. It’s only for mid-drive bikes with adjustable gearing that the current Davega stumbles.

One possible idea I just had would be to use the extra space that this hardware change frees up in the housing to fit an optional GPS module, so the Davega can get GPS speed directly, rather than requiring a Metr or Robogotchi or whatever. Just a thought!

4 Likes

Mine crashes multiple times a ride so I benched it. Could this be why?

1 Like

I thought you determined that was because of a bad cable?

It’s complicated, but I think the disconnecting was 100% the bad cable. But the restarts I’ve never been able to figure out as no matter what I did, it never stopped power cycling

1 Like

The bad cable could cause that too. If some of the wires are breaking down, then you could be getting voltage drop along the cable that brings the voltage down enough that the DaveGa cant stay powered.

1 Like

This is something I never considered actually.

We should definitely get that sorted out. I’ll PM you.

2 Likes